PvE & QoL - Early Game & Ravenna

would probably be even more annoying than not being able to shiftlock, especially when approaching shipwright shops.

i will brainstorm more solutions

two i just thought of

1. change the animation so you hold the cargo or chest above your head, stopping players from bugging through walls

2. make the player’s collision hitbox extend to match up with the distance of the carried object, stopping players from bugging through walls

1. would look too goofy for a game going for realism
  2. would also end up being pretty annoying to deal with, probably more than just not being able to shiftlock.

yeah, these would be nice

1 Like

ship despawning might be good if the requirements are:

• ship is above [certain percentage]
    Boat is ensured to be at a certain health, meaning you basically haven’t fought anybody at all or only slight damage from ramming

• Player chooses if they’d like to despawn it
    To prevent the boat from just vanishing while the player looks away

• Boat must stay in the same general location for X amount of time
    Cannot sail away and despawn at the same time

• Boat takes 5-10 seconds to actually despawn after the button is pressed
    In case you’re being chased and someone is trying to attack you, extra time for them to cancel your despawn

• Player is not marked as “In Combat”
    self explanatory

5 Likes

Thank you? I don’t know if that was directed at what I wrote but thank you If thats the case.

1 Like

With player ship despawning, to prevent I suppose “Immersion breaking” it’d be nice if something like a tentacled monster drags your ship under. Just a thought I had. Would be cooler than just seeing your boat phase out of reality.

Ripples appear under your ship, increasing in frequency ever more by the second until eventually a roar. With one swift and decisive blow a collosal cephalopod turns your vessel into yet another decoration in the bedrock

8 Likes

it was

1 Like

something about that dialogue has me genuinely excited to fight this hypothetical guy and curbstomp him

Well Vetex will obviously write something different than I did, but I really appreciate your kind words towards my dialouge.

I made a suggestion for a toggleable outline for chest/cargo placement. The opacity of this can be reduced to make it more see through, and it’d share the outline design that camps use.

Alternatively, Vetex could just enable snapping it let us use a cargo or sealed chest as a snap point (it’d be more adaptable to any situation this way).

i dont know if this was said but i didnt see it, sometimes ships dont respawn and they teleport like 1 minute away after sinking

Storyline related idea:
By following the storyline a player will sail past the majority of the islands in the game (I drew a general path to track this, using the new Frostmill → Palo → Cirrus order)

From this you can see that 6 islands aren’t really in the path of any main storyline events.
These are: Akursius Keep, Silverhold, Whitesummit, Thorin’s Refuge, Elm Island and Mango Isle.

Half of these aren’t that important, or interesting to travel to. However I think Elm Island, Whitesummit and Silverhold could have some increased relevance to the story.

I think there should be a part of the storyline that requires you build a sailboat, (around Frostmill/Redwake) and then require you to add a crew to your ship (Redwake Crew satisfies). The quest will tip you off to the man stranded on Elm Island, but not requiring you to go there.
Since the Edward Keaton upgrade quest leads you Silverhold I think that’s a done deal.

Next, a story reason to visit Whitesummit (and most importantly Blackwater). Possibly after finishing the Cirrus Island story you are asked by Iris to investigate Whitesummit for clues, making you wear a disguise to not be attacked at Blackwater. There you ask if any ships have been seen leaving the stepstones towards Ravenna and a resident directs you to sailors lodge, apparently someone visited Blackwater and mentioned your name (Morden).

12 Likes

“You look like a warrior… Heading to the stepstones are we? You should know not to meddle in other peoples business” - An Order member who has yet to realise this is an honest misunderstanding

One QoL feature that I suprisingly didnt see mentioned at all - search bar in the inventory, to find specific items easier.
Another QoL thing could be a “ship” category, that shows sails, blueprints for cannons/hulls/cosmetic things and the cannons/hull/cosmetics that you have already built. Cannonballs might go there too, but not sure about that.
I am aware that “Shipyard” button exists, but you cannot use it when selling or trading, so you have to scower through the big inventory looking for something that could easily have its own category.
edit to make it look a little cleaner

15 Likes

Bosses should’t parry as much as they do right now, they already keep teleporting all over the place while using their skills. Why can they parry while casting…

2 Likes

IMO, the thing that is hurting AO the most is a severe lack of horizontal progression. Everything is almost always linear. For instance, towns don’t feel like towns… They feel like pit stops. The world should encourage players to return to islands, not leave them in the dust. That’s something that would be acceptable if this was a single player RPG not a massive open world adventure game.

One easy fix would be giving the Cargo actual substance. Instead of it just being a box of goods you can’t bother to inquire about, give it names. Grapes from Ravenna, Ice from Frostmill, Pelt from Redwake. . . and have the values shift in certain places during the life span of the server encouraging more than just mindless travel from the furthest point A to point B.

16 Likes

brings back the random quest system from WoM
Makes it give items on a streak, including sunkens and rare scrolls if the combo is big enough
Some quests require you to go from not-cyprus to frostmill with cargo on hand :thinking:

Keybind changing so i can actually enjoy the game

2 Likes