Proposed Intensity Rework Thoughts Thread

Hey all, the veil’s finally being lifted on what we’ve been working on for Intensity. This is one of a few proposals we’re feeling out; others have already been posting in the official AO Balance Discord. We’re just gathering some opinions on what you all think about these changes before proceeding. Take a look, and please inform me with any comments/concerns.

Intensity Rework

• Increased hazard size replaced by increased hazard damage.
    • Attack Size already increases hazard size, and there is currently no method of increasing hazard damage aside from levels.
  • Increased status effectiveness.
    • DoT statuses gain increased damage.
      • Running the numbers shows that this wouldn’t be particularly worrisome for amping DoT damage on its own; nothing should get out of hand, as DoT is still reliant on the damage of the hit that applies the status.
      • Requires less min-maxing than the current system.
      • Effectiveness is more fair than the current system. Plasma would retain its effectiveness with Intensity, whilst every other DoT in the entire game gains benefit from the stat that they currently lack.
      • DoTs would keep their natural duration / ticks, ensuring consistency when playing around these statuses and their interactions.
    • Blinding statuses retain increased duration.
    • Catalyst statuses would retain increased duration.
    • Stun effects would retain increased duration.
    • Knockback would retain increased strength.
    • Statuses that require a damage threshold to activate will have the threshold lowered by Intensity, at half efficiency.
      • i.e. Intensity giving 30% effect would bring Earth’s bleeding threshold from 33% to 28%, or from 17% to 14% with Ultimate Arts.
  • Would now increase energy capacity.
    • Energy cost for skills would scale off of your base energy capacity, rather than your total energy capacity with Intensity.
  • Would now increase offensive resources at half efficiency.
    • This includes Heat and Seawater. Should be coded to keep scaling fluid.
      • Thermo would have to be charged for longer to reach max effect with Intensity, but Heat loss would be slower.
      • Sailor would have to drink more Seawater to reach max effect with Intensity, but you’d be able to stay above 80% for longer, and would have to drink less frequently.
  • Increased Aura and Focus potency removed.
  • Ultimate Art cooldown reduction removed.

Goal: Provide Intensity much more varied use and dig it out of its niche, making it worthy to stand among the rest of the stats while ensuring its effects don’t just feel like they could be part of jewelcrafting. The stat becomes useful on almost all builds, rather than only on Plasma, or builds maximizing the effect of their Resistance Aura.

Results: These changes do give Intensity far more overall, encourages creative build-crafting with the stat, and gives it a ‘bonus stat’ identity that actually functions, compared to what we have right now.

Possible Issues: DoT damage being affected rather than duration makes it more applicable to most magics (rather than just Plasma), but does make it somewhat of a secondary Power stat on DoT builds. Could be changed if necessary, but the numbers aren’t too problematic (even full Intensity investment on Poison, which should be an extreme outlier, isn’t very efficient or particularly worrisome).

20 Likes

@Crimsonpants here ya go buddy

I see energy buff and i celebrate for my knight save

1 Like

Fr though, I could run an argos build and have a gimmick around bleed chip damage since it’ll be easier to apply now and is actually sustainable with increased energy caps, along with the added damage

As long as dot scaling is done right nothing proposed here should blow things out of the water, unless somehow a person finds out a way to blind people indefinitely or something of the sort (I dont know jack about magic synergies)

Please put a cap or something on the hazard/DOT damage, taking like 300 damage per second from a 400 intensity fire mage clicking 1 placed expmosion sounds awful

idk how to feel about this, intensity and modes seem only logical to be connected

if the issue is maximizing resistance modes then change the scaling so the other modes become more optimal with intensity, or make intensity scale with certain other substats depending on the mode (for example the more defense you have the less effective intensity is on your resistance)

Leaving being an outlier aside, I’d be surprised if the calcs proposed by the team hasn’t already mitigated something like this, but fingers crossed

On the other hand, the balance team has shown to be stupid time and time again

3 Likes

True that

This isn’t how stat scaling works. At the maximum possible Intensity currently achievable, you’d only be a little over doubling your hazard damage.

Resistance Aura is the only Aura that isn’t a set value, and the only one that can be affected by Intensity. Power and Destruction, for example, are 15% regardless of Magic/Style. Since we’re likely going to be standardizing Resistance Aura soon, Intensity would no longer affect it anyways.

2 Likes

Alright good, I really like this change now. Gives poison a reason to exist too

Hey, anyone know whats the formula for the lowering status activation threshold? As in, if i have say 30 intensity how much its reduced by? Thinking of trolling with my lightning mage…

E: im blind

good rework, but does crystallized count as a catalyst status

Crystallization is an outlier case I’m still considering. Should it have the damage of its shatters amplified, or simply gain more duration? Both are very beneficial to the magic, for greater rewards on shattering the status and for giving increased leniency on stacking and capitalization; it could go either way.

Both but at 50% effectiveness

1 Like

It’s basically everything I wanted for intensity. The focus on status effects and the increased energy/meter efficiency are stuff I’ve wished for ever since the balance doc first went public.

1 Like

Could definitely work, I’ll keep it in mind.

pls do i want to go full argos and do funny dmg with my ash cloud with having big health

idk about increasing dot damage and hazard damage, energy increase seems fair and interesting thoe.