[Short Story] A Lover’s Mission [2/5]

Angelie looked closely at the crumpled up letter that seemed to have been folded multiple times. The handwriting itself was pretty tidy but a lot of what was on the letter didn’t make sense to her. The letter read:

“Dear Falcon,

Time is running out. Do remember the debt that you owe to this guild? If you do not bring back the item as planned, we will hunt you down. It would be very worrisome if we were to end on such a conclusion. When dropping off the item, please head to the secret tavern near Mount Seawatch and we will meet you there.

Sincerely,
Co-Master Raven.”

Nothing really made sense to Angelie, but based upon the letter she had a little idea of what was occurring with her husband. The question lingered in her mind on why her husband would keep such a secret.

“I don’t know what’s going on, but I must find this tavern! I will find you George!” At the time of sundown, Angelie exited her home with a red scarf around her head, the letter in the pocket of her dress, and a dagger stashed away. She quickly went up to a group of travelers that seemed familiar to her since they occasionally stop by to Summer Hold every once in a while.

“Please sir? May you please bring help me get to Mount Seawatch?” One of the travelers scratched his head.

“I don’t know lady, Mount Seawatch is quite far away and can be tough to get to from here.”

“I have money.”

“Well why didn’t you say so, come on with us!” Angelie then accompanied the group and went off of the path in front of the gate. As she looked back at the town, she could hear the hustle settling down as night approached and could see the various amount of lamps turning on.

After about an hour, the group was somewhere in the middle of the forest. Animals could be heard all around as the group stayed closely huddled together. As they were walking, Angelie happened to be next to a young boy no age older than 16.

“So, are you traveling with your parents in this group?”

“No.” A silence then followed after the boy’s answer.

“Well, why are you here?” Angelie asked.

“I have no other place to go. My parents left me so I had to learn how to fend for myself. I, at first, had nobody. I was alone and going from job to job. That’s when I soon joined these guys and I’ve been working as a merchant since.” Angelie then grew with sorrow for the boy.

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. You know, when I was a little girl, my father left me as well, except one day he went to sleep and never returned back. I’ve always wondered what he was like and what type of games I could of played with him or the walks around town we would share. I guess it’s nice that now you have so many people to be around!”

“Is there anyone around for you?”

“Why yes my… husband-” Angelie then grew quiet. She gradually started to remember all the joyous moments she had with George. The question then lingered more of where George was and if there was a possibility that he left her just like the boy’s parents.

“We’re here. This is the only secret tavern that I know of near Mount Seawatch as you said on the way here.” One of the travelers said. Around the area there seemed to be an abnormal amount of camps around the forest area.

“Thank you all, especially you young boy. I hope to meet you all again.” Angelie slightly bowed to the group and they slowly went on their way. She then turned around a took a deep breath and started to walk up the mountain.

Angelie then went up to the entrance to the tavern. When entering she first noticed that it first looked like a cave and not a tavern. She couldn’t see much but by the glowing mushrooms in the cave, she could see the silhouette of a doorframe. She then started to slowly open the door.

When she opened it, a burst of light entered her eyes as the sound of men laughing and yelling filled the room. It all dwindled down as they all soon realized the presence of Angelie. Soon, all of the men were looking at Angelie.

Angelie skimmed the room with her eyes and noticed something quite strange. Most of the men there wore regular bandit attire which would be expected at such a place like this. What grew Angelie’s surprise was that some of the men wore the same red cloak as the man she had seen earlier that day. The men in cloaks had their faces covered up with their hoods, but each one had a pin of a bird ranging from a woodpecker, a robin, and even an owl.

She knew exactly what was going on. It seemed that each member of the group has their own bird to mask up their identity.

In the front of the room stood distinctively two men. On the right stood a tall man with an eagle pin on his cloak. On the left, stood a cloaked figure with a raven pin. These were exactly the people she was looking for.

2 Likes

I’d use a question mark to end that.

I’m pretty sure the scarf would be around her neck, but let’s continue.

If the tavern was so hidden, why would this letter be so easy to find? And why would a random man in the guild give away information about themselves? How the hell did this woman not search her husband’s drawers for like 20 god damn years!?

At, first, I had nobody

How did he “disappear” in his own sleep? Do you mean that she was put to sleep one night and he vanished?

Convenient for us, but I don’t think a guild would give themselves away to travelers. Let’s just assume the tavern is amazingly hidden but these people somehow found them. Yeah, you’d think they would kill common folk that find the place, right?

The ending was a little bit janky as well, but overall, the story was decent. Good job.

1 Like

Fixed :sunglasses: :+1:

Sorry if it was unclear but I was imagining like a head scarf like dis

What Angelie was trying to mean was that her father went to sleep and died in his sleep and metaphorically left her and never returned

Bob the Builder can fix that :hammer: 👷‍♂

Basically the disappearance of her husband is recent hence the reason why she’s just recently handing out the missing flyers in the first chapter. When the cloaked guy in the first chapter dropped the card, she noticed that it had an image similar to something that she had seen in her husbands drawer but didn’t fully analyze since she never really thought of rummaging fully through his stuff.

Yeah I guess it is a bit convenient now that I think about it since it is supposed to be well hidden. It’s supposedly where Angelie is looking for a tavern in Mt Seawatch and one of the travelers are like, “Oh, I just so happen to know a secret tavern in Mt Seawatch!”

With the part of the killing, I’ll get to that at the next chapter as she’s just now entering the tavern and people are just realizing her entering.

In all, thanks for the comments OhHey!!! :cookie:

Good response to everything but the fifth point I made. I know a person in her husband’s guild (or so we think) gave her insight about his guild, but why would he do that? Why would a guild try to hide their HQ or hangout place so well (which apparently they can’t) but not their social secrecy? It doesn’t make much sense. What I mean by this is how easily people can just spread word about something, in this case being the guild. I wouldn’t want my guild members to spill the tea everyday, especially since our cover is blown.

1 Like

If you’re talking about the group of travelers that she was with: The travelers themselves aren’t apart of the guild but it’s a well known tavern to certain groups of people (villains) so Angelie basically explains to them that’s she’s looking for a tavern near Mount Seawatch and they happened to know where it is.

If you’re talking about the red cloaked guy that told her about her husband being apart of the guild then there’s a reason that I can’t say :mariomug:

Are hinting that these travelers are secretly evil?