[Short Story] A Lover’s Mission [3/5]

Some of the men then stood up from their tables, most with confused expressions on their faces.

“Who’s wife is this stumbling up on in here!?” One man shouted.

Another shouted, “Who’s this barging on our tavern?!” Another man even made flirty faces towards Angelie, Angelie returning a disgusted face back.

As she scammed the room once more, glass lanterns hung up against the cracked, white stone wall. On the left edge of the room stood where the station was when people wanted something to drink. The floor was made out of a light wood, yet puddles of beer and alcohol scattered around it.

What seemed most familiar was that the sections of the red cloaked men never stood up and casually went about their business.

When the two men in the front of the room in the red cloaks noticed Angelie, a brief whisper between the two occurred and they went towards Angelie’s way.

As they slowly walked towards her, silence in the tavern started to build up. When they entered about halfway, Angelie started to build up with fear, taking her left foot behind her. She froze as she didn’t know what exactly to do.

Suddenly, one of the cloaked figures stopped, looking straight ahead at Angelie. The other one kept walking until he stopped right next to her. The person beside her had the raven pin as she saw before, inferencing that the letter that George kept away in his drawer was from him if her theory was correct.

The raven pinned figure then put their arm around her shoulder and began to speak, nudging her a bit close to them.

“Men, there is nothing to fear. This lady is a visitor of ours that must deem respect from you all. Do I make myself clear?” The men around the room agreed, even the groups of the cloaked figures. “Grab this lady a drink bartender! What do you want?”

The eyes in the room then directed all towards Angelie once more. Angelie’s fingers began to shake from her nervousness.

“Uhh… waters fine please.” The cloaked figure’s hood was covering his face, but he raised his head by an inch and his mouth and chin were seen from outside the shadow of the hood.

“Water?! That’s such a boring thing to drink in a place like this! How about we get you something… special!” The bartender then started to whip up something in the back. Angelie felt hesitant.

“No please I-” Angelie was then quickly interrupted.

“No please I want some liquor now! Was that what you were going to say? I feel as though we know each other already so… so… well.” The man then look directly at her, quickly then putting a smile on his face and shoving her over to the bar with his hand still around her shoulder.

“The Tranquilizer sir.” The bartender then pushed over a tangerine colored drink in a tall, lengthy glass. Angelie became frightened as she didn’t know what else could be in this drink. Anything could be in it. Poison, Sleeping Medication, Spoiled Milk, anything could be in this one glass.

“I see your hesitant about drinking it. I promise you nothing that will kill you is in that drink, I am known to have never lied. See, I’ll even drink it with you!” The man than took the glass and poured it into a smaller one. He then took the glass, put it up towards Angelie’s face, and poured it all in his mouth.

Angelie became more relaxed as these people didn’t seem as the frightening monsters that she thought them of to be.

Another cloaked figure walked next to Angelie and started talking to her. He seemed to have some sort of bag behind them but the effects of the drink seemed to have caused her to be tipsy.

“Just curious, how did you find this place anyways?”

“Well, it’s a long story. It really a starts with my husband.”

“George you mean?”

“Yeah George, he’s a great man. Recently I’ve been looking for him since he’s recently gone missing. I was then-” Angelie stopped for a moment.

“Wait… how do you know about George…” the figure stood quiet. Angelie then started to feel pretty dizzy with her seeming to be blacking out.

“You s- said there was n-n-nothing in th-this drink!” Angelie yelled out.

The other masked figure then spit out the drink that he had supposedly consumed earlier. “Oh, there must have been a misunderstanding.” Said the raven-pinned cloaked figure. Angelie’s eyes began to open and close every other second. “I said that there wasn’t anything in there that would kill you. Don’t worry, you’ll just be asleep for a couple hours. Sleep tight!”

Angelie’s consciousness started to fade away and soon, she tilted over the chair next to her and passed out.

4 Likes