[Short Story] Bored Warriors (I changed the dialogue because I forgot)

In the heart of Rubica, the bustling capital of Ravenna, stood a woman named Dame Caesennia. She was a formidable figure, a Ravenna Centurion with a reputation that preceded her. She had earned her place in the ranks not through magic like many of her peers, but through her sheer mastery of weapons and tactics. With her keen mind and unwavering determination, she had become a true force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.

However, on this particular day, Dame found herself far from the battlefield. Instead of leading her century of soldiers, she was patrolling the city streets as part of her civilian duty. It was a necessary task to ensure the safety of the capital, but Dame couldn’t help but feel a sense of boredom and restlessness. She donned her Centurion armor, a gleaming set of steel plates that covered her from head to toe, wondering why such elaborate protection was needed for something as minor as pickpocketing.

As the sun cast its warm golden glow over the city, Dame leaned against a wall, her thoughts wandering far from her current assignment. She watched the people go about their business, the vibrant tapestry of life unfolding before her eyes. But despite the colorful scenes around her, she longed for the adrenaline of the battlefield, the clash of steel and the dance of combat.

Just as her mind was drifting into a daydream of battles won and foes vanquished, a figure in a grey hood suddenly appeared before her. Startled, Dame straightened up, her hand instinctively resting on the hilt of her great-axe. The stranger’s face was concealed, his identity shrouded in mystery.

“Fight me,” the stranger declared, his voice firm and unwavering.

Dame raised an eyebrow, her curiosity piqued. It was an unexpected challenge, but she welcomed the opportunity to break free from her monotony. With a confident grin, she unslung her great-axe from her back and shifted into a battle stance.

“Very well, my shift is nearly over anyway” she replied, her voice laced with a hint of excitement, a feeling she has not felt for a very long time.

As the stranger cast off his hood, revealing a face framed by shadows and determination, Dame’s eyes widened. His appearance was unconventional, but his aura radiated confidence and a touch of mischief. In his hand, he held an iron sword, its blade gleaming in the sunlight.

The duel commenced just outside the city gates, the clash of steel ringing through the air as the two warriors engaged in a dance of skill and strategy. Dame wielded her great-axe with precision and power, each swing calculated to outmaneuver her opponent. The stranger, however, displayed a mastery of glass magic, commanding shards of glass to deflect and counter her attacks.

Their fight was intense and exhilarating, each movement a testament to their expertise. Dame’s bronze flintlock added a surprising element to the battle, as she utilized it with a deadly accuracy, firing shots that demanded the stranger’s attention and agility.

As the sun began to set on the horizon, the duel reached its climax. Both combatants were breathing heavily, their determination unwavering. In a final exchange, Dame’s great-axe clashed with the stranger’s iron sword, the clash resonating with a thunderous echo.

They stood locked in that moment, gazes locked and hearts racing. Slowly, the stranger lowered his sword and smiled beneath the hood.

“You’re not as bored now, are you?” he quipped.

Dame chuckled, a genuine grin spreading across her face. “No, I can’t say I am.”

From that day on, a unique bond formed between Dame Caesennia and the mysterious stranger. Whenever Dame’s duty drew to a close and her shift was almost over, the two would meet outside the city gates for their duels. Each battle was a chance for them to challenge each other, to push their limits, and to break free from the constraints of their daily lives.

Dame found herself looking forward to these encounters, relishing the excitement and camaraderie they brought. And though the stranger’s identity remained hidden beneath the hood, their connection transcended appearances. In the midst of the clash of steel and magic, Dame discovered a newfound sense of purpose and adventure, and she knew that as long as they kept dueling, her life would never be boring again.

3 Likes

Nice story! A tiny gripe, it treats “Dame” as if it’s her first name, but I think her name is actually Caesennia, and Dame is just her title.
DameDefinition

Oh wow I didn’t know this! Thanks for your help!