An NPC's Perspective: Vice Captain McClain

The skies had darkened already, and the waters had started growing a bit rough. On our reinforced caravel, the Diamond Jewel (named by the Navy, of course), we had been conducting a regular patrol across the Bronze Sea. There was nothing out of the ordinary today besides a couple of pirates, who were swiftly dealt with by some of the fortified navy ketches making their way around the sea as well. Pollard, the captain of our ship, conducted one more search around the perimeter of Harvest Island before declaring that all was clear.

“Alright, let’s head back to Silverhold.” He called out, ordering the marines to adjust the sails accordingly while he steered the ship back.

I looked out over the side of the deck, watching the murky depths below as our caravel sailed swiftly across the sea. The winds were favorable, and we’d be back at Silverhold in no time to take a rest, while the nighttime patrols went out to search for any signs of criminal activity. It was a typical, mundane day, yet I enjoyed it anyway. Getting to sail aboard a Navy ship was no different from being on a regular one, and the ocean was still a wondrous place.

Just this afternoon, we had sighted a blue whale, making its way across the surface of the ocean. The crew couldn’t help but marvel at the creature, a somewhat rare sight in the Bronze Sea. It leaped out of the ocean, spraying us in water, yet nobody minded. Though, my headband fell off, and my long black hair remained damp the entire day.

Joining the Navy had been an ideal of mine since I was younger, and the thought of helping protect the innocent at sea really did sound like a way to spend my life. When I found out that I was a magic user, I was especially motivated. While sand magic wasn’t the most appealing, it was still something, a way I could protect those I cared about. It took many months, if not years, to master, yet I still did it, and I was still working on my magic skills to this day.

I remember my final farewell to my parents back when I departed Shell Island to join the Navy. They stood at the edge of the dock, waving to me as I sailed off on the Navy ketch that was going from island to island, gathering potential new marine recruits. Just barely within earshot, I could hear my mother tell my father something.

“Our daughter has always been invested in bringing peace to the sea. I hope that she can make a major contribution someday.”

I watched their figures fade into the distance, their frail frames still watching as the island I had always known as my home vanished into the horizon. Our ship had a few more stops, the main one being Ravenna, so the rest of the trip was mostly just me looking out over the sea and occasionally greeting the other recruits as our ship headed to Silverhold, where I’d officially start my training as a Navy marine.

It was a few months later when I was finally promoted to Vice Captain. While it was indeed safer to stay at Silverhold to defend the Navy base, I found it more fitting to sail across the sea, helping protect merchants from attacking pirate or Assassin ships. And, of course, that naturally led to me gaining fame within the Navy, and eventually the promotion. It was a time to celebrate, and I returned to Shell Island for a week to take a break.

My parents passed away a few months after, but considering they were already rather elderly, it was only natural that it would happen. I extended my stay at Shell for a bit, but I eventually returned to the Navy, working on daily patrol ships, just as I was doing today. I stilled missed them though, and every once in a while, I would stare out of the mass dormitories in Silverhold at the ocean, just thinking of what my life would be had I not joined the Navy. My older brother worked as a shipwright assistant at Palo, though honestly, I didn’t really find that an interesting career path.

I felt myself slowly falling asleep on the deck of our caravel. It was much later than when we usually returned, and some of the marines seemed quite drowsy too, even as the manned the cannons and kept a watchout over the ocean. That’s why it was all so disorienting when I heard Pollard scream “Pirates!” out of nowhere.

In mere minutes, despite Captain Pollard’s efforts to avoid it, a reinforced pirate caravel smashed right into the side of our ship. Their crew quickly boarded the ship, and I recognized the captain as Captain Grimes - a criminal I had seen on the bounty board once or twice at Silverhold.

