[Short Story] A Lover’s Mission [5/5]

“Oh Angelie, what did he get into indeed? So many questions are lingering in your mind as to how we’ve all came down to this very moment!” Raven then slowly began to walk towards Angelie while the room stayed silent. His footsteps against the stone floor echoed all throughout the room.

“Get away from her!” George yelled across the room. He then began to charge at the group of cloaked figures in front of Angelie and Raven and began to fight them.

Each swipe he made was filled with forceful anger but the cloaked figures held their ground. About a third of the figures had some type of sword, so they all took turns clashing against him as if they were passing around a toy. The rest of the cloaked figures stood on guard with their magics ready for anything that would happen.

After a couple of seconds, Raven finally reached where Angelie was held captive and squatted down to her level. He then grabbed her head and twisted it around with great force towards the direction of where George was fighting for his life.

“Don’t you find it suspicious Angelie how George, or should I say Falcon, was able to somehow appear out of nowhere? You could be anywhere in the world right now and apparently he’s alive and healthy, here to come rescue his queen?!” Raven then began to laugh chaotically as the sound of clashing began to get even louder.

The cloaked figures with swords began to form a circle around George, still attempt their trick of taking turns. George felt aggravated and when one of the figures came to swoop in, George ducked and cut the legs of one of them. He then quickly rose and slashed the remaining enemies. All that was left were about 8 cloaked figures with magic ready at their disposal.

“You see Angelie, your precious George isn’t all that he seems. He disappeared on you and now you’re in danger because of him. He was apart of a guild that you weren’t even made aware of, but that fact was all too late to be known when George went missing.”

One of the figures fired multiple fire blasts at George, with George quickly dodging them. As other magics began to be shot at him, he noticed that one of the fire blasts hit a patch of grass, causing it to be lit on fire. George then hid behind a large rock and reached his sword out for it to be caught on fire by the lit patch.

George breathed in a lot of air and then released his body from behind the stone with his fiery sword in his grasp.

He then began to hack away at each of them, taking out about half of them within a couple blows. One user used their ice blast towards one of his feet, causing him to get stuck. He was almost able to pull his foot from the freezing ice when a crystal blast was aimed towards his other foot, making him completely immobile.

Raven started to clap his hands together very slowly as he stared at George’s frantic panic.

“I do have to give you credit Falcon, you were able to find our location. How you were able to do it, I have no idea, but I knew once you heard of your wife being kidnapped you would flock over here. I believe we’re both aware that spies exist in the guild, but instead of being helpful, they accidentally lead you to your end. Oops on them!” Raven then continued to laugh hysterically. He then looked back as a voice started to yell from behind him. It was Angelie still in restraints, but she appeared to be crying from both eyes.

“George! Why did you leave me?! What did I do?!” George looked up at Angelie with a face full of guilt.

“It was never you Angelie… it was me. There are things that you don’t know about me, I had to grow up in a darker past to survive. That’s when I later joined this god forsaken guild!”

Raven then started to pout with his lips very heavily. “That’s so sad. At least you’re a proud honorary member, or were anyways. Oh, please do tell Angelie here as to why you exactly left her. You may have been living a second life, but that doesn’t explain why after all that time you decided to leave her only of recent times.”

George looked directly at Raven with a deathful stare. “Do you think I’m here to entertain you?”

“Well, in every shape and form yes. If you won’t tell, I will.” Raven then ordered one of the cloaked figures to bring him a wooden chair. He then flicked his cloak and sat on the chair with his legs crossed.

“Your husband here was granted a very important item to our guild that he was supposed to transport, but never did. We had sent him a lovely reminder letter as to the concern but we sooner found out that he had left so abruptly and had gone full incognito.”

“That doesn’t explain why my wife was forcefully dragged in all of this!” George was still frozen to the ground as the ice began to make his foot cold.

“Oh George, we never dragged her into this, just kindly nudged her into the right direction. You see, after talking about your wife for so long during your stay in the guild, we decided to send one of our own into Summer Hold to make it informative about the true secrets of your disappearance. Once she knew a little more about you, it was only a matter of time where she would come all the way to us looking for you. You have a very loyal wife on your hands.”

Raven then reached out a small dagger from the pocket of his cloak. It was small, but the handle of it was a type of golden color. As Angelie watched, Raven approached George while having a smile on his face.

“Wait… no… what do you think you’re doing!” Angelie had screamed out. She kept on screaming and screaming, but she felt as though she wasn’t heard. She had moved so much from the chair that she had accidentally flipped herself over. Even after falling, she still attempted to nudge herself to George.

A cloaked figure quickly went behind George and snatched his sword away from him. It was a very simple steal as George seemed as though he has no more energy left in him.

“George, cmon, I forgive you… get out of there okay? We never got to raise a family, you always said how you wanted a daughter and a son! Please snap out of it George! Why aren’t you trying?!” Angelie still felt voiceless as Raven was even closer to the lifeless form of George. George had given up and all that stood in the stuck ice and crystal was the husk of a body. George had felt as if he had ultimately failed.

Raven stood next to George, asking him one final question. “Do you have the item George? This will all end if you just give it to us.” George then shook his head following with no movements at all.

“I kinda liked you George, but the boss has ordered me to kill you if you didn’t give back what’s ours.”

Raven then rose his hand with the dagger in his hand. Time seemed to had slowed down for Angelie as everything seemed to be going frame by frame like a movie.

“GEORGE, NO!!!” Angelie had yelled out. A spark of life had entered George, but by the time he had looked up to see his wife’s face, the dagger was already inserted into his neck. Raven had then let go, and made a hand signal to then release Angelie.

Angelie had ran over to George as the ice and Crystal had then disappeared, and all that was left was George laying down, basically lifeless. George had then looked at Angelie with his both beautiful eyes, with tears rolling down his face.

“I’m sorry Angelie. I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to provide the life with me you wanted.” All Angelie did was sit there and cry.

At that moment, the rain had stopped and light shown though the crack of the church onto George’s dead body, with Angelie hanging over him. Nothing had mattered to her.

The thought of what the item was, the cloaked guild, the raven-pinned man, George’s disappearance, nothing had mattered. All that Angelie could do was cry. Her attempt to save her true loved failed, and there was nothing she could do to return him back.

Though sadness filled her heart, all she did was reminisce of the times she had with George and what could of been. She thought of the potential family, and a better home. She thought of growing old with him. She thought of having grandchildren. It all ultimately didn’t matter now, as her mission of love had failed.

5 Likes

That ending hits like a bullet train man.

1 Like

F in the chat

Another great piece