A “PvP toggle” that won’t upset PvPheads

I have this idea for the guards in towns such as Sameria’s be extremely high level such as 180-200. Not only are their damage and HP dangerous, they also automatically aggro on a player that deals 20% total hp damage to another player.

This makes it so that hunters are discouraged from attacking in towns but can still succeed if they are quick with their kills. Other than that, it gives fodders a relatively safe space and a little bit of help dealing with hunters.

An example of this is a player being attacked by a hunter inside a town, so they run to him the nearest level 200 centurion and let him do the work.

This would also be more immersive in AO as it would be extremely embarrassing for a kingdom’s law enforcement to consistently fail at keeping the peace and order of a city. Not to mention the destruction caused by a pvp brawl in the city.

Overall, this solution doesn’t completely lock out a crucial game-mechanic in AO while still appealing to the demands of lower-skilled players.

21 Likes

Maybe i should increase the aggro to 20% total hp damage to another player

So in summary deepwoken’s charisma talent where guard npcs protect you? (Forgot the name)

Isn’t this already applied in Ravenna albeit the only difference is that the guards are lower leveled and aggro on both parties…

It’s just an addition of a high level npc.

Oh, and this feature will probably be added in the kingdom alignment update, similar probably.

Guards in Ravenna leave you alone unless you hit them. I was thinking of having them actually protect people in the city and a higher level is the best way to go.

This is a good compromise, and very much immersive as the guards actually do their jobs to maintain peace in the city.

Good idea, but unfortunately there’s less than 1% chance this will actually happen :sob:

i was gonna post a “another suggestion out of suggestions”. But for the sake of world building, this would make sense.

4 Likes

How to deal with pvp players: force them to do pve

Normally I’d be all for a PVP toggle of sorts, but this would just encourage PVP players to put everything into power and agility to rush in, kill their target, and run.

doesn’t make sense lore wise for them to just automatially agro on you, but I could see some sort of “warning” system being used

Instead of dealing damage to players procing the guards agro, it should be dealing damage to PROPERTIES. Destroying buildings and making cracks in the floor will start a 3-strike system, warning the players to take the fight outside of the town, before deciding to kick said players out on their own. This is way more reasonable and makes more sense than government NPCs protecting villains.

Doesn’t make sense for guards to protect a wanted criminal. A bounty hunter would show the criminals poster and that would let the guards know to leave the hunter alone, but if it were an Assassination Contract I could see this making more sense.

Or we screw over bad reps again and only have the guards aggro on bad rep players that start fights

No, that’s not what I’m saying. My idea would affect BOTH players, whether bad rep or good. The Ravenna Realm shouldn’t care about you taking out troublemakers on their land, as long as you don’t cause so much trouble doing so yourself.

any suggestions for a pvp toggle would be instantly shot down when the love potion exists. thats the only purpose of the love potion, to stop players from hurting you

Players are one of the 3 things that actually has a counter to love potions, and most pvp players will do anything in their power to actually be able to fight their target, they will likely have love potions of their own.
Most people who want a pvp toggle don’t want it to make only people who have played the game for a while able to attack them.

what other things have a counter?

Atlanteans and bosses are immune to love potions

out of all the times i got ganked, only one of them knew the counter to love potions. the other times the players would just sit stupidly next to me waiting for the love effect to expire while i run off. the counter is not well known to everyone

Ok that is better than I though then. I never really used love potions, back when I actually was a big target I would use gale novas and bleeding novas to deal with people. So it seems that most of the people that would be able to deal with love potions would probably be able to deal with npcs as well.
I would still prefer the npcs, but I do understand what you are talking about.

Bodyguard Detail iirc