Arcane Academy - Chapter Three - Conspiracy

I’m way late lol
I’ll try to get the next one on time

They climbed through the cramped hole down a ladder. They found themselves in a long hallway with an iron door at the end. They peered through a small slit and noticed multiple people with hoods and intricate masks, three appeared to be adults, however, the other three appeared to be shorter. Two people appeared to be arguing, one with a golden mask and one whose face was out of view. “You should’ve told me about the plan!” yelled the man with the golden mask. “It still worked didn’t it?” said the other hooded man. “And what if it didn’t?” “Then I suppose you might end up like the last batch of warlocks that you hanged” The hooded man spoke confidently and smugly. Everyone else in the room was silent, either too scared or tired to interrupt. One of the shorter cultists interjected, “If I may ask, are we actually going to do something other than arguing during this meeting?” The man with the golden mask grumbled, “We might as well begin the plan soon, we just need a target.” Issac whispered something quietly, “The hecks going on?” Henry shrugged, as Keyra continued to stare intently through the slit. “Guys, I think they might be warlocks. We should get out of here and tell an adult about this.” Henry whispered back quickly, “What if the teachers are in on it too? What if they just incinerate us once they figured out we knew!?” Issac replied, “We should just get out and plan it out later”, After a short amount of banter they eventually all agreed, they began to make their way out when Issac accidentally hit the metal door with his foot.

The clang echoed and everything went still for a second as all three of them froze, paralyzed from fear. “What was that?” said a younger voice. The gruff voice that they recognized from the golden masked one replied “Looks like you let someone in John.” “I’ll deal with it.” Suddenly an explosion of purplish flame erupted from the door and knocked them all back. The warlock prepared several more fireballs as they tried to get away, frantically running down the hall. Henry yelled while running down the hall, “You sure got us wrapped up in something”, Issac yelled back, “Look, was I supposed to leave the giant ominous hole in the ground there!?” A second fireball boomed down the hallway, Henry quickly tried to raise a shield as the roaring purple flame hit it and knocked him down the hallway. Despite the heavy hit, Henry appeared mostly unharmed, “Hah! Told you, I could do magic Mom!” Henry said as he began to get up. Suddenly the warlock pulled out a flame whip, cracking it against the wall, Keyra threw a glowing ball at the warlock, which he knocked out of the air as it dissolved against the burning whip. She elbowed Issac, “Distract him, I’m going to do a spell to knock him out” She began casting a spell, as the warlock approached, Issac began panicking as the crackling of flames began getting closer“What? Just hit him with a light spell, slow him down with something!”
Issac began panicking, grabbing a rock off the ground and throwing it at the warlock, he caught it in mid, seeming more disappointed than concerned.

“I thought you were supposed to be good at magic”, he said as his arm began to glow a bright orange before the rock was crushed to a fine dust a boom echoed throughout the hallway.
“I’ve had enough of this stalling” He stopped briefly, before stomping on the ground as a wave of flame sprouted out of the ground, barrelling through the hallway and launching the stone flooring into the air as it approached. Keyra yelled a curse before yanking Issac down the hallway, as the flame approached, it felt as if the air itself was boiling. Issac practically slammed into the ladder as he approached. They began clambering up the ladder as the wave of flame approached, Henry briefly began casting another shield spell before being yanked up by Issac. “Hey, I had that covered”, They heard voices from underneath them, “Did you at least get their faces?”, “No, but they’ll be gone soon enough”, Another flame erupted from the hole, “Run!” shouted Issac as they all burst through the door. As they turned the corner they slammed into a teacher holding a cup of tea, “Hey! You made me spill my tea!”, he had a posh British accent and was wearing a fancy suit with tea all over it. “Sir, there’s a warlock chasing us with a fire whip,” Henry said quickly. The teacher peered around the corner, looking slightly confused, “Is this a prank? This isn’t funny you know.” Henry replied, “He was literally right there”, before looking down the hall to see nobody there. “Dammit” whispered Henry

Henry, Keyra, and Issac met up later in the common room. It had a warm fireplace facing the wall, as well as a bar with a suit of animated armor serving drinks. They sat in a corner booth, all having various different drinks.
“Should we tell someone? Keyra, you have a lot of credibility” Henry whispered
“We don’t have solid evidence, besides what if the person we tell is in on it?” Issac replied
“Well, we could’ve gotten evidence if you distracted that idiot with anything that wasn’t a rock so that I could knock him out!”
“Hey, I bet the high wizard wouldn’t have needed a distraction to knock out a warlock” Issac shouted back
Keyra began to reply when the doors to the common room slammed shut, one of the students leaving the room stumbled backwards after hitting the wall. “Oy mate, no messing with the doors” he shouted at one of the other students. “That wasn’t me!” was the reply. Suddenly the animated armor began convulsing violently, before stopping and snapping its head towards Keyra, Issac, and Henry. “Keyra Nightingale, Issac Norman, and Henry Carnor. I’m afraid you’ve all made a very grave mistake,” it said in a raspy voice. Henry whispered a curse as the plated construct pulled out a sword.

3 Likes
Should I use more timeskips
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

It’s been three chapters and still haven’t gotten one day done, just want to know opinions

add paragraphs between character dialogue. Ummm who animated the armor in the first place?
anyways good story can’t wait to read the next chapter in 3 weeks.

someone who made the school proably

true.

Random worldbuilding time cause bored. Animated armour was used in the Dark Ages to slay the demon, they later reproposed it to serve drinks after the war. It’s a mildly difficult project that requires at least advanced conjuration abilities

Weapons of mass destruction=free maids.

What idiot thought that plan up?

well they had a bunch extra and they needed a bartender. Besides they weren’t much more then foot soldiers, particularly durable ones, but still

okay then.

Some guy after they finally killed the demon: “YAY victory someone bring me a drink!”
No one came so a mage just got a suit of armour to do it and it was all good.

well I mean for the school.
Do you think they’d come up to a random guy and go, you go to magic school, but only to serve drinks

I would. I’d offer him a lot of money to do it. Or create a bunch of r2-d2s

well still, a bartender wants money and sleep, a suit of animated armour does not

true that.

what about oil dough?

Gonna revamp first chapter before writing new one tho. Current state makes me cringe upon reading

Since it says “the” I’ll assume there is one armor. Let’s begin shall we.
Animated armor has an armor class of 18 and 33 hit points. it can hit twice for 1d8 +2 slashing damage per hit.

Assuming the children are going to school to learn magic they are apprentices. Henry, Keyra, and Issac + the other students are all there. We’ll say 6 at most. Apprentice mages have an Armor class of 10 and 9 hit points each. they have the ability to cast fire bolt and burning hands as attack spells while casting shield as a defense spell. fire bolt does 1d10 fire damage with a +4 to hit, burning hands is an area of effect damage spell dealing 3d6 fire damage on a failed save with a dexterity check of 12.

animated armor vs. 6 apprentice mages. mages would win but at least maybe two or three mages will likely die. Unless they fudge the dice and deal max damage or crit.

This is a joke btw.

remainds me how my party almost tpked against the first enemy of the dungeon. Which happened to be an animated armour

Also he has a longsword which I believe would actually be 2d6 damage

oh i used animated armor stat block. but if he’s using a longsword its definitly 1d8+str modifier slashing.
greatsword is 2d6 slashing

lmao
This is going to be a month late isn’t it?
Well anyways, I started working on it, but I might not have time to finish it for a while, I am working on another series that will probably get out first though