Rare/Lost Spell Idea: Turret

Rare/Lost Spell Idea: Turret
effort 4.642857142857143 14 quality 4.5 14 reasonability 4.416666666666667 12

Yet another sort of spell I’ve yet to see suggested: Temporary placeable traps or defenses as spells.

Turret is simple enough, here’s the gist of the idea:

A floating, autonomous but immobile sphere of the mage’s respective magic that will(thanks for the balance advice, SoifonFan) quickly fire Basic Magic Attacks(Could see a lot of customization here, such as multi-projectile volleys with higher cooldowns between each time it fires. With a higher magic skill level, you could set it to fire Blast and Explosion(dipping more into the traps territory here, where you could set them to use explosions when an enemy gets too close) spells at the nearest enemies(This could be customized as well, as in, you could set it to fire at the furthest enemies instead of the nearest ones)) for a short time before the turret dissipates.

This spell should cost a large chunk of energy to cast, probably scaling with a percentage of the caster’s maximum energy, since it’s basically automatically firing for you with none of the cost. The turret should be able to be destroyed by an enemy’s attacks, and the damage needed would scale with clashing strength.

Option 1 regarding Turret count: Limit players to only being able to place one turret at a time via a cooldown longer than the maximum possible up-time of a turret.

(Thanks Garlic Bread) Option 2 regarding Turret count: Make it so that the spell can be customized to have a certain maximum turret count, probably up to 5, with the general stats of the turrets decreasing based on the number you can place.

As such a high utility spell, I’d recommend a Magic level requirement of around 250-300.

Reason to add/change

Gank defense 101: Have someone(or something) watching your back. Besides that, having something like this could be excellent consistent ranged pressure in a 1-on-1 duel, allowing for you to distract or corner an opponent for highly aggressive maneuvers.

1 Like

“sentry goin’ up!” -engineer of AO
btw i smell some potential in PvE

4 Likes

More than likely, yes.

Fleeing from the Navy? Leave a surprise for them on the way. :slight_smile:

they gonna be stepping into war-specialized “dog mines” (earth mage turrets)

Make it destructible by another attack and we have a deal

3 Likes

Ahem.

Make it drain energy instead with each shot.

set up a explosion turret with 500 size

1 Like

I’d thought about doing that, but it could ruin some of the utility in combat, as moving around and fighting with spells might reduce your energy to the point where the turret will prematurely dissipate. 's the reason I chose a large cost to cast the spell in the first place(plus it makes more sense to ‘load’ the turret with the ‘ammo’ it needs to fire beforehand).

SENTRY DOWN!

(11 characters)

Seems alright, but I’m afraid that slower builds couldn’t destroy a swarm of these. These should have something like projectile count in blasts, but that could limit the turrets placed, with more possible turrets being weaker.

I was thinking about either something like that, or giving it a longer cooldown than its maximum possible up-time, so that you couldn’t cast more than one turret at a time. One person suddenly plopping down a veritable bullet hell’s worth of projectile spewers would be terribly unbalanced, no matter how you look at it.

Yeah, you should be able to either place one gigachad turret or max. 5 gradually weaker ones, with less time until evaporating.

1 Like

The concept is cool on paper but I’d say it’s too strong and abusable for something like mage to use, instead we should give it to warden who will have to sacrifice health to use it.

Ignoring that though having a turret that can shoot the same spells as the player sounds obnoxious in 1v1’s, especially if you’re using beams to auto aim with the turret while the player spams whatever mage bs they have.

Personally the drawback from using this as a warden skill would make it much more balanced. If you insist on it being a mage skill then it should just use really fast magic m1’s (maybe blasts at a higher level option).

Good point, ngl. Maybe Beam and Lost Spells shouldn’t be available for it and it should be, as you say, Basic attacks and Blasts. (Still wanna keep Explosions as an option, because being able to set up traps just seems like a good idea).

And yeah, I like the idea of Wardens being able to summon a spirit to attack and support them in combat. Maybe if it isn’t already included once Vitality builds get finalized, that’ll be an idea that we can push.

Like the idea I think it would overaly be pretty unique spell. To prevent creating bullet hell using this spell it’s cooldown may be equal to [orb lifetime + cooldown] with lowest possible cooldown equal to orb lifetime. Also to balance it out a bit maybe while prb is active it not just takes magic to be created but reduces your max magic energy by some percent while alive. And how about being able to slowly pull orb to yourself if you use ability while orb already exists?

I like it, would make idk magic build moveset more diverse instead of blast, explosion, beam, and leap.

Possible subclass of Playstyle like a defensive mage or something, I like it very much.

Something very similar was proposed back during WoM. Wouldn’t surprise me if it did, or didn’t, get added down the line in some form.

Vetex has generally speaking kept a good chunk of the ideas from it into the game now. Notably Javelin clearly being “Locking Blast” given how it functions:

1 Like

Yes.

Quite a good idea, customisation options could be when editing the spell:
Amounts fired - More shots for less damage and vice versa
Firerate - Quicker firing for less damage with higher spread(?) and vice versa
Turret range - Higher range for less damage and vice versa
Turret type(?) - Firing turret (magic blast) or landmine (magic explosion)
(Landmine would function as a multi-use, if they get in it’s range it sets off and won’t dissipate until it’s timer ends or is destroyed, that way it works with the other customisation options)