Announcing my non-traditional Forum ARG Event! (Yes there are prizes)

My Magnum Opus Forum Project

A month ago now, I asked what kind of short story people would like to see set in the AO world. I got my answer and then people very likely forgot all about this humble little post.

But if you know me, sometimes I have a spark of insanity that inspires me to go big or go home. So what started as a short story with a goal of 30~ pages has evolved into a full fledged ARG game that I plan to post on the Forums in the coming week. So Here it is:

Aside from digging through the story itself, you will also have to work together with each other to dig through other pieces of media I upload for clues. Sometimes the death certificates of certain characters you complete will reveal clues for others. Sometimes one of you will claim a prize that gives new info you can use for further prizes.

So far the prize pool contains:

40,000 galleons (250 galleons paid per correctly deduced piece of information. The Captain of the ship and the point of view characters do not count.)

Every type of amulet (fair)

Multiple Vindicators
Multiple Ax Slash Scrolls
Multiple Pulsar scrolls

Multiple Strong Scrolls
Multiple Hard Scrolls
Multiple of all scrolls aside those

Some Boss Items (but not all, as this is an ARG, I only give out ones that it makes sense for the Navy to reasonably obtain in the spirit of immersion.)

There also some minor awards chucked into the ‘prize sets’. One set for example is the “High Tide Brawler” set, which gives 50 seawater bottles, ax slash, etc. These prize sets are the main way you will obtain items, but fret not, I plan to give everyone who even remotely participated something more than just simple money for the trouble. I don’t honestly expect this to get popular enough where I will have to worry about having too many people competing for prizes.

WHERE: The Writing forums

WHEN: Roughly ONE WEEK from now. I still have many chapters to write, then I will release the story sequentially.

I hope at least some of you show interest in this, I’m going back to the game for a bit, still need to farm a bit for some more prizes!

For now, I leave you with this preview of Chapter 1:

Chapter 1 Preview

Kreel

UPDATE: THIS IS NOW RELEASED! PLEASE ENJOY!

20 Likes

I’m too sleep deprived to completely understand what this is, but it seems fun nonetheless

Well then Wake up! Nah but that’s fine. I do intend to make logic puzzles I consider decently challenging so hopefully this will force some people to exercise their brains in a positive way… or I might just make someones head explode, Idk. Either way it sounds like fun.

seems cool so far, ill dig in when i get home

Hope you enjoy it when it officially starts

This looks interesting

What I’m seeing is this is an in-game treasure hunt? And you have to go to certain areas to learn about the crew?

Or am I reading it wrong?

Is it too cheap to make a One Piece joke? Nah.

Yes and no. You’ll be doing a lot. Sometimes I might mention a detail in passing within the story in the book, so you have to draw on your knowledge of what certain characters have said in game. I can’t spoil how or why on that front. Sometimes the clues will be directly in the story. Sometimes you’ll be looking at the various art pieces like death certificates, catalogues, crew logs, purchase histories etc to try and piece together where each of these crew members came from. I won’t say ALL of these things will come up, and in fact some of them might be red herrings. All depends on how hard I want to go into the puzzle aspect.

I see.

So there will be DMs or public posts about it and some of the puzzles tie into the story. So there could be a hint about how the mc destroys for talos.

???
this man really is insane

1 Like

First chapter is almost done and it is about 7 pages so far. Next chapters will probably be shorter. Less to establish- and less people to kill.

This seems interesting, I’ll look forward to how this pans out :]

Also are we allowed to work together with others on this?

Also after looking through the current preview, the Yellow and Orange are kinda hard to tell apart, I initially thought they were the same at first. Looks like each color will correspond to a character later on in the story?

Will be participating if most of the clues are found in the text itself and not web-hunt-like things

The yellow letters seem to spell out “i got my leg”

Considering I managed to get Red as
I think I messed up with differentiating the colours.

Some of them have meanings but red looks just like nonsense (we are otne?) Orange and Blue could be names?

It’s a bit hard to tell Yellow and Orange apart but i feel like it should be
Yellow: It got my leg
Orange It burns

wait there’s a blue?

That makes more sense

Sharks?