[WEEKLY PROMPT] Aubrey and the White-Hooded

It’s hard to watch these people’s sorrowful faces, as I stood and watched them behind my own gravestone. Two days had passed since I woke up as a ghost and explored around. And yet, the reaper hadn’t paid me a visit.

Everything about the death itself was hazy, except for the fact that I died, and my body was buried in this specific grave. But I could recognize the faces of people who mourned. Such as the lady who placed a bouquet on my grave, with the expression that clenched my heart — she was my mother. Memories of her meal were fresh as new in my brain — the recipe, the smell, the taste — I remembered it all.

I continued to watch my family, my friends, my neighbors, along with some strangers visiting my graveyard until the dead of the night, where none except some wizards on their quest came out.

As this pain of loneliness took over me, a gentle touch comforted me on my shoulder. “Let’s go home, Aubrey.”

I turned back expecting the reaper themself, only to be greeted by a figure who looked exactly like my mom instead.

“M-mom?!”

A shock took over me, followed by tears. As the figure saw my tears, they transformed into a white-hooded figure, freaking out.

“I-I’m sorry!” The figure spoke with a shaken voice, as they backed away from me in horror. “I… I was told reapers were supposed to shapeshift into the person you love, so you don’t freak out… But guess that backfired, huh?”

I heard the fear in the reaper’s voice and wiped my tears away, trying to sympathize with them. The reaper then took a deep breath and reached their hand out for me. “F-Follow me, I’ll bring you to the afterworld.”

“Alright.”

As the reaper took my hand, they led me outside of the graveyard, following the road.

“Huh, you seem less scary than I expected. What’s your name?”

“Uh… No. I can’t say it. We won’t even meet each other again after you enter this forest ahead.”

“Aw, I thought I’d make some memories here.”

“Nope. I’m not allowed to build attachments with mortals. Do you know what happens when a reaper is too attached to them?”

“What happens?”

“Well, let’s say they’re fired from the job. And that happened to me, once. Also, I’m aware that I’m risking myself of being fired again right now, so no more questions, okay?”

“Aw, c’mon, it’s just a name. It’s not like I become friends to anyone I heard of their names.”

“… Fair point.” The reaper gripped my hand, as they bolted faster along the path. “It’s Aubrey-”

Before I could process their name, they sprinted towards the forest while dragging me along, then everything turned black.

Writer's Notes

wrote this in one sitting, and the only reason I named em Aubrey is well

I looked up gender-neutral names and picked Aubrey out from the list bc it spoke to me

that’s it

4 Likes

aubrey aubrey moment

1 Like

aubreyn’t

1 Like

before i read this i just want to say that my little sister’s name will be aubrey when she is born so thats cool.

1 Like

I feel bad for u

if I died and became I ghost I would just go around playing practical jokes on people

TBH knowing that any reaper would be careful to get me as soon as possible or else I’ll be pouring water on freezing sidewalks and cows on public monuments and whatnot.

2 Likes

what?