Shark Hunting for Complete Beginners

This is my strategy for shark hunting (one of my favorite things to do in AO).

The worst mistake for shark hunting is going deep underwater. That runs the risk of running out of stamina and drowning/getting eaten.

Finding sharks is easy, if you’re looking for sharks that aren’t sea monsters other than poison jaws, go to a diving point with more than 10 chests or use throwable bleeding potions on the water (1 shark tooth and 2 regular pinecones is all you need). If you’re looking for lurkers, find whirlpools. If you’re looking for obolus, check under your boat all the time and see if you can find a blue glowing orb. That orb is an obolus. If you’re looking for White Eyes, go to the Dark Sea and wait until you hear a roar. That’s a Giant White Eyes. To find where it is, take command of your ship and peek underwater, and you should see the White Eyes.

The best abilities to use for each build are:

• For conjurer/knight/warlord, use the quickdraw ability on a bow (stormcaller). Quickdraw has good damage and range, making it a useful tool for shark hunting. Warriors use the same strategy, but with a choice between siren bow, atlantean bow, and stormcaller.
  • For warlock/mage/paladin, use beams and blasts at a distance. If a shark gets too close, use an explosion spell. If you only have magic that burns underwater, use shark hunting attachments, muskets, and bows.
  • For berserker/juggernaut, use shark hunting attachments, muskets, and bows.
  • For savant, use any of the abilities above if you have them.

How to shark hunt (up to poison jaws):

It’s a very simple strategy, go underwater, use whatever ability your build should use (listed above) on the shark you’re hunting, get back on your boat, and repeat. Note that when you get on your boat you, should get on the crow’s nest (the thing below) using airstep, leap, or air movement abilities because some sharks (especially if you’re using a caravel), will simply go through your ship to eat you. The crow’s nest is only on caravels, brigs, and maybe ketches, so use those ships to hunt sharks. Make sure to sail away from the shark before going back underwater to avoid getting eaten by them.
Screenshot 2024-06-21 090204
The crow’s nest

Shark hunting attachments should only be used for white eyes and obolus. You want to aim a little ahead of the shark, aim a little bit behind it, and repeat (attachments need to be aimed directly forward before aiming anywhere else).

I’ll add examples when I feel like it. Anyway, I hope this helps you kill marine life!

4 Likes

nice thanks