Small wiki rant

okay so im an on-off editor for the wiki, and i noticed that it kinda went to shit lately.

Now in terms of the pages themselves, they were all formatted correctly so i don’t have any problems there. Maybe a few had incorrect data or whatnot, I havent played AO enough recently to notice, so I don’t really care in that regard.

What i do care about though is how many irrelevant and incomplete pages there are on the wiki nowadays. For example, some editors decided to put unconfirmed trello and old AA era magics into the magics navigation box:

Now i can excuse gravity and whatever magics this leviathan boss will use being put on the navbox early, but THIS IS FUCKING ABSURD! New players who look at the wiki for information will see this and think “oh cool i wonder where i can find those” WHEN THEY ARENT EVEN PLANNED TO RELEASE FOR YEARS!!! WHY?????

Also the admins pushed the UI page to the top of the top navigation, which is just a very stupid change no one uses that page at all. All this does is make it more inconvenient to access pages people actually use (such as stat builds and magics).

Worst of all, someone censored my edit for the castaways page literally 1984

2 Likes

I don’t like the wiki for much but I thank them for that because it is a very stale joke

11 Likes

I agree

Lunar and storm are both in the trello, Storm magic being under “lost magics” tab, and Lunar being planned for Leviathan.
As for the second row, they most probably stem from the fact there are elemental curses of them that are confirmed to have existed. Darkness curse was wielded by Kessler Boreas, Slash by general Avery Walker, Wave by general Zaix.
Aether lightning should probably be moved to “miscellaneous” magics, alongside enchanting, steam and dead revival, as it’s not really a canon one either.
I don’t know about the rest, though.

i believe aether lightning is canon, not sure about poison lightning though

gravity is also confirmend

I didn’t mention the one alongside flare and aether because we know about those characters

“Miscellaneous magics” aren’t even a thing. For one, it isn’t a magic categorization type used on the trello (therefore is unofficial and has no right being on the wiki). For two, none of its contents are actually magics. Enchanting is its own system, steam is an imbuement not a magic, and dead revival isnt in the fucking game and has no reason to have its own page (same goes for aether lightning).

your welcome

Ah, I ended up fixing this up after I saw it was reverted back to two lost magics.
First I just re-added gravity, then it was Storm and Lunar.
I decided the new criteria should be that the magic must be either programmed or planned to be programmed.

Dead revival magic appears in the same universe, meaning there may be players who want to find out more about it.
Imbuing a hot magic onto sunken sword or sailor fist won’t show the imbuement as “fire magic”, for example, instead it will say “steam magic”.
Cataclysm magic is a custom magic used by vetex. It is not a canon magic, but it’s a magic nontheless. There are many videos of Vetex using it and many interesting traits that a curious player may want to know about.

yeah wtf

I’ll agree other than the fact that “miscellaneous magics” doesn’t exist as a category.
It’s miscellaneous, it contains things that would otherwise be uncategorized

also what happened to ancient magics? they’re literally on the trello

Also frostmetal magic was mentioned in-game
Slash and Wave magics are mentioned in Zaix’s journal

Once again, I’d like to keep the navigator template with just programmed and planned-to-be programmed ones. However, I don’t see the unincluded ones being deleted.

If they are mentioned in game they are canon, which means it could make sense to be there.

Source: some random vetex post honestly i don’t have time to search

Gravity will be in the game next update so it deserves to be there but the others… even if they are confirmed, havent even been developed yet

1 Like

no but maybe a confirmed to be canon tab or a mentioned in game in trivia spot

Alalea and King David Silver also exist in the same universe, should they get their own pages in the Arcane Odyssey wiki?

Steam magic still does not exist, even with that technical error on Vetex’s part. To call it as such would be grossly misleading.

Vetex directly designated cataclysm magic as a “Custom magic”, hence why there is a category for that on the navbox.

I guess Equinox also doesn’t exist, even though you can make it by combining shadow and light and visibly see it in-game.