[WEEKLY PROMPT] Returning Home

Writer’s Note

ight so I’m getting this idea out of my head really quick

like, real quick.

gotta kick bnt into writing gears.

so uhhh in case you want the context of the incoming two characters

a dark arts society lass walked a guy back home from his mission, and he refuses to say anything about his pain getting REAL worse

since the prompt was supposed to be lovey and crushy, will the guy reveal his admiration to her?!? to be continued in this post!!!

With the day’s incoming first light, this black sky brightened up.
    And here I was, walking by a fool I picked up from his mission.

Jarl’s mission was all done and cleared, but his tired grin said otherwise. And the more this fool tried to smile for me, the more I know he’s holding back a great pain.

“So yeah, Princess Hase. The quest’s all done and settled now. We have nothing else to worry about-”
    “Look. First, quit the full title. We’re definitely equals in the Dark Arts. Now tell me, just what exactly have you gotten yourself into? You’re really bad at hiding your pain from me.
    “Well, I-”

He paused, as he’s trying to catch a breath. I know he’s always this stubborn, but not this stubborn when he didn’t look fine at all.

Jarl took a long breath, before avoiding my question. “You know, let’s head home-”

“Nope. You aren’t getting away from this again.” I stopped. And so did he.

But before I could even continue asking him a question, Jarl interrupted. “Wait, actually, there’s something I’ve been wanting to show you.”

He waited for me to calm myself down for a bit.

His hand reached his thick hair covering his left eye, and tucked it away from his face. Revealing a shadow-withered scar beneath, across his eye.

“Remember my brother, Jones? He’s suffered from this too.” Before continuing, he paused to look at me in the eyes, and smiled with the pain again. “And well, here goes my second last secret.”

“So only one secret left, huh?”
    “Yeah. And lastly… You’ve got really pretty eyes.”
    “…”

I know I would just ignore every compliment towards myself, as I’d grown numb to it. But from him? Something’s definitely up behind that message.

But still. That damn smile. The one everyone else in Dark Arts Society freaked out about it. Just… What was he smiling about at this exact time? He’s going to collapse soon with all the pain he’s hiding, I knew it!

And I was right about it.

I dashed to him, as his body weighed down in my arms. His heartbeat raced, as it weakened with his body’s warmth. And his eyes slowly closed, and I knew I’d experienced this exact sensation.

Death. It’s definitely death. I knew it.

My name is Hase Noboru, and I had seen a good amount of people dying in my arms. But this was a sudden one to me, wasn’t it?

Well then. I hope you would be at peace, Jarl.
    After this, I might as well give you a proper place to stay in, and pay a visit to your twin brother later. His name was Jones, wasn’t it?

Fine, let’s head home.

5 Likes

:pensive:

sad

1 Like

and they all died the end

1 Like

the good ending

Poor guy. Died of what sounded like a magic-based disease, and either was so delusional he thought he loved Hase, or he actually did and he knew those would’ve been his final words.

If the latter is true, rest in peace you magnificent bastard.

1 Like

it’s the latter

also his real cause of death was like… him holding the pain from the attack he got during his mission, so yeah

I knew it. The man’s a real courageous one.

Yet he’s also stupid if he died because he held pain back. Like bruh, really? If it’s just gonna induce a ton of stress and eventually that stress kills you… You should probably let it out. Seems even the Dark Arts Society was aware of how bad that would’ve been too.

1 Like

wait it’s more like

“welp I’m supposed to be near dead from this attack but I gotta stay strong for awhile to say my last words”

…Aw. That’s… Man, I respect that. Especially to just admit to love like that, as your literal final words. Just… Sheesh this one hits hard.

1 Like