Thoughts on destruction/destructible terrain

Thoughts on destruction / destructible terrain?

• I love it!
  • I hate it!
  • Don’t care / Partial
0 voters

Additionally, feel free to explain your answer and share what aspects of destruction you dislike or like, how it could be improved, or if you would prefer to remove it entirely.

2 Likes

hi tobi

PEAKINPUT!!! (10 peak characters)

i dont mind it

1 Like

I like it purely because I have it on all my gems so I can use cannon to crash peoples games

1 Like

Most of the time I don’t mind it, and in some scenarios (like Argos’ arena) it’s actually a good thing, as it adds lots of immersion and a general feeling of “oh crap, this guy is strong, gotta watch out”

However, sometimes it just does NOT work. For example, the Elius fight. The weird stone tiles always refuse to break, even when the floor underneath them is gone, so I get stuck underneath them all the time. That’s not even mentioning the tiny deep thin hole at the entrance to his arena that’s basically inescapable in the wrong situations.

So, basically, if it worked properly it would be great, but it does not.

6 Likes

it’s pretty cool, I do wish some skills had some cooler terrain destruction though, like maybe some skills such as shining cycle breaking lines in the ground rather than just a sphere

also, some skills have way too much terrain destruction. You’re telling me spear throw is as destructive as piercing gale? I’d expect the destruction hitbox to be a thin rectangle extending outwards a bit, so that if it’s at an acute angle to the ground, it breaks a thin, decently long line

1 Like

i hate it it sucks

4 Likes

i think destruction for things like buildings should be similar to like tree destruction(yk in the sense having a hidden destruction hp and the buildings turning into gibs upon it being destroyed)

2 Likes

I think it can be a really cool feature, but for me, it disrupts fights, interferes with dodging, and I’m pretty sure it contributes to FPS drops during battles in some way.

4 Likes

destruction is also probably gonna be a major fps killer when we get higher tiers, since moves with fairly high destruction (i.e. sparrow thrust) drop fps a shit ton when used on buildings

2 Likes

in most pve fights ion really mind
its justifiably annoying in boss fights when the ground has 2 or more layers but surely that cant be super hard to fix
and i dont like that it makes m1s drain your energy like crazy but thats a seemingly unfixable bug

1 Like

Oh yeah, I forgot about Maria’s big beam giving me seconds per frame

1 Like

my main problem is just the little autoclimb feature that we have for some reason and can’t turn off, it always interrupts my t jumps, dashes, and spell casting and just takes time that i could be using to actually do stuff, if it was togglable it’d be fine

3 Likes

well when a piece a terrain breaks, it gets all divided up into multiple parts including a “core” part that sits at the center for only larger terrain parts.
so yeah that for sure can reduce one’s frames if you damage enough large terrain parts

1 Like

I run all attack destruction gems, my sand piles are huge and it’s quite helpful for raiding weak clan bases, I also like it because everything becomes cooler

1 Like

By the way, I’m going to try not to respond too much to this topic. I have a very biased opinion when it comes to destruction as a feature, and I don’t want to interfere with the discussion. I’d rather see what actual players think.

It’s an amazing feature, and I couldn’t dream of implementing it into a game of my own.
Of course I’ve had some lame moments with the Elius arena, but that’s an issue to be fixed with the elius arena, not destructible terrain.
The grass during Carina’s fight on the other hand, that’s a bit more fundamental.

I like it quite a bit, but I’ve come to realise how annoying it is when doing some PvP training yesterday.
It messes with your aim and predictions, it sometimes stops you and others from moving the way they want to, and it also bugs NPCs a lot (allowing them to shoot through walls/ceilings/terrain, sometimes granting them immortality. This is especially true in fort castrum).

it shouldnt be in boss arenas because of people getting stuck under carpets or grass, looking at YOU calvus, elius, and carina. but overall i think its a good mechanic and it adds some originality to the game

1 Like