Simply put, this player’s job is to teach and train NPCs. Any time the player comes across a procedurally generated NPC on their “side” of Fame that is a lower level than them, they can train them to become stronger. Perhaps this involves a sparring match.
Here are a list of possible effects that training NPCs could have:
- The NPC’s level increases.
- The NPC moves to another location after being trained.
- If the NPC is a Marine or an Assassin, their position could increase as a direct result of the power you’ve gifted them.
- If the NPC is a Deckhand, they can only be trained by their captain. However, training them might increase the ship bonuses they give.
If you train the same NPC 3 times, they become your Disciple (similar to how Rivals work). They adopt your style of fighting (equip a weapon of the same type as one of your weapons, learn one of your fighting styles/magics). Like defeating your Rival, training your Disciple would have increased rewards.
Unlike Rivals, which spawn at random when the player is in the server, a Disciple only spawns when you’re significantly stronger than they are.
A good teacher is one who learns from their students. As such, training NPCs would provide a lot more XP than Galleons. Disciples could grant such items as:
- Equipment that they’re wearing
- Treasure Charts
- Lost Spell/Technique Scrolls, claiming they “don’t quite get it, but you might”