[ABYSS SEA] Shattered Glass

I sit on the sand with my legs crossed. I grabbed a handful of soaked sand and slapped it onto the pile of sand I am creating. I pull out one of my scimitars and start to carve the mount, shaping it into a sandcastle.

BZZ

A snap of my fingers, the sand castle has been immortalized as a gravestone of glass. The sound of glass shattering alerts me of their presence. I turn my head around to look at the guest.

“…Julian, you don’t have to sneak up on me like that.” I calmly said.

“You’re no fun, Elius.”

His movements were sluggish and the way he walks is not that of a general. His eyelids are swollen and puffy, probably sobbing over still not having a girlfriend. Any exposed parts of his skin were swollen and red, his face is as pale as snow. He sits right next to me, stabbing his glass umbrella into the ground. He is wearing some sort of conical shaped hat on his head.

“You couldn’t sleep again?” I asked.

“Yeaaaahhh… the pain is killing me.” He sways his body around.
“If I touch the rain my skin starts flaming up and it HURTS.”

“Maybe it’s because the curse you have?”
“Everyone here is fine except for you.”

“What can you do? Remove the curse without killing me in the process?”

“That… sorta works.”

“I can’t die yet Elius, I haven’t gotten a girlfriend.” He said with a straight face.
“Say… you’re still making graves for them, aren’t you?”

The sudden recollection hits me like a bolt of lightning, jolting me out of the present moment and plunging me into the depths of despair. My breathing became heavy, as if the very air around me had turned heavy with burdens of the past. I couldn’t help but start sobbing from the overwhelming weight of sorrow.

It was as if it was yesterday. I stood on the bottom of Stepstones with my sister, Carina. It wasn’t a sweet reunion, it was our last sparring match, our first duel to the death. She wished to fight against me one last time, I agreed. I defeated her, but I couldn’t muster up the will to end my own sister. She forcefully snatched my scimitar and ended her own life, right in front of her own brother.

“M-my s-sister…”
“I w-want her b-b-back.” Words uncontrollably came out of my mouth.

Julian pats me on the back, followed with a hand on my shoulder. His other hand was turned into glass. I see my own reflection in it.

“You’re Lord Elius! Not some ensign! C’mon, stop being a crybaby!”

“B-but you k-keep complaining a-about-”

“Alright you can keep sobbing.” He gently slaps my back.

The sound of footsteps alerted both of us. I didn’t bother to look as I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of a centurion.

“Marcus? Aren’t you supposed to be standing guard at the docks?” Julian asked.

“General, a few atlantean ships crashed and started swarming us.”

“Damnit man, why do I have to do everything myself.” He sluggishly got up.
“Got a word to say before I go Thunder Monkey?”

I held my cry to the point I couldn’t say a word.

“Alright then, just head back to camp once you’re done.”

Julian creates a new glass umbrella from thin air, grabbing the old one and stabbing it beside me. The sound of footsteps gets fainter and fainter.

“So long, Elius.”

My eyes flickered open. My heart pounding against my ribcage, my mind suspended between the realms of dreams and reality. The more I try to recall the memory, the more I felt it slip away from my grasp, slipping through the gaps between my fingers like sand. Who spoke to me? What was the meaning behind it? I try to recall it-

“Lord Elius.”

With a heavy sigh, I push myself upright, the covers slip onto the ground. I walk out my tent to find a legionnaire covered in blood.

“What is it?” I said, yawning.

“General Julian is requesting for backup.”

“Excuse me… did I… hear you correctly?”

“Come with me.”

We walked. Out the camp, past the field of fallen soldiers, now decorated with glass castles with their names etched into it. Looking back at it, I’m surprised at how much time I spent making those.

We arrive at the docks, decorated with piles of dead atlantean bodies. In the distance, Julian was blasting the remaining atlanteans. The legionnaire bids me farewell as he marched back to camp. The sound of meat being squished under my feet gave me chills as I approached Julian.

