Player Housing

Player Housing
effort 4.888888888888889 9 quality 4.777777777777778 9 reasonability 4.25 8

Been a while since my last suggestion. This one is a relatively simple idea (conceptually, at least). Each section is split up into drop-down tabs for your convenience.

Summary

The core of this idea is to have rentable/purchasable houses/buildings that players can set up base in. They would have preset interiors with customizable paintings, similar to the captains cabin. I believe this is preferable to having heavily customizable houses, as the styles would be unified throughout that city and there would be no work that would need to go into systems for placing furniture and whatnot. These purchasable homes would appear in most if not all major towns/cities, with variations of size and design based on where you are (adhering to the culture/style), replacing some of the currently empty buildings in each town. In each house there would be multiple beds (at least two, more if the house is larger, so small groups can set up base in a house), cooking pot, jewelcrafting station, etc. Additionally, houses could have a small safe that you can store up to a certain amount of galleons in. This would give players who don’t want to join player-made clans a way to store some of their galleons.

Players would have the option to either rent or buy their house, with renting being an ongoing, albiet minimal, fee, and purchasing being a one-time payment of a large sum. This makes potentially only renting a house for a brief period feasible. But for players who want to, purchasing a house would allow them to set up a semi-permanent residence in that city. I say semi-permanent, because the specific building you buy is not “yours”, instead any house of that type in that city would be available to load your house in after purchasing (this is true of renting and purchasing, though a rental would only last so long until you’ve got to pay again).

And, perhaps a controversial idea, but being inside your own house renders you invulnerable to PvP. However, you will be unable to enter your house if you are in combat. The idea is that houses could be truly safe spots for players who either aren’t interested in or aren’t good at PvP, but you couldn’t simply run back to your house if you were in a bad spot.

Couple more minor things

Your galleons would always transfer between safes. So if you rent/buy another house somewhere else, your galleons would be in that safe too. This is primarily a convenience thing, though I also see some merit in letting that be optional, so players could launder money at different abodes. Just a fun idea for those who want to play an outlaw.

And lastly, there are some areas where it makes sense to have strictly rentable properties, such as the lodging area at Sailor’s Lodge, or hotels in each major city that have smaller, less well furnished rooms but are cheaper than renting a house.

Pros/Cons

Pros:

• Would provide players with a way to set up a base on land which, although the game is based around the sea, is a nice thing to have. Some of my personal fondest memories of WoM were hiding out in abandonded buildings.

• Gives players more reason to repeatedly visit certain areas, allowing them to grow more attached to said areas. Giving them a “home city”, more or less.

• Encourages more role-play. Being able to choose more who your character is, instead of necessarily being forced to live on the sea. Simply being able to say “I live in (insert city here)” provides a lot of role-playing opportunities for those who are into that.

• Would provide players with a way to store some extra galleons (very useful for anyone not in a player-made clan, and anyone who simply doesn’t want to store their galleons in their clan for one reason or another).

• I imagine this would be far, far easier to do that clan island building, so this lighter feature could hold over players who want to make bases until clan island building is released.

• In a similar vein, Houses are a more PvE-oriented version of clan island building, which may be more appealing to a lot of players who don’t like PvP/don’t engage with clan features.

Cons:

• It might take some time to code… maybe? Really, there’s one new system at play here, not many (if any) new models. It’s primarily just a healthy reuse of (or perhaps expansion on) pre-existing assets.
Closing thoughts

Overall, while not a strictly necessary feature, player housing is a feature that theoretically wouldn’t require too much work, and could go a long way to making the game feel more grounded in its own reality, while also holding players who want to make bases over until clan base building. And players who want a base but don’t want to engage with clan stuff don’t have to! It’s the kind of feature that, while not being strictly necessary, has a major impact on how players perceive the game and that the game wouldn’t feel complete without.

Thanks for reading.

3 Likes

this is just in building update

what opticalord said, but I like the amount of effort you put into it. I also like the safes part, mabye they could add that to building, I would love that
5 star effor

1 Like

Yep

I really like this, it both speaks to my inner RPG geek and the fact that it’s just a generally great idea. And, with the Alignment Update on the way, might I throw out some ideas of my own?

I am a big Skyrim fan. I play it pretty often. And one of the coolest things both the base game and mods have done is give us many options for player homes. For instance, in Whiterun, after completing some odd jobs and larger tasks to become a Thane of the Jarl, you’re able to purchase Breezehome.

See what I’m getting at about the Alignment Update here? Maybe prices and what sizes of homes available to you could fluctuate based on your relations with an island. For instance, if you’re an absolute saint in the eyes of the people of Shell Island, you could buy some really nice house for a lot cheaper than if you were just some nobody passing through. This is assuming the island is in a good state, prospering and such. Conversely, let’s say you’ve ticked the people of Frostmill off, they hate your guts and would impale you Vlad-style if they could. You’re probably gonna get unfair prices or just outright not be allowed to purchase a home there. Or. You could run the state of the island into the ground, let it be overrun by bandits and such as is outlined in the roadmap. And then, in similar fashion to the aforementioned roadmap, they’d be too afraid of you to try and give you bad prices, and you buy a home for a (quite literal)steal of a deal.

Dunno how reasonable this is, it’s just the sort of thing that came to mind when I read your idea. And, it could be a good way to differentiate this from the building update.

2 Likes

I was thinking of similar suggestion, but except of safes i was thinking of being able to keep deckhand in the house instead of just saying bye to them forever.
But anyway, would be cool to spend tons of money on the house instead of ship

1 Like

This is a nice idea because since Kingdom islands will be granted to the top scoring clans that means other people won’t get to engage with the update (If it gets bundled in with the clan building update)

But since they can just buy a home they don’t have to no life on AO to do cool building stuff (Which is a big problem in Sandbox MMO’s)

In regards to the actual building itself I think it should be like Runescape where it’s basically a plot of land with tiles on a grid where you put whatever type of room and being able to customize said rooms and choosing where the walls could be and stuff (Farms too but won’t give as much as kingdown island). You could probably even make it so that the entire thing is just the farm. Because of this though PvP should still be enabled but only on the outside parts (But Vetex doesn’t like safe areas so idk).

Me personally I’d like Electric State Dark RP style of land building but that’s probably too hard.

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea. It makes the game feel more realistic than it already is for people who like to roleplay. Not just for people who roleplay as well, but for people who like pvp’ing or whatever.

1 Like

I loved having a house im WoM, even if it was just an area with your character’s name, so having a functional house in AO would be great.

yes.

It’s a more PvE friendly feature than island building, and I know a lot of people don’t care much for clans and PvP but would still want a base of sorts. To me, housing feels like a no-brainer feature, because it only expands the playable world without a huge amount of effort appealing to more people, and there is no lore reason for why you couldn’t buy a house.

Love the idea, but as you said probably not a necessary feature. Hopefully this comes later down the line when Vetex wants to make some smaller fun stuff :nod:

that’s true but it only applies to claimable, deserted islands, and assuming the nimbus and subsequent seas will be similar to the bronze sea, a good majority of the islands aren’t claimable and it’s a hassle to set up camp there, plus its great for immersion and overall more “realism”

2 Likes

Yeah! I actually thought about having alignment play a part, though I only wanted to propose the basics because, frankly, that’s all that’s needed, and if it were just those ideas I outlined I don’t think it would take long to implement. But (if this does make its way into the game), later down the line having alignments affect prices would be neat.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.