"The Glasses" ~ Short Story / WoM

The sun sat up high, its luminous gaze watching over the two siblings below. “Noah, have you seen my glasses? I can’t seem to find it! I’ve looked everywhere!” Noelle exclaimed, her eyebrows furrowing. “I’m sure you just misplaced it. Try checking the bag, again.” Noah said, struggling to set up the camp.

The two have been travelling around Magius for days now. Why, you ask? Noelle needs to find something for her research while her brother, Noah, accompanies her. Unlike Noelle, Noah knows how to get around Magius since he sometimes travels on a daily basis. “Augh, mind helping me here!?” Noelle cried out loud, starting to get really frustrated. “I’m setting up camp, can’t you see? Besides, it is your glasses so it is your responsibility and mind toning it down a little bit? We wouldn’t want any unwanted visitors now, would we.” Noah replied to her annoyed sister. “I did not need a lecture. What I need is help!” Noelle blurted out in response to Noah. Noah finally gives up as he pauses what he was doing and goes up to Noelle. “For once, be independent and use your eyes,” Noah says as he picks up the glasses lying on a parchment paper. “Here,” Noah said, handing the glasses back to Noelle. “Finally, thank you!” Noelle exclaimed the frustration she felt fading away.

Noah goes back to setting up the camp, but before that, he asks Noelle, “What are you even up to?” Noelle smirked, standing straight up as she proudly said, “I am studying this!” Noah eventually finishes setting up the camp. He turned to look at what seems like the parchment paper from earlier. “What do you mean? I don’t see anything?” Noah said, confused on why her sister is studying a sheet of blank paper. “Silly, it’s not blank- if you know how to see it,” Noelle said you can tell that she is very curious about what she is doing. Her tone and expression say it all. “Lately, I have been studying the Ancient Language, how to decipher it and find its meaning. That’s when I stumble upon this!” Noelle points at the blank parchment paper. “At first, it might seem ordinary but watch as I do this.” Noelle places the parchment paper on a small table. Afterwards, she puts her palm just an inch above it and then- frosty air starts converging towards their camp as small traces of snow take shape amidst the bright blue sky. Her palm now glows white as the parchment reveals something inexplicable.

“Incoming!” Noah shouts, grabbing Noelle and hiding behind a tree. “My stuff!” Noelle screamed, her palm now returning to its normal colour. “Looks like some bandits noticed your magic.” Noah sternly said, his gaze running cold through the field as he tries to find a way to defeat these bandits. There are currently 5 or 6 bandits. Sucks that I didn’t have time to bring my weapon. Should I resort to using magic? “Ugh, stop hugging me. I don’t need protection!” Noelle said, irritated. Even I would be annoyed if I was in her shoes. “They’re taking our stuff! That’s it!” Noelle got out of hiding and went straight towards her stuff. “Noelle, what are you doing!” Noah asked, panicking as he didn’t think her sister would do something ignorant like that. He tried to follow her but the arrows just kept shooting and shooting. Tsk, these low lives. Meanwhile, Noelle barely gets unscathed as she heads for the parchment that is still glowing. So annoying ugh! Noelle snaps her fingers while yelling, “Avalanche!!” Snow formed everywhere as gusts of wind joined creating a snowstorm within the perimeter. Now, where is that- in front of Noelle shines a bright magic circle that is engraved on a parchment paper. “This is it!” Noelle exclaimed in excitement, but as soon as she touched the parchment, the snowstorm vanished revealing an incapacitated Noah. “Give us that or watch him perish.” One of the bandits spoke, but little do they know, they are walking through death’s door. “…” Noelle didn’t respond, she just stood there firmly grasping the parchment on her hand. “Didn’t you hear us? You either give us that or we’ll kill your brot-” One of the bandits said before being abruptly stopped by Noelle when she sternly said, “Yes, I heard you. I’m not deaf but sorry not sorry, I’m not gonna give this to you.”

This isn’t the Noelle I know… Wait… “Then you leave us no choice.” A bandit said, placing a dagger on Noah’s throat. “Still no?” The bandit threatened, his tone mocking the two white-haired siblings. Suddenly, a cold breeze surrounded the place once more but this wasn’t Noelle’s doing for this is far colder than the last. “Capsule~” Noah whispered, his breath visible. Ice started forming on Noah’s body, it enveloped his body like a snake slithering on its prey. Not too long, he’s whole body is encapsulated in ice. The bandits stood in awe, perplexed at what they had seen. “What now?” Noelle asked, her tone mocking the baffled bandits. “Tsk, you don’t scare us!” A bandit said, charging towards Noelle while commanding his fellow bandits to attack the lone girl. Noelle didn’t bat an eye but she grinned as she uttered the words, “Grant me power~” The sigil on the parchment dissipated into nothingness just as Noelle commanded, “Stasis!”

Everything was frozen… but not her… “This is the Art of Infinity!” Noelle exclaimed, amazed at what she has achieved. Everything that surrounded Noelle became immobilized, unmoving. “As expected, it only affects a specified space around the caster.” Noelle thought aloud, putting a finger on her chin. “I have found a masterpiece that many people have sought. A masterpiece which allows me to control an object’s status in time. Awesome!” Noelle is indeed a gifted individual but even she has her limits. “This is taking too much from me, I should-” She snaps her finger, the snap echoing through the forest. Noise filled up the place once more as the bandits unfroze from their spot but before the bandits could reach her, they soon became encapsulated in ice. “Noah, you’re back!” Noelle said, relieved to see her brother uninjured. “I’m a tough ice and I’d like to ask for more details about why that parchment is important that you gotta come running for it but first, we gotta put these guys back to where they belong,” Noah said, being back to his normal self. As soon as they took care of the outsiders, they went back to clearing the mess they made.

“Well, thanks for sticking out for me.” Noelle told Noah to which he replied, “That’s what siblings are for. Now, let’s go finish patching things up.”

The end

4 Likes

Pretty neat, I’ve got some recommendations.

Normal dialogue format looks like this (along with minor grammar edits):

The sun sat up high, its luminous gaze watching over the two siblings below. “Noah, have you seen my glasses? I can’t seem to find them! I’ve looked everywhere!” Noelle exclaimed, her eyebrows furrowing.
“I’m sure you just misplaced them. Try checking the bag again,” Noah said, struggling to set up the camp.

You create a new paragraph every time a different person speaks. Normally, you would also indent each new paragraph, but you can’t do that on forums. This greatly improves the clarity of your writing.

You might want to also consider what perspective you’re writing in.
It seems that you’re writing in third person omniscient, that is, from the point of view of an all-knowing narrator. If so, you have to clearly differentiate sub-perspectives.

This works because clearly the person thinking is Noah. So long as you put a new paragraph once Noelle starts speaking, it is clear an legible.

This does not. We basically have to guess that it’s Noah thinking. Either figure out how to make that logical or have it say “Noah thought”.

There are a few other grammatical inconsistencies but I’m guessing they arise from a lack of familiarity with English, as they’re pretty simple.

2 Likes

Yep, still got lots and lots to learn and I’ll take that into consideration. Thanks~