Sailor Style Seawater Discussion

Sailor Style is often criticized as the least fun fstyle. Personally, I don’t dislike it, but it’s easy to see why people do.

I’m making this thread to see if people can think of ways to make the water meter more tolerable. Reducing the hunger required is a given, and is already being suggested.

I’ve thought up/discussed some ideas already, e.g.

• reaching max size/damage before 100% meter, in return for seawater draining quicker
  • always maintaining max stats but seawater is on a timer (base sailor still viable)
  • “seawater flask” that you passively drink while sailor is equipped and not using skills

However, I’d like to see a lot more ideas than just these. Try not to suggest changes that would require a nuclear physicist to properly understand. Sailor should still avoid being overly-complex.

Note: This is not a thread about stat-changes or unrelated mechanics for sailor, that's another topic. This is purely regarding Seawater and how it's obtained/maintained.
3 Likes

Can the 10 Sailor Style users pull up I need discussion.

1 Like

I think the first idea of reaching maximum stats before 100% meter (maybe around 80%?) in exchange for Seawater draining a bit faster would be nice. Having to be so careful about throwing anything out makes it pretty much the anti-Thermo, and turns it into a drag to play. If you miss, it’s not just your ability going onto CD and you resetting to neutral: you’re punished due to the Saltwater drain.

I think another problem of Sailor Fist that needs to be addressed is the ineptitude of Fighting Styles in the water. Sailor Fist should thrive in water fights, yet it just … doesn’t. Crash can only skim the surface of the water. Smash does nothing while in water. Shot can’t be aimed underwater at all. Rushdown is already buggy enough and is even worse in the water.

The Fighting Style based around water only has the option of M1ing while in the ocean. If that changed, you’d see a lot more use from this style. It’d be a nice option for countering the ever-so-present plague of water-addicted runners.

8 Likes

combat in water with most things just really sucks.

better idea:

19 Likes

3 days 3 responses Sailor is doomed ig

could’ve sworn there were at least like 30 of them knowing how good it is on a warlock build with lightning or ice

The attacks should use an Archimedean spiral which slowly reduces in radius using the function r=i(1−(θ/(2tπ)))

Where i = initial radius of the spiral circles and t is the number of turns/spirals

t = θmax/(2π)

This would add to the unpredictability of sailor fist and to make it 3d just give a constant velocity in the direction it was aimed at like attacks already do.

Alternatively it could be just slight bobbing

This would effect shot

I think crash and rushdown should be bobbing back and forth in a sinusoidal pattern

It would also only be active if you charged up an attack fully and instead of a +50% size increase, it would be +75%

Edit: simplified

Sailor Fist is a style defined solely by Soaked synergies, which makes it incredibly unappealing because it quite literally doesn’t work with anything except for Warlock

Needs a rework or sumn new to actually make it appealing or else it’s gunna be this unpopular forever

Sailor fist is more or less in the same boat with sunken sword, both are mediocre unless you make a build specifically for them

Pristine made a really good point on how fighting styles are overall just garbage in the ocean, because of this issue you are never able to use the sea water bar to it’s fullest when you should be able to.

Also, with the addition of potions coming soon, i think that maybe the sea water bottle could be upgraded if it gets brewed with other potion ingredients, making it no longer drain hunger upon consumption.

Honestly the seawater flask sounds pretty valid. Would be really cool also if you didn’t need to worry about the bar when it rains, so it just passively stays up or drains slower.

This wouldn’t make sense, sailor style gets its meter from saltwater.

Seawater, but since there’re magical clouds in AO they’re probably not too different from the magically irradiated sea

1 Like

Isnt magic radiation stored in salt?

Not sure tbh

Trusty Bronze Seawater Canteen

2 Likes

I always felt like the ocean should be the main way to get seawater at all times, and seawater bottles being a last resort/gimmick if you’re either on a sky island/high up area you need to stay at like Othrys or if you’re fighting or something and can’t reach the ocean.

2 Likes

hi cryo

should i stop replying to every mention of the agora in vetcord with
“its an odyssey feed conspiracy”

1 Like

Uhhh idk thats up to you.