The Darkforest Skirmish

(The following writing is based on real* events)
the events happened in chivalry 2

The sundown brought whispers from the forest around us. Reminding me of the future, quite paradoxically. My mates were pushing along the supply carts while I checked the equipment. In the food cart I spotted Sir Biggie munching on the rations. After a scolding, the bloke returned to his post.

The moon was now over the horizon fully, illuminating the path more clearly. It had clear evidence of foot and wheel tracks, all from wagons like ours, just more friendly. As I stood up from the ground, catching the Mason flag in my eye, I heard the whispers again. I told the captain about it, but he dismissed it. After a few more hours, I finally saw Fogbern keep.

The whispers were louder than ever, tickling my ears, making me giggle. As soon as I stopped myself, they attacked. They jumped out from the shadows, slashing down those unprepared. They were clad in Agathian armour, they were ready for us. A few metres in front, they had set up a barricade. I went to destroy it, taking down a few footmen along the way. At the barricade, I went straight to work, slashing and hacking and thrusting and deconstructing away. No stamina, but barricade felled, and sharp pain in chest. An archer pierced my armour, making faint. I woke up in a dark room with squares floating in the air, each adorned with an emblem depicting a soldier. As I went to touch the one with a spear, words appeared : Poleman. I pushed it, and went back to Darkforest.

This time, I was forward, Fogbern keep looming above me. There was a loaded catapult beside me, and a dead man beside it. I released the lever, sending the boulder hurdling towards the walls. The collapse throwing up a wall of dust. I rushed into the fray, halberd in hand. Thrust into a man, sticking him to another, slashing a third, in the process letting them off my halberd into a group of knights. I saw an open window into the keep itself, and I went in. Inside, the duke himself was gearing up. I jumped on him from the rafters. As I slashed his back, I noticed a bar on the top of my vision, it said “Kill the Duke” inside, with a red sliver on the left side. Below it, it said 4:39 and then 4:38. The duke turned on me, I managed to graze him again, and then I ran, bravely, make no mistake. Before reaching the gate, however, I was cut down by unceremoniously by a peasant-looking footman. I was once again in the white room. I went to the axe square this time: Devastator; oil pot. I woke up.

The bar was now…barely more than 1/50th full. I was outside the gates. There was a ballista, and I noticed Sir Biggie next to me. We were both running, hoping the shooter would choose the other as a target. He fired at Biggie, and I pulled out my hatchet to throw at him. As soon as he loaded another bolt, he dropped dead. I took a knee to check on Biggie, his sheer girth saving his life. Still, he passed out. I now noticed that the number beneath the bar was at 0:10. It was over.

As a last ditch effort, I ran to the ballista. I turned it on the castle, and I noticed the duke was leaving, perhaps in confidence. I thought to my first blow on him, how it did barely any damage. This bolt may not even do half his health, but, to hell with it. I aimed, released, and watched as my shot rang true. The bar filled with haste, quite surprisingly. The countdown was at 0:01, and my whole vision became darkened. There was a large text saying “Team Mason Victory”. It was over, but on our terms.

proof(didn’t catch it on time so I made the short story):

2 Likes