A new Odyssey unfolds

The tavern door opens with almost nobody batting an eye.The wizard walks over to the bar and sits down as the bartender then goes over and recognizes him. “Oh Eric! What a surprise! What brings you back to Summer hold?” A smile forms on Eric’s face. “Not much Russel,just taking a visit back to my old hometown that’s all.” Eric replied.

“Haha well your always welcome at my bar! What can I get you?” “I’ll have the usual” Eric replied. “Coming right up!” Russel turns around to prepare a drink as Eric looks around the bar noticing the exact same names and faces he saw when he first came here. “Nothing ever changes…” he muttered under his breath.
“Here ya go!” Russel startled Eric as he puts his drink on the bar. “Oh! uh thanks Russel” “My pleasure!” Russel exclaimed.

As Eric held his drink he went back to what he was thinking earlier his thoughts making him feel even worse then before.He took a glance at Russel to see if he was busy,he was just wiping glasses.Eric took a sip of his drink “Hey Russel,can I vent for a second?” Russel turned “Sure,what’s on your mind?” Russel replied.

“I’ve been feeling tired…tired of the same place,the same faces,I don’t know what’s wrong with me…” “Tired of finding people’s belongings for them?” Russel joked “I don’t know how they keep losing them!”
Eric then realized he raised his voice.Sorry I didn’t mean to snap at you. “All good”

Eric then opened his hand and made bolts of lighting zap around it. “I’m grateful for my gift of being able to use magic but I just don’t know what to do with it,I just don’t feel like I have a purpose with it.” “But what about your reputation? The people of Summer hold and Magius are grateful for your contributions to keeping the peace!” Russel exclaimed “I know that but I just feel like there’s something missing,ever since I washed up here from the sea I’ve just tried my best to be a good guy,but I’ve always been a pirate at heart.Don’t get me wrong I love helping people but I just feel like I’m missing something,a sense of adventure if you will.” Eric exclaimed.

The two were silent for a bit until Eric finished his drink and stood up. “Thanks for the drink and the talk I’m sure I’ll figure out something eventually.” Eric put some crowns on the bar and turned around. “Have a good night Russel”

Eric started to head for the door when Russel spoke up. “Wait a second Eric” Eric turned around confused. “I don’t usually do this…but catch.” A coin was thrown from Russel and Eric caught it.Eric examined it “What’s this? A coin?” “That is a Galleon it’s a form of currency.” Russel replied. “It is? Never heard of it before.”
“Oh I’m sure you haven’t,that’s because it came from the War seas.”

Now Eric’s interest was piqued “War seas? What? Russel where did you get this coin?”
“My friend who sailed back to Magius gave me one and told me all about the War seas.It’s a cluster of islands with all sorts of kingdoms on them.” Russel replied. “War seas? Why haven’t I heard more about it or how come I never see anyone talk about sailing out towards it?” Eric questioned.

“That’s because it’s a long way from Magius,almost nobody even knows about the War seas.And Even if they do know about it nobody would dare attempt a voyage towards it in this day and age.” “Why is that?” Eric responded “A new generation is coming in the War seas lad,the kingdoms are about to go to war for the sea curses that have been scattered around the seas.The pirates from Magius would be but a speck of dust in the war that’s about to go on.” “Your kidding…” Eric replied.

“There’s also foes that are more powerful then what your used to dealing with here,wizards that have completely mastered in their magic,fighters that have trained in a fighting style,weapon users that have honed their craft.However if your looking for a change of pace my friend then I think you should head back to the sea and make your way to the War seas in search of adventure.” Eric was completely in shock at what he just heard.

But this was exactly what he was looking for in terms of adventure.He looked at the galleon in his hand. “A whole new generation…” he muttered.He put the coin in his pocket and smiled. “Thank you Russel,I think you just found new meaning for my life.” “No need to thank me.Good luck out there Eric you’ll always be welcomed at my bar no matter what path you decide to choose.” Eric smiled again and waved before heading out of the tavern.

The next morning Russel headed for his tavern to open for business.He entered the building but his eye was caught by the letter at the bar with a stack of crowns next to it.He walked over and brushed some of the crowns aside so he could see the letter.It was labeled “From Eric” He smiled as he opened up the letter.

Eric was getting ready to depart for the War seas as he was going over what he spent most of his crowns on.Food,water,other supplies and a sailboat.Yep he was ready.He took one long look at Summer hold,it would be a long time before he would return here again.He turned back to the sea and hopped onto his sailboat.He lifted his anchor and unfurled the sails as he then took off towards the sea.

He took out the Galleon that Russel had gave him and looked at it.
For the first time in awhile he felt his life had new meaning.He was starting his new Odyssey.

Thanks for reading this short little story!
featuring one of my World of magic files Eric! This is a small tribute to Arcane Odyssey coming out soon.Hope you enjoyed it :).

6 Likes

Actually beautiful

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like