Remnants of Winterveil: The Devourer

[ This is Part 2 of the series I’ve created around the Remnants of Winterveil. Visit my account to find the first part. ]

The dark and gloomy skies were lit in a display of orange and red hues as fire burst forth into the scene. General Argos and a platoon of Ravenna Soldiers have reached the docks only to be met by a barrage of cannon fire from the Winterveil fleet, destroying several infrastructure and killing dozens of men. Once the dust settled and the docks have been cleared of troops, the fleet engaged in an assault on the caverns seeking to take control of the stronghold.

Arvidsson: “Weapons free, men! Save the prisoners, spare those of importance, butcher the rest.”

The crowd of Winterveil warrior howled a visceral battle cry, but in the distance a glassy figure was seen flying past the crowd and into the flagship of the fleet, splitting it in two with minimal effort, General Julian has arrived on the scene and quickly attempted to dispatch of any vulnerable troops.

Graham: “You lead the charge here, Admiral… I’ll deal with our little curse user.”

As fire spread from beneath Graham’s feet, he quickly leaped and intercepted the glass figure, breaking it out of its form in a barrage of burning punches, landing in one of the spires near the caverns.

Just as General Julian had been intercepted, Argos slaughtered his way through the measly troops Winterveil called “warriors”, their valor broken by the mere sight of this hulking figure as he points towards Bjorn Arvidsson.

Argos: “ADMIRAL! How I hoped to be the one to slay the infamous Bjorn Arvidsson, to watch the light drain from your eyes as Winterveil’s last stubborn ruler draws his last breath.”

Arvidsson: “General Argos…”

Little words were needed to be expressed by the Admiral, he had known who this man was… the Lion of Old Ravenna, the most loyal general of his kingdom’s destroyer. Finally in front of him, he had rehearsed every line and yet now… all he wanted to do is drive his sword through the man’s chest.

Suddenly, both figures dashed upon each other, Argos’ halberd locking blades with Arvidsson’s greatsword, both would move as quickly as the other, each clash of their weapons shook the earth beneath them as it slowly gives way. The both would fall inward the caverns as they kept up their barrage of attacks. After some time, they’ve dug about three-hundred feet below sea-level which caused the entire caverns to flood as they fall into a large cave with several scrapes and scratches on the walls.

Arvdisson: “Wh-what the hell is this place…?”

Argos stood atop a small hill, where an obsidian blade rests… the general grabbed the hilt.

Argos: “I must thank you, Admiral… if it weren’t for you my mission would’ve taken months… no, years to accomplish! But now, you’ve given me exactly what we have been looking for, how pitiful of Winterveil to still continue to strengthen our kingdom while it drowns in its own blood. Killing you with this sword changes nothing… but no matter, I will still butcher you with it!”

The general leapt towards the Admiral, Bjorn reacting quickly would use his titanium gauntlets to block each and every blow from the general as he countered with jabs and kicks. It is astonishing that the old man could move so quickly, but he was younger, faster, better. He was able to grab small rubble that was sharp enough to pierce through one of Argos’ exposed shoulder. The general would howl in pain as he retreated deeper into the caves. Bjorn had no time to chase him, the caverns had already flooded and that it would only be a matter of time before a cave-in. He lept towards safety.

During this battle, Julian and Graham were also engaged in a fierce duel. As Graham used his great attunement with the flames, Julian did what he could to stop the warrior, changing his fists into sharp daggers of shards as well as completely turning his body back into glass to resist the scorching heat of Graham’s burning embers.

Alas, the battle ended in a stalemate, neither force could overpower the other… that is until Bjorn rejoined the fight. Sensing that his ally was still alive but gravely wounded, Julian saw this as a sign of strength and recognized that he could not win this battle. He had once again used his abilities to launch himself to the nearest Ravenna Sailboat and had the crew retreat.

Julian: “Return to Ravenna at once! Argos has been bested and we have lost our footing. We must muster up a retaliation force and recover the wounded.”

The ship would immediately flee, Southeast of the Bronze Sea towards Ravenna. The Remnants of Winterveil were successful in destroying the stronghold, but what Bjorn and Argos found deep in those caverns would ultimately change the fate of the entire War Seas. Had he just doomed them all?

3 Likes