What's better, fame or bounty?

It seems like fame players don’t get bombarded by navy ships but negative rep players get free cargo and stuff, what’s better?

It depends. If you want money, criminal is better. The downside is people hunt you realitvly often, not to mention the Gravy. If you want to have peace and be able to play the actual game, fame is the way to go. The only downside of fame is, you don’t really get a perk from it, besides peace.

1 Like

Fame recently became better because of the rep shield (no fame v fame) but i still prefer villain. Being able to do random shit is fun (even if you have the gravy behind you 24/7)

Playing fame is better for the average player, but for people that are more interested in PVP interactions, bounty is better.

cap bec me on my 10k fame ice sailor has been killed like 20 times and I’ve lost like 5k galleons, meanwhile my 100kish lightning conj has been hunted once

ill go fame then because people are really sweaty at pvp

bounty, free cargo and can kill everything that moves

hmm what are your opinions on neutral?

I was a hero for a long time until the past few weeks, over the summer I bounty hunted and got over 500k fame, and it was actually kinda fun not having the convenience of brig’s bounty boards
Then after the deckhand renown reset, it flopped to 50k and I never bothered to get it back up
Then a few days ago I decided to burn it in a blaze of glory and after several jailbreaks it was at 0, now I got about 100k bounty
Honestly, it’s somewhat fun having the notoriety, feels like some kinda tower defense of sorts, the battles are always huge and fast paced, like when I teamed up with two NPCs I freed from prison in Sameria to then together fight off the Navy, or when a crew that had vice-captains instead of marines came after me

its hard to stay at neutral since doing a wide variety of actions either give bounty or fame

saved a castaway? fame
killed a siren? fame
killed an npc? fame

accidently break a window? bounty
accidently opening a private chest? bounty

i teeter around 0-1k fame, when i want to go to the dark sea i get bounty to get free cargo. after the dark sea i reset back to neutral. best of both worlds

fame is pve
bounty is the navy on your ass everytime you try to breathe

someone tell me how to team with npc criminals pls ;-;

things i know about bounty

pros

you can attack all ships
access to criminal island(s)
free cargo

cons

the navy sends reinforced ship after another every 2 milliseconds
your ship gets immediately attacked upon sailing towards or near an grand navy base
people may bounty hunt you

yeah… wouldn’t it be nice if hunting someone’s bounty gave you their bounty cuz that’s how it’s supposed to work

Sometimes peace is all I want in this game. I had been a bounty man for awhile and eventually got sick of going to jail constantly lol :joy:, not really to players to getting jumped by NPC navy while hunting a level 160+ bounty of assassination lol. But yeah I will admit that there isn’t much reward for it other than peace.

Mind you I will admit the only reason why it was less players was because I used to run a lot before I got my goated agility builds, it’s kinda all around stats, but focusing mainly on agility and attack speed

I don’t think people choose to go fame. They just get it naturally and probably stick with it becuase they either don’t care or like the renown shield that comes with it.

People mainly go bounty if they want to gank people (yucky), but I can also think of two somewhat specific and minor pve reasons to go bounty. But it has a major downside, which is that everyone can gank you.

Even for pvpers I would say that fame is better because you can still ask people for duels and improve your skill in that way. I literally act like I have pstd in game because I really don’t want to have my game interrupted by jail time or lose a rare+ treasure chart.

Also ganking is a similar skillset to dueling on the surface level but it’s strictly inferior imo.

you just have the navy accidentally hit them, works especially well if they’re in jail
they get aggroed and start fighting the gravies as well

fame and bounty aside the worst thing to play is assassin syndicate randoms will literally shoot your boat on sight for no reason it’s actually crazy

like there’s zero shot they can actually beat you in a fight but “haha red boat ram go brr” happens literally every time I leave my ketch anywhere what the actual fuck

Unfortunetely most sweaty PVPers are criminals which your renown shield won’t extend to so this only helps with randos and not career killers