Animal Companions: Cats

Animal Companions: Cats
effort 4.6 15 quality 4.8 15 reasonability 4.625 16

Animals are something that Arcane Odyssey is not stranger to. We already have sharks, whales and some creatures like the Obolus. However, these are all hostile mobs that are purely used for resources. What if we had some friendly animals instead?

Cats
Cats will be used primarily as a companion and automatic fishing tool. They will also be companions while exploring an island.
Customization
They can sit on your lookout tower, near your feet when sailing, on the guard rails, and on top of the sails. You can also dress them up with hats that already exist in the game (Stats do not affect anything).
Functioniality
Going up to your cat will prompt a GUI where you can feed your cat fish. If your cat has been fed a fish, you will recieve the option to have them fish for you. If you press yes, the cat will play an animation where they will jump off the boat and into the water, shortly after despawning to prevent lag. Every 45 seconds to 10 seconds, your cat will catch a fish with these rates.
Common and Uncommon Fish 45 Seconds Per 1 Fish
Rare Fish and Golden 30 Seconds Per 1 Fish
Exotic Fish 15 seconds per 1 fish
Legendary Fish 10 seconds per 1 fish
The rarity of the fish caught will be random. Unless on land and near a tropical water source, your cat cannot catch freshwater fish. The fish you fed your cat will run out as a source of fuel every 15 minutes, unless it is large and exotic or legendary, in which case it will last 30.

On Land
Docking near land and equipping a carrying bag will make your cat jump into the bag with its head sticking out of the top. Your cat will meow near players due to their hearing (even if not-visible and must be making noise) and will purr occasionally just for fun. If in pvp and you die, the cat will spawn next to you and hiss.

Getting Cats
Cats can be bought on the open seas from travelling merchants which will sell these animals at a cost of 1k galleons. You can also buy a cat bag for only 300 extra galleons. You can customize the breed of your cat before buying it.

Why?
Personally, I find sailing lonely, especially if I am not playing with friends. Exploring can feel like this as well. Not only does having friendly animals provide a new way to gain galleons and an aide to your overall experience, but it also can create a reason to keep coming back to the game. Also, a lot of OCs have animals and this could just really bring that reality to life. If this suggestion is ever considered, I would be more than glad at making the models and animations :slight_smile:

Feedback
If you have any feedback for me or suggestions, please comment it!
@StellaRoti Has made a post for this too! Check it out!
Animal Companion concepts ft. Cats - Art - Arcane Odyssey
If you like this, I will make one about parrots next.

8 Likes

make it so you can only buy cats from traveling merchants on boats. No need to crowd up towns even more with more vendors.

But yes gimmie kitty.

5 Likes

I’ll add that! Thanks for the response :smiley:

vetex would probably need someone else to animate the cats.

1 Like

Arcane Odyssey [PETS]

7 Likes

Your cat hates that you have a skill issue.

i like cats

1 Like

Same my guy

free catgirl

1 Like

The cats taking longer to catch lower rarity fish kinda confuses me, but I guess it’s meant to be “getting higher rarity fish doesn’t take as much of the time the cat can fish as more common fish”?

no thats the fish you feed the cat which determines how long it takes to catch fish.

1 Like

Those are the fish you fed the cat. Higher rarity, faster catching times

I’m not sure if I said that in a confusing way, or something, but I wasn’t questioning the whole “cat can fish longer if fed big or very rare (or both) fish” part. What had me thinking, was the phrasing for the amount of time the cats take to catch individual fish, which doesn’t seem to make sense to me. Especially since rarer fish take longer to catch for players.

1 Like

It kind of does make since in a literal matter as we are using rods that really are quite RNG irl. Compared to the cat who actually hunts them underwater

catching fish is randomized so it takes the same time to catch any fish

a legendary fish allows your cat to catch 180 fish in 30 minutes.

1 Like

Only if you don’t count how long it takes to reel them in, and how long they poke at the hook before you can start that.

I feel like that explanation makes even less sense. Are you trying to tell me a Giant Basking Shark puts up less of a fight than a normal-sized northern cod?

the cat is god. this is a videogame and this is a suggestion which can be changed.

1 Like

does it have to be logical? This is a game where we shoot magic fire out of our hands and are able to jump off of an entire ass sky island without taking any damage

1 Like

I like how instead of pointing out the ways it could be changed they just criticize :skull: