[Short Story] Benedrik's Travel Journal

little story i wrote, because i was bored ( I would love to hear opinions on this and i dont mind critics! it helps me improve c: )

August 18th 1883

It has been a while since I sailed. The captain, Electra Nimbus invited me to a journey that would take us to lands that have not been explored yet. I am excited but also nervous. I will pray to the gods of olympus that this adventure does not take a bad turn.

August 20th 1883

Final preparations are underway, We will be sailing on a beautiful ship. Captain Nimbus (Odd name if i do say so) told me it is a Brig, Its name is the Duchess of Zephyr. Its sails are a deep red and the hull is a dark colour. Something tells me I’ve seen this colour combination before but I just cannot put my finger on it. Anyway I will write more when we set sail.

August 23th 1883

We sailed! It is wonderful to be on the sea again. For the last 12 years I’ve been stuck on Ravenna, Beautiful island but gets boring once you’ve explored it enough. I also found out that Captain Nimbus is a lighting mage and that the point of this journey is to not only find unexplored lands, but to also find ancient scrolls and even Sea Curses. I’ve only read of Sea Curses in the scrolls , I’ve heard that on the sky islands further north there is a person that has absorbed one of these Sea Curses and has become an immortal tree. I wonder if that is a reward or a prison.

August 25th 1883

I’ve never thought there was this much in the Bronze Sea! We passed by what Captain Nimbus told me was ‘Windrow island’ , But he told me that we should keep going as the island is inhabited by criminals and a group of individuals that do not like visitors. He says we will pass by Mount Othrys tomorrow.

August 27th 1883

We passed by the mountain a bit later than we hoped, A storm passed over so we had to set anchor. I thought Ravenna was huge but this island is enormous! Maybe like 4 times larger, or even more as Captain Nimbus told me the only way to get on top of the island (Which was way too high to climb) was to navigate a large cavern that was pitch dark and impossible to navigate without a light source. When we return to the Bronze Sea I will definitely attempt to explore Mount Othrys.

August 29th 1883

Captain Nimbus was not kidding when he said it would take a while to get around the mountain. But we managed, As soon as we got around i saw many more islands in the distance. One was large and Captain Nimbus told me that the island was called Samaria and that we were on our way there to choose a direction to start our adventure. When he told me this I thought that he was kidding. We have not even started?

August 31th 1883

We arrived in Samaria! This island is amazing, It is much larger than Ravenna and looks way nicer as well. Though I would not mind less sand, it gets everywhere. Captain Nimbus told me we were gonna stay in Samaria for a few days so I was free to explore the island while he gathered information at the city. Yet something feels off with the crew. I do not know what but I will write later. I have exploring to do!

September 3rd 1883

Captain Nimbus told me that we would be sailing further south. And that we were leaving in a few hours. I wished we could have stayed longer but we do need to continue. I’ve also seen that some ships seemed to be avoiding ours, Staying away. Anyway, I will write more when something interesting happens.

September 9th 1883

We just got attacked by pirates. Well at least they tried to. When we were sailing, When a ketch started trailing us, Captain Nimbus might have not realised that they were pirates (even though there was a skull like pattern on their sails) and told the quartermaster to raise the sails and stop. When the ketch however came next to us the crew suddenly threw hooks onto our ship and started boarding us. When I was about to run for the captain’s quarters to find shelter, I felt my hairs stand up and suddenly a flash of lighting was seen. And suddenly the pirates were gone. I saw Captain Nimbus standing with his arms outstretched and I realised that he was responsible. I’ve never felt terrified and amazed by a single individual. The crew also just started taking the cargo from the pirate ship as if it was normal business. Who is this guy?

September 17th 1883

I’ve not written for a while. The main reason being that I was enjoying the sea too much and completely forgot. Second, There is nothing interesting happening. The seas are calm and the weather does not bother us. I honestly thought that the seas were wild like my parents told me but now that I am actually here it seems like the waves are clearing out of our way. Captain Nimbus told me that we might have to go into a place that he does not like but finds necessary for his task, The Dark sea.

