A few magic size affinity changes for AO

I don’t think Shadow should be nerfed whatsoever. Shadow will die with time. Yeah we could nerf Shadow in advance and then buff it again later once future content releases and Shadow inevitably gets worse, but I don’t think that performing these gymnastics to get Shadow in a good place is really necessary. It might just be my opinion but I just can’t really agree here. I just prefer a gradual buffing up or a gradual nerfing down, not jumping between the two.

Alright, tho at the very least I want to hear your reasoning behind this

Not really much of a counterargument, but why is Snow faster than Ice?

Perhaps shadow is excessively powerful rn, but Meta did mention that this post was considering the game after the 2nd magic update comes out, in which Light and Shadow will both drop in power significantly since they dont have access to any good synergies.

Shadow will likely go from very good to just decent after 2nd magic comes out, but light - which already isn’t that good of a magic rn - will probably crash down the dumpster.

1 Like

Shadow will still be A tier, just not as good

I don’t think you realize this. Not all 3 of your magics have to synergize with each other. You can have a magic with little to no synergies and then have free choice to choose WHATEVER 2nd and 3rd magic you want.

For example, I can go shadow, ice, and glass, and be a damn god at the game. Why?

1. All of those magics are OP (Excluding ice without bleed bonus)
  2. They do well on their own anyways
  3. They don’t effect your first magic choice at all

Your shadow magic will still remain top tier, while you can still use your 2nd and 3rd magics for significant boosts in combat.

Ice and glass synergize though.
Glass makes things bleed and ice capitalizes on that.

Glass has no bleed stack so it literally does less than Acid in dps

The big problem with light and shadow is that they’re solo magics and literally can’t profit from synergies.

If they’re made powerful enough to actually function in the late game compared to well thought-out builds, they’re either going to have to scale differently from other magics or be completely and utterly broken in the early-mid game.

Already the way it’s going wdym, for shadow at least, light gets nothing.

I’ve noticed and its not ok.

Yeah I forgot to consider this that’s actually a huge point here that I just ignored. I don’t agree with the initial point that it will come in hotfixes but the bi-weekly updates would definitely make amends to the situation so I’m not going to bother going off on an unimportant tangent.

As for Light I think that yeah maybe I was doing a bit of fearmongering there so I’ll actually concede some of the things I said prior, though I still think some of your analysis here is worth addressing (although this is a tangent I feel like it’s something to consider going forward.) I think it ultimately depends on two factors: How much second magic improves the average magic, and what lost spells we get and how they will work.

What I disagree with in terms of your analysis on second magic is that I think the average magic won’t see as much drastic increase as we predict since we’ll at most be getting 2 attacks with little option customization and lower spell sizes, most magics will probably see a similar level of synergy that we seen with bleed during weapon meta.

What I disagree with in terms of your analysis of blind is that blind won’t really be significant or is comparable to Sand or Snow. Though it is short-lived, Light’s blind is 2x stronger than other magics, meaning that if you get a certain amount of hits within a certain time frame you will be able to deal full blind. I think the requirements for this amount of hits are actually reasonable, considering Locking Blast will literally be stuck to you, Zone will likely function relatively similar to the way clouds do, and Barrage literally fires like 80 blasts. Certainly none of these spells will kill you by the time you are hit 5x. With Zone and Locking however you probably won’t get all 5 within a second but you could follow up or combo spells to at least get close.

However, I still agree with you in the end because I realize that I’m probably unfairly up-playing the risk of blind being powerful and the risk of interactions being weak.
Certain magics will see larger benefit than the “average magic” I am referring to (+10 second long statuses, freeze combos), so there definitely will be some magics that could potentially benefit really strongly from 2nd magic, but not as much as others. Also for lost spells to make Light as powerful as I am assuming the following assumptions would have to be made: the ones I am expecting get added, the hit-rate is a decent enough time frame to act upon, they actually initiate blind. So yeah I think it’s fair to assume I am placing a heightened value upon one thing and downplaying another.

But I still think it’s important to recognize that Blind still does hold some impact and that 2nd magic won’t make other magics infinitely more powerful than those that don’t have interactions because I feel like it’s important going forward to consider what could and couldn’t happen. I do not think I compared the two factors fairly though.

NOTE: For 2nd magic I am talking about as it is initially released, not as it grows with time and becomes more powerful. Then at that point yeah definitely it will buff all magics significantly.

Glass has bleed stack…

It’s getting removed in AO… read patch notes

I’ve also been bitching about it for months, how did you not notice

There exist some crazy synergies that can boost the damage of your attacks by more than 50%. I get the feeling that if 2 people of equal skill were to do a 1v1, with one using magics which all synergize (let’s say Ice, Water, Gold for freeze + shatter) and the other using just random magics that are good alone, the one taking advantage of synergies will most likely win.

Sure, you can be good without synergies, but that is IN SPITE of not having synergies, not BECAUSE you dont use synergies.

Darn, the only thing that made glass unique from just being a heavier paper and lighter iron/gold is getting removed?
Aside from its damaging debris that don’t actually matter because aerial combat isn’t on the ground.
Funny how paper is getting removed and iron/gold are merging.

2 Likes

It’s literally been there since November, this isn’t new

But ya

RIP glass I guess

its not glass, it is now to be referred to as “faster fragile metal”

Let’s see why some people think this’ll make Light op

Light (if these balance changes happen)

• Lowest overall damage
  • No self DoT boost like everything lower than it in impact
  • Average size
  • Fastest Magic
  • Worst Clashes