Roblox is Doing it Again

“Roblox: Powering Imagination The Downfall of our Company”

To talk about this a bit more;

This is obviously a very bad idea. Like Theoretical said, if any Roblox or UGC items are equipped on a player, a button linking them to buy the item on the catalog is mandatory. With UGC items in particular, you will need permission from the UGC creator to use the items in the first place, and players can report your game for including UGC items even if you have permission. This will require you to send proof that you have permission. Knowing Roblox, I doubt they will accept “proof” that was offsite like on Discord, and would rather use Roblox’s completely redundant and forgotten messaging feature. This isn’t pen and paper licensing either, just a verbal agreement of sorts.

This affects a lot more games than you would think. Catalog creator games like Catalog Heaven and such already include ways to buy the items you equip, they just wouldn’t be allowed to let people equip off-sale items or limited items. Games like Arcane Odyssey, Royale High, maybe even Blox Fruits will need to remove these UGC and Roblox marketplace items, or add a popup which links the player to buy the item. For Arcane Odyssey, this would heavily ruin the immersion. Imagine trying to set your hair to the Beautiful Hair only to have a pop-up in the corner of your screen linking you to buy the hair, and it would not go away unless you unequipped the hair or you own the hair. That would be ridiculous!

A lot of abandoned Roblox games will be deleted because of this, especially tycoons that let players equip Dominus’s and Flying Carpets.

Roblox players and developers are very unhappy about this. Roblox will most likely revert this change, since it will affect more than half of the actual gam- ahem… experiences, on the platform. Roblox’ stocks have dropped, and may continue to drop, and I would imagine a lot of major games will go private and go on strike until this is fixed.
Vet’s livelihood is Arcane Odyssey. Alone he makes about $2k a month off Patreon, so he will need to use his savings to pay bills, food, etc. He may not even have money for taxes soon. He will be one of the most vocal in regards to this change I feel, since the only items really that aren’t UGC or Roblox marketplace models are the Argos weapons.

7 Likes

Another day, another terrible platform update

2 Likes

they better undo this or over half of the developers (big and small) will just have their games removed, effectively killing themselves off from the start

Something just as oppressive and annoying as the ‘go to our app’ when you leave popup? Oh boy, I can’t wait!

5 Likes

would this include packages too? If that’s the case then 2.0 would need to be replaced as well

…So they not only take a bunch of profit that the developers get (which some people need), but now they’re telling them to buy all of the items in a week too? This kills off stuff like catalog heaven, roblox highschool, nearly every roleplay, and the motivation for new developers who want to make gam-i mean, experience. And those aren’t the only things on the list either.

Thank you, Roblox, for once again proving that you don’t give a crap about people who literally fill your damn pockets.

Packages are provided by roblox themselves- I don’t believe that would be taken down. I mean otherwise, every game with custom characters is just boned.

Powering imagination!

Oh for goodness sake.

First was the ToS changes causing a bit of a stir, but good on u for making that and the Audio Privacy thing look near laughable.

3 Likes

“Quick! Damage Control! Disinterested Corporate Response Deployed!”

7 Likes

Vetex watching helplessly as Roblox screws up his games with their updates for the 1 billionth time:

3 Likes

we all know this change isnt even gonna make them any money either

“Oh roblox broke the physics and I have to disable beast instinct. Well I can get back to that later-”

“Oh.”

3 Likes

Us watching as Vetex’s second good arcane game dies due to a roblox update

this is depressing. I don’t want another unfinished AA. I am excited for what Arcane Odyssey’s future holds but this very well could make it so AO doesn’t even exist.

Roblox couldn’t just watch unity take their spot as the worst company around

5 Likes

wuhduheeel ohhhmagah

Welp, if so…

Lets get to work boys…