The PvP and PvE aspects of AO need to be differentiated

OK, there are two parts to this post: the serious part, and the rant (aka me malding about skill issue)
Also some background for me if you care: the file I was playing on was clanless, ~170k fame, Magma/Glass (previously Fire - you can imagine why I respecced) mage.

What Happened (skippable)

THE BACKSTORY
It’s a nice day. After a long grind session with a friend to get them prepped for the dark sea, I get on my main file and start sailing with two goals in mind: JELLYFISH and STRUCTURES. I want a shit ton of Cauldrons for the Dark Sea and, eventually, Bronze Sea Diver. Thus, I go sailing the seas for some diving spots and - hopefully - some structures.

THE STORY
I settle at a fairly deep diving point with a couple sealeds - 10 or so - on board. I expect this diving point to be like any other - I nearly drown, get poisoned, almost trapped by a clam, etc.
Unfortunately, it’s not. As I’m ascending from my last dive, I start getting shot at by a Light mage.

Damn. Well, how bad could it be? After all, all I need to do in order to escape is start up my ship and turn enough to stop being blocked by their ship.
It’s pretty bad. There’s a second guy up top and the MOMENT I start turning the wheel my health goes down a thousand points. I die soon after.

(Then I proceed to attempt to kill them like, 3 times before giving up because I already lost 1k galleons and too much fame)

The Main

Let me explain my stance on PvP first - I actually quite like PvP combat when there are low stakes. It’s fast-paced, chaotic, destructive, and most importantly: fun. However, there’s quite a difference between doing PvP when you feel like it and fighting to defend potentially hours of effort.

This brings me to my main argument - the current meshing of PvP systems with the rest of the world is incredibly messy. There’s tons of systems for Player vs Environment, such as NPC Ships & bounties, diving, charts, and soon the Dark Sea. Player vs Player, on the other hand, boils down to “Kill person” (except for Clans, which is “Kill people”).

A great opportunity would have been Elysium - a large, consequence-free floating island where anybody could PvP without worry. A shame it’s being utterly squandered, but we’ll live with it.

Now, you might say it’s my fault for attracting their attention by having 170k fame. That’s reasonable, but I have it solely for deckhands, and PvP “attractiveness” (lmao) is just an unfortunate side effect for that. I would absolutely get rid of that shitty number if the tradeoff wasn’t losing out on an minor - but still impactful - part of equipping your boat.

Honestly, now that I’ve cooled off, I’ll probably stop caring about what happened in about 3 hours because of how unlikely this is to happen, but I’ve been playing since WoM (not all that long, but still), and I imagine less dedicated players would quit completely if this happened to them, especially if their stakes were higher (more sealeds, idk).

The Rant

If you get into a group to gank people minding their own business, :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: you.
Especially if you play like absolute cowards, holy shit.
I get ganged up on - only a 2v1, so not all that bad - but these guys had their strat down and dusted. The moment one of them gets close to dying? Travels across the entirety of Ravenna to heal back to full while I’m dealing with the other one. Moment I get close to killing the other? They switch.
Now, I can respect strategies, but these guys? Incredibly annoying, infuriating, aggravating, bothersome, irritating… (yes, I pulled out thesaurus.com)

Ok, really quick, I must admit it was probably a skill issue on my part - a couple more landed beams and I would have sent one of them to jail (or not idk which one I was bounty hunting), but I GUARANTEE that if I had, the other would have instantly booked it to Silverhold to free them. I also blame desync/ping/whatever.

But like, what kind of person wakes up, boots up Arcane Odyssey, joins up with a friend, and decides “Let’s kill this guy who’s diving, obviously unprepared for a fight, and 2v1 him” ???

TL;DR

I got group hunted while diving and got really mad about it, so I want something to be changed.

And yes, feel free to scream “SKILL ISSUE” at me. I understand.

3 Likes

yeah the best thing you can do atm is to just reset renown, your deckhands wont go away if you reset them, but can’t upgrade em anymore nor get a 4th deckhand for your Brig

Until then, we wait for Deckhands to get changed to a PvE Feature

1 Like

Never though to do that, thanks for the idea
I’ll do that ASAP after getting 2 more deckhands for the brig
Hopefully it’ll prevent too many other hunting groups

lmao just got an attempted gank while i was just chillin at ravenna
brig could not come sooner

INSANE solution:

wipe ur renown

Thanks for suggesting that again, I’ll definitely do it after the Brig is out and I can get two more deckhands

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.