September 24th 1883

We are on the border of the Nimbus Sea and the Dark Sea, I can see a raging storm in the distance and I question why anybody would want to enter such a place, But if it is necessary then I presume there aren’t many other options. Captain Nimbus tells me (I swear that name is just so odd) That the Dark Sea is dangerous and we should make sure we are ready. May the gods show us mercy.

September 27th 1883

By Hades! This place is pure hell! Captain Nimbus told me to stay inside the captain’s quarters as the waves kept sweeping the deck. I have no idea how the crew manage to hold on but they seem calm enough. We have been sailing for a full day, and I keep hearing distant roars, Yet the captain tells me not to worry. This place is pure insanity.

September 29th 1883

We have arrived on land, I never thought I would be so happy to see solid ground in my life. The storm keeps pouring down and it never stops and the rain feels acidic. It was hard to sleep at night. When we arrived on land the crew stayed behind on the ship and Captain Nimbus told me that if i wanted to explore he would accompany me, I accepted and we ventured into the island. The first few hundred metres were fine until we saw what seemed to be a shipwreck, But it was on land and I saw people next to it. Captain Nimbus told me to get behind some rocks as he started approaching them. I could barely see what was going on due to the rain but I saw flashes of purple, blue and red. Captain Nimbus later returned holding a glob and later explained to me that it was a piece of skin from what he called ‘Atlanteans’ Which were the creatures we just saw. We returned to the ship after some exploring and found some shards made out of a black material which I stored in my bag.

October 1st 1883

If i knew what we would experience i would never accept to go on this adventure! We were sailing when suddenly the crew sounded the bells and I looked out the window to see another brig approaching us. After it came close enough it started firing its cannons at us and trying to ram into us, Captain Nimbus’s skills seemed to pay off as he managed to dodge most of the cannon barrages and completely avoid the ram. After a fierce battle the ship was sunk and we sailed off quickly, Captain Nimbus later told me that was also an Atlantean. I will never return to this place ever again.

October 8th 1883

Finally, We decided to head back after the 12th Atlantean attack, Captain Nimbus had collected quite the treasure of black coloured chests and ‘skin’ of the atlanteans he slayed, I still have no clue what he wishes to do with them but seeing he was a mage he probably knew something that i did not. I cannot wait to be back.

October 19th 1883

We finally made it out of the Dark Sea. It did not take that long surprisingly. Maybe we were sailing alongside the border all this time. Never felt this good to see pirate ships in the distance in a normal sea. I have been informed that we will be sailing towards Samaria to sell the treasure he acquired and then return to the Bronze Sea. This has been one hell of an adventure. I’ll give you that.

November 1st 1883

We arrived back at the Bronze Sea, We took a quick stop in Samaria like mentioned earlier and then set sail again. I must say that these objects that i’ve found are interesting, i will catalogue them when i arrive back home. Ive learned alot from this trip, Even though it did not take as long as i expected and we never found these Sea Curses but Captain Nimbus does claim that he found scrolls with powerful origins, but cannot or will not give further information.

November 9th 1883

I have returned home to Ravenna, The weather is starting to get colder, Winter is coming. I have collected quite a few objects of study which include; 8 Shards of black material, multiple Flora obtained from Samaria and The Dark Sea, a piece of skin of an atlantean & A purple diamond that Captain Nimbus gave me as a gift. I will never forget this journey, I will continue to write my encyclopaedia but for now i will take a break.

3 Likes

very cool use of perspective. a lot of the fun stuff abt this is what the story doesn’t explicitly tell you, leaving you to put the pieces together yourself using your own game knowledge

obv theres a ton of grammatical errors and stuff but that gets sorted out with time and experience

other than that sometimes the writing feels stiff or forced (like how it’s weirdly polite for a private sailor’s log, or how it goes out of its way to explain stuff that would only be necessary to someone else reading his journal), but i feel like some of it might (intentionally or otherwise) characterize benedrik as this sort of overly professional, strangely self-aware guy. like he knows he’s probably gonna die at sea so he writes his stuff down in his best trade english and adds context in case someone finds his notes long after he’s gone

for a journal there’s surprisingly little about his feelings and opinions beyond the simple “the dark sea sucks”, “that sure was an adventure”, “this guy’s name is weird”, and “i wanna go home”