“Why did you call me-”

His right hand is grabbing onto his right arm as it starts morphing into different shapes uncontrollably. I rush to help him but it was too dangerous to even get near him. The morphing eventually spreads to a part of his chest.

“JULIAN-”

“STAY BACK.”

The glass turned from transparent to a vibrant palette of colours. It starts to coat his entire body as he struggled to contain his power.

“DID YOU GET INFECTED?”

“AGH- YES, IT FEELS LIKE HELL- JUST KILL ME ELIUS-”

I couldn’t believe it. He was infected in the middle of battle… but that’s impossible… there’s no way he could have gotten infected. His a curse user… that’s practically impossible. I try to lift my arms, but I just couldn’t. I couldn’t bring myself to kill him after all he had done.

“I… I can’t.”
“I CAN’T DO IT.”

Julian suddenly regains his composure. He lunges at me, grabbing my shoulders. He looks at me dead in the eyes, his pupils vibrating from the amount of suffering his holding back.

“I had a good family, got a good job and a few friends, I lived a good life.”
“I order you to execute me, Lord Elius.”

His hands start to morph into glass, piercing my shoulder. He had planned to force me to kill him before he kills me. It was a smart plan, the first ever solid plan planned by him that would actually work.

My hands finally reach the hilt of my scimitars. His chest inches closer while I drew my swords, to a point where his chainmail rubbed against the blades. He swung his body back and forth, tapping on my scimitars awaiting the sweet release of death.

SHRCT-

His grasp on my shoulders became a hug. I see the blades of my scimitars on the other side of his body. His arms slowly returned to normal. I couldn’t help but to start crying on the shoulder of my dear friend.

“I’m… I-I’m so s-sorry…”
“Why… didn’t y-you just k-kill y-y-yourself?”

“I wanted you… to talk to me… one…”
“…last…time…”

The weight of his entire body starts to weigh me down.

“…sor…ry.”

His body fell onto the blood stained decks. His eyes were no longer twitching.

“Julian…?”
“JULIAN??”

He is dead. I never thought something like this would happen again. The death of my friend right in my arms. Is it even worth living at this point…

What am I thinking… these survivors need me. Julian probably handed me their lives so I’d feel guilty if I ended myself here. It’s a good plan made by him, one that actually works.

I wipe the blood off my scimitars as I sheathed them. A hum erupted from the body of the fallen general. I take a few steps back to ensure I don’t get shot off with it.

A large transparent cube disappears into the clouds. I grab his body, walking back to the camp with it. A thought suddenly crossed me which caused me to shed a tear.

“I’m sorry I forgot your birthday. . Julian.”

testing writing tragic stuff, I’d say it’s… not bad for a first try I think?
anyways he dead oopsie daisies

4 Likes

not one, but TWO OF MY FAV BOYS GOING THROUGH THE WORST SHIT EVER. THIS IS MY FINAL STRAW WHYD U HIT ME WITH THAT DOUBLE WHAMMY

nevertheless I ATE THIS UP RAHHHHHHH THIS WAS SO GOOD

and ofc, Julian always got his priorities straight.

surely you read the conical hat right?

does she know

i did see that part, did bro steal shuras drip or something

it’s a birthday party hat…

Very good, I was immersed. You really hammered home the fact that Julian got no game huh :rofl:

1 Like

oh

OH

OH NOOOOOOOOO

I cant believe Julian died on his birthday bitchless :pensive::pensive::pensive:

3 Likes

Hum.

The story is alright, I suppose, though after browsing through the Abyss Sea Trello I can’t help but dislike the “Curse Users have negative effects by the polluted rain” weakness. Of course, yeah, people needed some sort of weakness to prevent every Curse User from obliterating the hordes of Atlanteans, but personally it feels pretty eh.

Maybe it’s just me being a little Fanatic for Curse Users and me tooting their horn way too much, but I’ve heard that a canon character (Wotan), who was stated to have a Curse, also had an interest in the Dark Sea (implying that they ventured into it multiple times). Again, this is an AU, aka not canon… but it doesn’t feel right for Curse Users to get THAT harshly debuffed.