“Take them down!” Pollard commanded, as the marines readied their cutlasses and swords. Pollard himself grabbed his boxing gloves, and rushed into battle, punching some of the weaker pirates off the deck. Their quartermaster managed to slash him a few times, but Pollard still managed to defeat them. I stayed near the helm, firing sand blasts and casting a placed pillar explosion or two. I knew the sand was blinding, and I did not want to mess Pollard up in battle.

Still, the pirates pushed forwards, and though nearly all had been defeated, the captain still remained, strong as ever. Some of our marines had fallen, leaving only two or three, yet the captain quickly dispatched of all of them. Pollard was clearly distracted, still fighting off two or three pirates, firing a wind beam at them. He wasn’t experienced as a mage, preferring hand-to-hand combat, but he knew to use magic when he needed.

Just as I thought we were winning, Grimes leapt forwards at me, his sword outstretched. I couldn’t even react before I was stabbed in the chest. I collapsed onto the deck, coughing out blood, as Pollard turned around to fight Grimes. I watched the two punch and slash at each other, until finally, Pollard struck Grimes square in the face, and the pirate was knocked out.

He ran over to me, using what little medical supplies we had to try and treat the wound, yet it didn’t seem enough. The blood continued to pour out; the sword and slashed a deep wound into me. I looked up at the night sky, the stars bright overhead.

“Just hold on, McClain, we’re going to head back to Silverhold as fast as we can. Don’t die…”

And yet, I knew that we wouldn’t get there in time. The pirate ship had hit damaged ours quite a bit, and the hull had some small leaks. I coughed again, not daring to move, bearing the pain as best I could. But still, I could feel the darkness at the edges of my vision creeping in closer, and I could only barely keep my eyes from shutting. Even though I lay there dying, I whispered something to Pollard.

“Pollard… I just want to tell you… It was an honor to server for the Grand Navy.”

And even as my consciousness faded to nothing, I could hear his reply reaching me.

“The Navy will miss you, McClain… Truth be told, I had heard the Lieutenants say that they were considering promoting you this weekend. If only you could experience that… We will make sure to honor you and all the marines who had lost their lives today from this encounter.”

With that, I felt at peace, and so I shut my eyes for one last time, my blood still leaking out across the blue wood of the caravel’s deck despite Pollard’s best efforts to stop the bleeding with what little amounts of resources we had.

I thought I somehow woke up on Cirrus Island. The floor definitely felt like that of the sky island’s clouds, and I could see what saw like a building. Yet, as I got up, it seemed like it was more than that. I could see quite a lot of people passing by on the streets, and even a Grand Navy flag off in the distance. My chest still ached from the wound, even though it was no longer there. I wondered if this slight ache would go away later.

I saw some odd looking glass spheres stationed across the street, and some people peered into them, looking at some sort of image inside. I supposed I’d go figure out what those were later, but if this really was some sort of afterlife, there were two people in particular I wanted to find… And after what felt like hours of walking, I finally found them. Speechlessly, I walked over to them, and based on their surprised faces, I already knew they’d be happy to see me again.

“Mother, Father… I’ve missed you both since I joined the Navy. I just want to know… Where exactly am I?”

7 Likes

Hm. This story’s quite nice, though a tragic end, at least the Vice Captain did her very best to serve the Navy. Though an NPC from a game perspective, in-universe, McClain and other marines were a few of many fallen heroes, and one of the few who was incorruptible.

Bro, i have seen a ship literally named „Fortune’s Fortune” XD

Write a new „An NPC’s Perspective” tale about that one NPC in Redwake that endlessly push-ups.

1 Like

Ship names tend to be weird sometimes.

My next chapter is of a Ravenna centurion during the Ravenna part of the main storyline, I’m just not motivated to finish it, following that is an Assassin Journeyman at Whitesummit

I only write about the randomized npcs that spawn around the map, not the preset ones like townspeople or main story characters.

I found the pirate captain in the story

Vice captain McClain VS Maddox browne (Lore VS Funnies)

I just want to point out a small error:

But otherwise, this is a very nice piece.