The Rusty Basement

Alright so anyone that knows me knows that I basically have ZERO talent, like whatsoever. I can’t draw, compose, my writing is half-baked AT BEST, I’m shit at (most) games, and I don’t play sports or anything. I’ve been wanting to do something for a while so I decided to try modelling some stuff, as As of now, I am pretty trash (Who would expect that from an absolute beginner going in basically blind!!!). Currently i’m trying to learn Blender but it might alternate.

This thread kind of serves to remind myself to try and work on modelling and also to see if I progress.

After watching a barebones and 8 minute blender tutorial i’ve created this masterpiece:

So yeah, hopefully I get intrested in the talent and learn to model so i can start moving onto other things (my goal is to be decent at basically everything). I will try and post a bunch of models i’m proud of to keep tabs on this whole thing.

If there are any modellers reading this who use blender: please drop me tips or any helpful videos (besides the donut tutorial :+1: :+1: :+1: )

17 Likes

That’s probably still better than like 90% of hammer models in roblox games which tend to just be a box on a cylinder so i’d say you’re doing aight.

2 Likes

Its better than the countless “hammers” I’ve seen that are literally 2 cylinders put together.
you’ve immediately proven you’re willing to put in atleast more effort than them lol.

give yourself more credit!!!

Bro this is awesome. Good luck on your journey, you’ll find that creating stuff is pretty fun.

Also, like what the people above me said, that hammer is better than 99% of roblox hammers.

Get Vetex

for real

everyone starts somewhere

im also learning how to model on blender, albeit not all the time (like once or twice a week)
some advice id give you is to watch tutorials and learn from them, not just follow everything they do step by step
to actually learn and progress from watching them, youll have to understand what the steps are actually doing and learn how to apply them outside of the tutorial
for practicing, i usually just model random stuff that i like from reference images

good luck on your journey!

2 Likes

I tried blender my last game design class

Unfortunately, it didn’t work very well because my brain wasn’t able to wrap itself around all the controls and buttons the app had. So I abandoned it, sadly.

I tried to make a bibically accurate angel, so i searched up how to make metal in blender and ended up making this

I still have no clue how to add images in (i tried following a tutorial but got nowhere). I’ve decided my current goal is to recreate Utsuho Reiuji’s control rod in blender (image for reference)

1 Like

And so it begins…

I’m not too sure if i want to use a more metallic/ reflective style, so when im done with a prototype i’ll make another one and see which one i like more

shift + a > image > reference > select image > load reference image (disable align to view)

1 Like

Update:

I’ve done pretty well on the rod so far, but I am struggling to add effects

B̴̵͐͋̋́́ͭ̓̏͢͢͟͡͞͏̩̭̩̰̯̻̥̪Ė̷̶̡̡̠̥͍̫̲̩͓̺ͪ͌̽̽̓̉ͭ̕͢͜͠ N̶̴ͭ̅ͩ̓͂ͥ́̃͡҉̴̷̨̫̗͔̰͙͇͎͓͝Ơ̴̸̸̫̣͔̥͓̯͈̻ͯ͗̃̉̄ͤ͆̏́̀̀͘T̷̷̶̛̯͔̟̪̰̯̱̫͂̌͒͆̋͒́͐͘͢͢͞ Ą̶͊̿̔̌̍̽̃̐͝҉̵̷͙̲̰̲͔̟͕̜͟͝F̶̧̖͚͇̠̼̹̩͍ͤͫͬ̀̒̀̋̄́̀͘͜͠͝R̴̸̨̢̭̝͍̳̟̬̤̟̅̾̒̔̈̑̀͐͘͟͢͞Ă̷̷̴̧̢̛̦̮̪̺̣̼̣̱ͪ̅͆ͮ̅̐̔͢͝Ï̓͐̿̊̓ͣ̍͏̷̷̴̛͡҉̴͈͔̜͍̼͓̬͉D̵̸̶̨̦̫̙̬͓̠̖̞ͮͥ̋͗̓̄͗̾̕͜͟͠

lmao this brings back memory

i tried it for a bit but eventually gave up since it didn’t feel like my thing, good luck to you tho

Best of luck to ya :D!
Blender is a temperamental little thing but just remember to keep on heading forward! Sometimes it’ll be important to try something else in order to get more understanding of what you reach a roadblock on, but don’t lose hope.
Also don’t be afraid to google something you don’t know, there’s like a billion and one shortcuts for blender.

1 Like

It watches

2 Likes

My first attempt at a sword

1 Like

thats a sick glow stick

Reminds me of something from this game called super cube cavern.

At least the swords there kinda look like that.

as someone with a crippling inferiority complex, Im relieved to have finally found someone like me