[Short Story] NPC testimony : An Old Sailor's Tale

(Before you read this, just know I’m not a native speaker and I had to translate major parts of my dumb writing using machine translator because I’m not skilled enough in english to write a full story, so the english is probably not that good.)

-An Old Sailor’s Tale-
"I don’t even remember when it was. I was young, that’s for sure, and carefree ‘bove all. It must’ve been thirty or forty years ago, to tell you the truth, aha.

Hired as a sailor by a small shipowner in the north, I took part in a lot of journeys on the Black Rose! But that one really made an impression on me, it even changed my life, as I gave up the sea to retire to this little island (I’m surprised you stopped here, by the way).

So, the lads and I went off to get a drink at an inn while the rest of the crew unloaded the cargo at the docks. Aaaah, I remember the smell of hops in the tavern-keeper’s cellar! It stank down there, probably because he hadn’t put his barrels away properly. You know, my uncle always told me, you’ve got to lock your barrels properly, and use good wood! Anyway, I digress. Basically, we came out carrying huge barrels that were going to make us drunk that very evening. So we put everything away in the calle and started to set sail. The captain, Rickley or Ricky I don’t remember, came to see me and said “I’ve got a bad feeling about the trip, be careful”. He said this to me because I was petty officer at the time, but I didn’t really know what to make of his “be careful”. So I let it go and went off to play a game of cards with Nev’. And then- Hey, kid! You listen to me! I’m sharing my experience with you, the old sailor that I am!

Well, we’re all joyful, but there’s a little problem: we can’t agree on who’s going to drink nothing to keep the boat afloat if you see aaahaha. So the captain starts to get annoyed, and forgets to check the course. We start driftin’ towards waters that look like they’re stormy, and the boat’s rocking back and forth! And then, weird thing, I assure you, even when I met this crazy mage it was less strange, we hear a big noise behind us. And then, bang, before we even had time to turn round, waves the size of mountains were crashing down on us! I’m the lucky one, I was close to the mast. I can say that even my wife had never held me as tight as this piece of wood! After several seconds, almost an eternity for me I tell you, there was a groundswell that came back and swept me away. At that moment I really thought I was finished! “Goodbye Barbs! You’re going to die swept a’ay by that water monstrosity” I thought to myself. It was horrible, I think the shock even blinded me because I could only see bright white everywhere.

But in the end, I woke up unharmed on this godforsaken island. At first I wanted to go back, but with all the fog coming out of nowhere and the scare of my life I had, I decided to settle down here in peace.

So not a bad adventure, eh? Was it? Well… where did the kid go? Oh but that’s his boat over there ! Hey you cheeky bastard, you didn’t hear the last part ! Raaah… he’s headin’ back to the mainland, he’s realised it’s all lost here. That didn’t stop him from taking the old chests I’d thrown into the cave tho… Young brats love money these days.

I wonder if the others survived back then…

But then again, was I really with other people? Or was it on a rowboat? Aaaah, my memory isn’t what it used to be.”

1 Like