I dunno if Julian got infected or not since information about infected Curse Users is pretty convoluted, but I wanted to share my thoughts as politely as possible since most Abyss Sea works are not doing Curse Users justice.

1 Like

well Julian is the most powerful person on the island, so he stays up to guard the camp while everyone rests. Assuming insanity does take effect, he is at insanity III. The red bloated up skin is basically his skin having a reaction to the magic pollution in the air. Essentially he is weakened by just staying awake.

Julian got scratched and is suffering from extreme pain, since the whole magic pollution thing. He is going to die, very slowly and painfully.

As for giving the curse users justice… another time :3

if they aren’t brutally debuffed then literally 1 could fucking solo the invasion, sorta just ruining the au

I don’t recall Wotan himself having a curse, but I do know that both of his sons possess curses

Assuming the various characters who are probably several leagues above the bronze sea inhabitants in terms of strength don’t solo the invasion beforehand

Of course, but how it’s done currently just feels disappointing. I personally would’ve been pressing more on the fact that they could solo the Invasion, but there’s certain factors that prevent them from going off alone.

This might shake up the AU further, but have you guys considered that instead of crippling Sea Curse users, you instead treat them as some sort of ‘trump card’, only being able to be used in emergencies and such? Maybe have vast amounts of power attract stronger Atlanteans, so their power must be used sparingly, forcing survivors to deal with weaker Atlanteans with Curse Users being restricted to Atlantean Classes that could wipe the normal soldier out easily.

Furthermore… has anyone considered having an Atlantean with a curse? Odd, yes, but it could give a reason why Curse Users that aren’t infected cannot run rampant on their own, lest a beast equal to their strength may rush them down.

my finger is twitching on the trigger

hey guess what

this was already canon :skull:

Curse Users are not at all debuffed in their power, but how MUCH they user their power is something they need to be careful of.

Excessive use of their magic can increase magic pollution in their surroundings, furthering the dark sea’s effects in an area. It could also make the user more prone to insanity. Additionally, with the changing environment, adverse external effects (like small natural disasters) may be caused by their magic, making Sea Curse users a bit dangerous to be around other survivors.

Also, the rain doesn’t hurt them that much, only prevents them from flying.

I should update the Trello to make these changes more clear (and so I dont lise my mind answering them over and over again)

:melting_face: Uhuh.

Some of this gets really perplexing considering this is made by multiple people instead of one defined author, and in turn some content gets me grinning while others just confuses me.

Freedom in writing is something to strive for, but you really gotta pinpoint important information like how Curse Users yadayada. I’m probably being a Canon Lore Sucker rn but man… Abyss Sea is quite the wildcard.

I made it that way because multiple authors = tons of content being put out, so that people wouldn’t be on my ass to put out new stuff (thanks guys), but also if someone didn’t vibe with what one author puts out, they could easily turn to what someone else is writing.

The reason why I was so hesitant to write about Curse users is that I am not very knowledgeable on the Arcane Universe lore, so in wanting to do it justice, I let others suggest how Sea Curses would fit into Abyss Sea. Multiple opinions = more lore accuracy.

tl;dr, Sea Curse usage is still being debated on and will probably never have any concrete rules to them in this AU because of how complex their situation is (unless like fucking techlevel80 shows up and decides bro wants to give their 2 cents our silly little collective delusions)

:egg:
If you say so, then. I hope nobody took my “why are.CurseUsers so… cringe here” as an insult because I 100% did not intend to mock someone’s work. (Damned will I be if I did that to another fellow author)

It just peeves me to see Curse Users in such a mixed state since I’ve been around enough to see Curse Users in action and how they work and a tiny part of me is just flabbergasted… but then again not everyone is inhaling every bit of information regarding Magic Cubes so…

Keep cooking. :fried_egg:

WHY BRO OMGHGAHGSBDSNFBDKJDHBF

2 Likes