Ruins of Charon Pt.2

← Pt. 1

Xavier got a letter from the magic council two days later.

Dear Xavier
We hope your wife is happy. Anyways we are struggling to obtain diplomatic relationships with the War seas and would like you to head to ironport. Once there you will board the MoonNight and head out to the war seas. The Grand Navy will be waiting and don’t be afraid to show them your powers if it will help our cause.
Also, relating to recent events, no dark wizard was found in or around Charon. Another magic council captain went into the volcano, but the obelisks you spoke of were not there or were engulfed by magma & lava.

Xavier read it again in case he was missing anything. He then shouted across the house from the front door, “Abby I have to go out for a couple weeks, the magic council wants me to help establish relationships with the Warseas.”

“Well, don’t be gone more than 3 weeks or I’ll get worried,” Abby said with a huff as she entered the room. “Oh, at least make sure to eat something healthy.”

“Yes, yes I will eat healthy food. See you soon,” Xavier called heading out the door.

The walk to Ironport was uneventful. No one jumps a magic council captain without fear of death. A dark wizard had tried attacking Xavier once. The wind spell they had cast was countered by a bolt of magma that burned the wizard horribly.

Xavier arrived at Ironport and went to his favorite shop and bought an ice cream cone. After finishing the ice cream he went looking for the MoonNight. It took him an hour to find the ship and board it. Once aboard he took a second to look at the ship. It wasn’t small in the least and had seen its fair share of ocean travel, maybe also a white-eyes or two.

“Captain, where shall I be sleeping while we sail to the War Seas?” Xavier asked Captain Morden who had been helping load crates onto the deck.

Morden finished hauling a crate onto the deck for someone else to move. He then turned around and looked Xavier up and down. “You’ll be sleeping below decks like the rest of the crew. Will that be a problem?”

“No,I was just curious. Also, can I help with these?” Xavier replied, gesturing to the crates.

Morden looked at Xavier as a boy would look at a strange new bug they had found. “You aren’t like the rest of the captains I’ve met. If you want to be helpful, use your magic to lift these crates as long as nothing gets burnt it should be fine. There isn’t anything fragile in these crates last we checked.”

Xavier spent the next two hours helping finish with the crates using his magma magic when he could and lifting with his hands otherwise. Some starter wizards came and helped as well to try and earn a reputation. Once all the crates had been put below deck and ready for transport the ship left harbor and headed east towards the Bronze Sea.

Xavier watched Magius drift away. He had never left the continent before and was having second thoughts. Then Morden came up behind him, “Hey Xavier thanks for the help man. If you want to claim one of the hammocks, do it quick before it becomes a madhouse down there tonight,” Morden surprised Xavier.

“Oh. Ok. Will do. Sorry I’m not used to sea travel. I have never left Magius and I wonder what tomorrow will bring.” Xavier replied gazed back in the direction of Magius which had just drifted over the horizon.

Morden leaned against the railing, “Well tomorrow we will be in the dark sea. That’s why we hire trained magic users or mercenaries to protect us. The Dark Sea is scary,” Morden shivered a little before continuing, “I once manned a crew of men. That was my first time sailing across the dark sea and all but one of them were lost in the waves of time. The other one lost all his memories.”

Xavier looked over at Morden. His face was rugged and scruffy with age but he seemed to have a permanent look of sadness etched into his handsome face. “Well tell me when I can help when we’re in the dark sea.” Xavier asked.

“I won’t tell you. Just if you feel anything bump the boat you get on deck as fast as possible. No one cares if you are wearing your night clothes or just undergarments. Get up here as fast as possible,” His voice seemed to get quieter as he continued talking. Morden stood up and walked to the ship’s wheel and began shouting orders to the crew. Xavier took that as his cue that the conversation was over and headed below decks to claim a hammock before the rest of the crew came. Xavier chose the closest hammock to the stairs so he could respond to any threat as fast as possible.

Xavier woke up the next day and stretched. It didn’t really feel like day though. Xavier went above deck and was frozen in place. The sky was coated in clouds and he could sense the magic emanating from the water and air. This place was filled to the brim with magic and was dark. The only light was lightning in the clouds that came without sound. Or a random flash of light that had no origin. Over on the horizon a sad little spectral vessel floated in the shape of a rowboat. “What idiot would take a rowboat into the dark sea?” Xavier asked Morden.

Morden glanced at the rowboat, “I have no idea but whoever that one guy was they are almost certainly dead.”

Part 3 →

2 Likes

not as good as the 58 sonic and luigi fanfic i wrote (and yes i actually made this somewhere)

you didn’t even read it… sighs

ok ill read it :pensive: