The Celestial Warrior | Chapter One - Dawn

Dawn…a time of awakening, of new beginnings, as my father would say.

And the time when I woke up.

Blinking rapidly, I let the sun rays peaking through the sliding wooden blinds of my window. The heaviness of my limbs still very much present, and it sucks. The energy slowly flows back into my veins as I gently get up off my bed, throwing the blankets off of my body and onto the floor. Whoops!

“That won’t do…” I mutter to myself as I get up off the bed, and onto my feet. It’s cold in my bedroom, but that was because of the light morning fog settling overhead outside. Stumbling over to my wardrobe, I picked out a nice red Hanfu with golden accents at the sleeve ends. Deftly putting it over my shoulders and sliding my arms into the wide and flexible sleeves, there we go. Much warmer!

Sliding open the window I took a deep breath of fresh air, eyes closing as I took in the pleasant aura outside. Fresh air was always amazing to me, I don’t really know why my sisters don’t like it in the morning.

Sighing, while closing the window, I turned back towards my bedroom. Oh no, my blanket was still on the bed. There’s no way grandfather would let me leave my room if he saw this…

Quickly, I made my bed before hastily making my way outside to the washroom. The wooden floor was cold, and my feet were not ready for it.

Washing my face in the basin, drying it off with a towel, and then brushing my teeth, the door slides open as I finish and I take a step into the hallway. Taking a look at the sun, “Oh! It’s nearly time for breakfast-”

“-and why are you being so loud in the morning, eh? Apolo?” a voice chirps to my right. Wait- WHAT-

Jumping nearly ten feet into the air, I landed, huffing.

“Luna, you can’t just sneak up on me like that!”

“Why not?” she asks grinning,

“I almost-” I stopped, there’s no winning an argument with your sister, especially if they’re younger… “…….”

“Oooohhh, speechless?”

“Hey!”

A door slides open.

“She’s right……” another voice groggily remarks, “You’re really loud in the mornings.”

“Stella? Not you too….” groaning in mock exasperation before smiling slightly. “Well good morning to you too!”

Wiping her eyes, Stella blinks slowly, her Hanfu haphazardly put on, her usually long and flowing hair a bird’s nest. She’s slouching, which I find kinda funny. Smiling slightly I stare at her in amusement. Eyes slowly focusing on my face she asks, questioning,

“…what are you looking at?”

“You look like you just rolled out of bed!”

She immediately reddens. Before brushing past me towards the washroom, to the sounds of me chuckling and my sister full on laughing.

“Well, see ya downstairs Apolo!” Luna grins, before smacking me on the nose and then immediately retreating to the safety of the washroom before I can even retaliate with a simple hey.

Instead, I blink in confusion, barely registering what she did. “WAIT- LUNA! YOU-”

Laughter coming from the closed door of the washroom……

Luna really knew how to strike a nerve, though it was all in good fun in the end! Which I can appreciate honestly.

My getas were sitting outside my door, where we always leave them. Sliding my feet into them, I make my way down the winding hallways to the Solar Rise, where we usually prepare our food. Tiled, oriental roofs slanting towards the sky almost majestically. The tip of the tower-like building piercing the morning fog that still blanketed the island.

Immediately, the smell of delicious food invaded my nose as I neared the Solar Rise, masters and pupils alike were leaving the bordering temple hallways and stepping into the large courtyard ready for breakfast. Steaming hot food was sitting outside on stone tables, in bowls, and were waiting so invitingly for me to devour.

“I smell some really good food!” I shout excitedly as I ran straight towards the table.

SLAM! The air was almost knocked out of me as I ran straight into my grandfather’s (dad’s side) arm, conveniently shoved in the way. Lockley laughed heartily, “HAHAHA! Good morning grandson!”

I was on the floor, recovering.

“Come on grandpa! The food was so close….”

Grandfather laughed and hoisted me back up, “Enjoy yourself then!” patting me on the back and nearly knocking me over, luckily, it brought me closer to the table.

Eventually, all the pupils, teachers, and masters made it out of their rooms to the central courtyard and we were all happily eating. Personally, the steamed buns and spring rolls were my favorites. The tea just made everything all the better!

