The Ancient Magic dilemma

idk optie? it was probobly a cool imagine this happened thought not a theory

Idk why everyone keeps believing this, that was made before AO even released

Strength weapons can only be used by warlords and they were said to be best if used by them but decent if used by warriors or berserkers…

Guess what? Only warlords can use them :dotted_line_face:

My bad that Vetex has official misinformation.

Personally I think hybrids should be able to use ancient magics/fighting styles.

Mages get:

• 1 Ancient Magic
  • 1 Lost Magic
  • 1 Base Magic

And they have all of these with the maximum amount of spells and customization possible. Every ancient spell, every ultimate art, shape and whatever.

Now let’s use a Warlock for example. They get:

• 1 Lost Fighting Style
  • 1 Lost Magic
  • 1 Base Magic or Fighting Style

The amount of powers they get are the same for both Warlocks and Mages (3 total), but one of these powers is stuck at a lower tier than the Mage’s. Also, Warlocks would have less than half of the available spells, techniques, and customization with each of these abilities. This is objectively weaker. They do have imbuement, but Mages are getting a way to combine magics too (albeit differently).

Ancient-on-lost imbuement isn’t guaranteed to be “too powerful to be added” like some people say it is to justify locking ancients to pure builds. Just use a different formula for ancient imbuement so that even if all of the ancient magic’s stats are above 1.0x, when imbued it still applies nerfs to whatever the lowest stats are.

also I want electron conjurer, GIVE ME JETSTREAM SAM BUILD!

the real reason curse users are so strong is they can actually use ancient magics as a hybrid

What I find interesting about vetex’s wording here is that he says ancient spell type rather than ancient magic

So you’d have the rare spell types we have now, lost ones later on (probably exotic rarity), and ancient spell types (prob legendary rarity)

So it could be possible that hybrids do still get to choose between ancient/lost magics but they are just locked out of ancient spell types due to high level requirements

1 Like

note he says that as an example

besides lost magics will prob have a higher req than lost spells

Darkflame not being canon is a shame

Kid named DubiousLittleTyp0:

dubious shut up you use shadow magic

Alright then parry julian in that one cutscene

When people say “Strength comparable to a curse user” I’m always gonna ask “WHICH curse user?” They vary in power immensely, so the level at which a mage is as powerful as a curse user is completely arbitrary.

Beringer was weaker than out-of-prime Argos and his soldiers. Valencia could hold her own against Morock for a significant period of time. Trigno and Rupin were absolutely cracked, I think in the sixth sea they were supposed to be over level 1000 but I can’t find my source for that anymore.

Further proof of the fact that no mage is plainly “stronger than a curse user” is General Veridia. She is stronger than Zaix but got killed by Avery. Both Zaix and Avery are curse users, and Veridia could beat one but not the other. Both mages and curse users vary wildly in power, so when you say someone is stronger than a curse user you need to specify which user you’re comparing them to.

3 Likes

I’d assume the average experienced curse user in combat, note the AVERAGE. He’s around the middle of the scale of curse user strengths

Who’s he?

Theos

I don’t think we have a confirmed average unfortunately. Personally I’d estimate Theos to be very far above the average curse user. He is stated to be able to give Arsen a run for his money, the level 1250 Ash Curse user. If the AO MC saves the world at level 600 then 1250 is definitely a huge deal.

We see curse users in the War Seas get pretty powerful. I’m not even gonna get into Wotan since I see him as an extreme outlier among curse users, being as powerful as he is with just a base magic curse.

Nero Caesar singlehandedly razed a kingdom to the ground with his ancient magic curse, which sounds super impressive… But Theos was beating Acheron in a fight both times they battled, Acheron who wiped out 80% of all life with a single blast. And even in his last few years of living, Theos could kill Undead Prometheus all on his own.

1 Like

i think most curses are surprisingly closer in power than you’d expect, a lot of the op curses have been reconned and those that remain are usually external. Yeah sure a lost magic curse is inherently stronger than a base magic one, but a base magic curse user could train to be able to beat the lost magic curse user if they had enough resolve. I think the only reason Wotan is an outlier is because of his IMMENSE strength, not ability to outclass other curse users, and I’m pretty sure his lightning curse son could also outclass most lost curse users. (unless we fight him far earlier in the story than I’m expecting and he’s actually fodder)

1 Like

It’s all part of the bigger picture

erm actually I use 1 million magics (possibly infinite magics) so therefore I by default know how to use all of them :pinching_hand::nerd: