An attempt at making magic unique

As we all pretty much know, most magic’s are just swapping stats. There isnt too much uniqueness about it, so heres some stuff I propse. Mage is also bland but this is to try and fix it : D

Acid

Not much to say, its already decently distinct with a huge focus on DOT. See “posion” to see why the acid didnt get any change

Ash

Whoo boy. Aruguably the worst magic in the game. Heres some things I think would make it better, though one addition would make it unique enough

1. Make it grow in size the longer it lingers
  2. If the target is “Splintered” (See wood), give it the burning status effect
  3. If the target is “Charred”, slow the enemy down (mabye bad idea)
  4. Make people drown while in a ash cloud (they cant breathe in it) (It’ll be at the same pace as regular drowning, so it shouldnt be too big of a issue. Mabye speed it up a little, but thats the most it’ll go. Shoos people away from the cloud like its supposed to)
  5. recommended: Make people use more stamina in the cloud of ash

Crystal

Unique enough, its gimmmik is very cool and I approve of it.

Earth

I have 3 ideas to make Earth less of a watered down metal.

1. Losing a clash should split it into multiple earth chunks, dealing smaller damage
  2. After X seconds in the air, it should fall down and do like a slam. Does not apply to non-projectile attacks, however.
  3. Applies the status effect “Dusty” (Dont know about the name, suggest better name). if it is hit by wood, apply “Rooted” stun that heals the player who did it a small portion of the damage
  4. Make it make platforms on water

Explosion

Explosion already has a identity of being the largest size. I feel its already unique enough

Fire

Fire is already the Jack of All trades, it shouldnt be too too unique.

Glass

1. Losing a clash should split it into multiple earth chunks, dealing smaller damage (If earth doesnt get it, make glass get it)
  2. Applies effect “Shrapneled”. If hit by any attack, it causes the enemy to bleed. If it hits a enemy thats already bleeding, apply the warrior’s “Gouged” status effect. Lasts 10s

Ice

Ice is already unique enough with its “Frozen” mechanic.

Light

Light is unique enough with a identity as “The fastest magic”

Lightning

Lightning is already unique being the bridge of heat-based and cold-based

Magma

Magma’s too similar to acid in my opinon. Should be more of crowd control.

1. Melting should be so hot that the aura around it damages enemy players. Doesn’t damage the owner nor the owners party members

Metal

Honestly. I have no clue what to do with this. I guess its already unique being the slowest but the most damaging?

Plasma

Too similar to fire.

1. Scorched status effect should cause the player to take extra stacks of blinding (Instead of taking 1 stack, takes 2 stacks)
  2. Scorched status effect should be unique in that it, when hitting the enemy player, should clear the heat-based DOT the enemy is suffering from. When it does that, however, 75% of the damage the DOT would’ve done is added onto its attack.

Poison Magic

1. Make it like a virus. The effected person should “spread” the poison to other players.
  2. The most unique, thanks to @lookingforabargain. Remove its damage all together, however the DOT would be the main focus dealing a TON of damage, and being hard to clear. DOT should be long and damaging.

Sand Magic

1. Sandy players hit by heat-based magic should take the “Shrapenled” effect (See Glass)
  2. Sandy players should leave behind a trail of sand

Shadow Magic

True jack of all trades magic. Thanks to @GlitchingEclipse for suggesting this!

1. Make Drained have shadow deal more damage on next hit
  2. Make the person with the drained effect take more stamina or energy while affected (this version should also have drained last for a bit longer)
  3. The target loses magic energy when hit by shadow, along with the obscured vision. Non-boss NPCs gain a slightly longer cooldown period between attacks for a moment after being hit by shadow magic.

Snow

Honestly cant do much with this.

1. When “Snowy” status effect ends, apply soaked
  2. Hitting a snow pile with anything should kick it up into a cloud of snow

Water

Jack of all trades for the Cold-Based magic and is a catalyst. @Gamehero14 suggested this:

1. The user’s magic attacks do not expend energy while underwater. They expend 25% less energy if soaked, but not underwater.

Wind Magic

No change needed, its KB effect is unique enough.

Wood Magic

1. Hitting people would wood makes “Splintered” status effect. If the person is undergoing a heat-based DOT, the heat based DOT gets refreshed

So yeah im stupid and dummy dumy pls comment like subssrib and tell me if you hate it or not (if someone wants to post this to #suggestions go ahead har har

I have several ideas for magic changes. Like most of my ideas, they’re rather questionable. Oh well.

9 Likes

Gonna make me wanna be an ash main

1 Like

I wanna make magics unique and not just “Oh this is just stat swapped”

I think it’ll be funny to see ppl drowning in a ash cloud

Doubt it’d be useful now but I remember wanting it to be possible for people to slip in water puddles

1 Like

Halrious but game-breaking

Making it useful is the job of the balancing team. I wanna make it stand out from the rest of the magics. : D

1 Like

Yeah I wanted water magic to be more than this goes with with this as a magic but I’m fine with how it is now

Its already unique enough with it being catalyst and being the Jack of all trades for cold based imo

1 Like

Im going nap nap now. Pls comment on suggestiosn to make magic even moer unique also if ur posting this to suggestions credit me!

Explosion-ash main here.
I think ash is okay as it is, i like the idea of drowning in ash and all, but posion and ash are already unique.

Poison - Direct hit version of ash, largest dot in the game, clouds just because it can
Ash - area denial in large clouds

I’m very proud

ash and earth are meta…

that would be cool if most if not all magics had some unique passive like crystal or wind’s knockback instead of just different stats and applying different effects

that being said lightning should just be able to insta kill, makes it more realistic (:

3 Likes

Ash isnt really area denial, more of mild annoyance. If you are partied and pvping, the cloud thing is useless. If you arent, you both cant see each other. It doesnt do much damage, and its quite small compared to what it should be. Thats why I htink it should grow in size the longer it lasts

Poison on the other hand should be the de-facto gas thing. Though the idea of infecting I think would increase its crowd control

Yeah I kinda agree shadow is the more jack of all trades magic, but Drained is kind of useless as an effect, so here’s some ideas for it:

1. Make Drained have shadow deal more damage on next hit
  2. Make the person with the drained effect take more stamina or energy while affected (this version should also have drained last for a bit longer)

Im thinking of adding back the “Withered” effect, but that makes it less unique in that its just ‘another dot’

What if you remove all the impact damage, and just make shadow a complete DoT magic. That way we don’t have to treat shadow like a physical thing

1 Like

That would be a intresting concept. I might add it to another magic like sand :thinking:

Added it to poison, since I think thats the one htat makes most sense (Poison shouldnt hit you hard but DOT should be focus

2 Likes

Yes.

Im thinking that it wouldnt be too fast, but i’d discurage ppl from staying in it and using it as their own cloak. You use ash and then suddenly you dont see em no more. It owuld both encurage ppl to get out

Obiously wouldnt drown in like 30 microseconds, but balancing aint up to me