Luna and Stella happily ate beside me, sitting down on one of the many benches scattered under the cherry blossom trees in the courtyard. Looking much less disheveled from before, Stella’s hair was tied up in a high bun, so it wouldn’t get in the way of training. Meanwhile, Luna’s hair was in a ponytail, reaching all the way to her waist.

My parents walked out of the Solar Rise. Large, brightly decorated wooden doors slowly opening as they entered the courtyard.

“Grandmaster!” “Master.” Everyone bowed politely, “Good morning.”

“Good morning everyone!” my dad said amiably, “Let’s hope today is another fruitful day of training, here on Cloudchaser Island!”

The trainees cheered, while my grandfather (dad side) laughed heartily, “You call that a morning speech son? David…have I taught you nothing? Your wife is much better than you in the morning!”

My dad was silent, cheeks slightly red, as everyone laughed in good fun. My mom giggled quietly behind her hand.

“Poor dad!” Luna giggled, “Ah that’s hilarious.”

Stella silently smiled, while slowly eating her noodle soup.

Everyone ended up clearing out of the courtyard into our designated training areas for the day, where we’d practice the Celestial Fist style. Balance, balance, balance, is what the masters would always say whenever they taught, and every student understood the importance of it.

“Remember! Students, the way of the Celestial Fist promotes balance above all else, to keep an open mind to the possibilities, and to never stop improving! Please remember this as we go through practice today!” Master Roshin says loudly.

Each student firmly nodded, and then we began.

Punching firmly forward, I leapt into a flurry of punches and kicks, trying my best to maintain perfect balance. Spinning around with a roundhouse, before launching into a few more punches on the stone dummy.

Somebody tapped my shoulder about an hour later, and on instinct, my leg whirled around to kick for their head. Master Roshin ducked easily.

“OH! Sorry Master!”

“You’re getting faster, Apolo.” he remarked smoothly, “Your parents want to see you. It’s about your magical training.”

I put my leg down, and nodded quietly. “Okay, thanks for telling me!” before I made my way out of the training hall back towards the Solar Rise.

I pushed open the large wooden doors, looking at the red and gold dragons and designs carved into it. Before looking forward and seeing my mom, and dad, sitting on their meditative carpet thingies that I will never learn the name of.

“You’ve finally arrived.” My dad deadpanned, “Took you long enough.”

My mother chuckled while Luna smiled in amusement, Stella just sat there looking at the candles.

“Sorry!” I said hastily, before sitting down on my own mat thing, in lotus position. “What did you want to talk to us about for magical training?”

“Not exactly, we’re here to talk about something else…Apolo, you and your sisters are already adept at the Celestial Fist, and after talking to the elders and villagers, we think that you’re ready to set explore the seas.”

My sisters and I jolted in surprise, this was really early, I was barely 19. Luna and Stella 17 and 16 respectively.

“The War Seas?” I asked incredulously, “But don’t pupils usually go to the War Seas at the age of 22?”

“Usually, yes.” my father said, “But, your skills are clearly already on par and ready for this adventure. And we figure, that it’ll be quite fun for the three of you.”

“Are you sure?” Luna asks, while laughing, “Apolo barely knows how to control his Explosion magic, last time he used it he nearly blew up the Lunar Rise.”

“HEY!”

My mother chuckled, “And you remember the last time you used your magic didn’t you? You almost blinded yourself with the light you created…”

It was my turn to laugh.

“Apolo….” my dad started,

“David…” my mother began,

“Mei-Chun…” my dad replied snarkily.

I grinned, before slowly remarking, “…I think we’re gonna need more time to think about this, and train our magics…too”

My father nodded, understanding, “We understand, this is not an easy thing to decide, and your sisters are very young to be undertaking this journey so early. If you decide to take it however, the option…is always open.”

Nodding, before bowing politely, “Thank you…” me and my sisters all left to continue our training.

Notes:
wheeze, first story after forever LMFAO

6 Likes

very dialog based, Apolo is a pretty good name, i was skimming a bit, but congratulations on getting back into writing

ae thanks

Great work! Makes me want to do some writing myself.

1 Like