Remnants of Winterveil: The Whispering Caverns

[ DISCLAIMER: This tale is related to the first post I’ve made “An Arcane Odyssey: Remnants of Winterveil” and takes place between the Fall of Akursius Keep and the Present Day. ]

Y1842

On a desolate island by the far west of the Bronze Sea, a mining operation overseen by Ravenna Centurion Augustus has taken place away from the public eye. However, information regarding this operation did not fall on deaf ears amongst the Winterveil Fleet whom set out to disrupt their project and take any spoils of war for themselves.

Arvidsson: “Are you sure this is the right place to strike? Ravenna’s generals are starting to catch onto our exploits and have secured majority of their strongholds, we can not lose any more of our men to mere skirmishes.”

Graham: “I assure you, Bjorn… this operation was allegedly motioned by the King himself. If he has interest in it, then–”

Arvidsson: “Then surely it’ll be in his utmost interest to protect his little project. What are we to gain if we do disrupt this operation? He may send more men to look for us.”

Graham: “Not if we kill the generals that are to arrive there. Their deaths would surely shake the King’s bravado and make him think twice about underestimating us.”

Arvidsson: “Generals? Do you know whom exactly?”

Graham: “I am uncertain, only that one of them is a close confidant to the king. An old warrior from before his reign too.”

Arvidsson: “…when are they arriving?”

The following morning, several ships who flew Ravenna’s colors were seen approaching the Whispering Caverns. Centurion Augustus eagerly gathered his men to greet the esteemed officers who have come to see him. Out steps a hulking figure, clad in crimson, gold and bronze armor. The towering figure was accompanied by a smaller, but equally powerful man whom also had red and gold armor.

Augustus: “Greetings, generals! I am most pleased you have spared time from your busy day to join us.”

Argos: “Set your formalities aside, Centurion. Julian and I have an urgent discussion to have with you.”

Augustus: “O-of course, sir! Please, follow me.”

The three men would enter a watchtower, the personnel whom were stationed within quickly left the room and posted themselves across the island.

Julian: “The king worries that–”

Argos: “The king worries of an adversary long defeated, we crushed their cities, desecrated their corpses, and built our glorious empire on their ash-filled graves.”

Julian: “Yes, you’ve said that already, Argos… but this is what the king demands and you know that any form of insubordination will result in his ire.”

Argos: “…Centurion, several sightings of a fleet that flies the banner of a snowflake were seen by Frostmill Island, have you seen any?”

Augustus: “No sir, there hasn’t been a ship other than that of Ravenna’s for a few days now.”

Argos: “Until the king is confident in this operation’s security, Julian and I will remain here to serve as protection… but also to ensure you remain in schedule.”

Augustus: “We shall not disappoint his excellency.”

The project would continue its operations as more and more prisoners of Ravenna were shipped to the mines in order to recover valuable ores and minerals. General Argos and General Julian would often have visitors, cloaked in almost shadow-like attire. Their identities unknown to both the prisoners nor the guards, but they knew better than to question it.

Aesir Disciple: “The king wishes to learn more of what you have uncovered here, Baron.”

Argos: “The artifact is yet to be located, as far as I know we’ve dug about one, maybe two-hundred feet beneath sea level. I highly doubt we’ll find it within two months.”

Aesir Disciple: “Is it not unwise to have your prisoners look for such a powerful item–”

The walls and earth would rumble as several explosions and screams can be heard outside of the room. The figures would quickly leave and attempt to flee the scene as General Argos and a few Ravenna soldiers would rush outside to confront those who would dare attack them.

[PART 2 WILL BE RELEASED IN THREE DAYS]

2 Likes