Arcane Odyssey v1.13 Balancing Changes WIP

And people said soaked self synergy would be bad when dots add 5-7% dmg minimum since no one is clearing before the first tick

2x duration

Doc is too much. Some changes need to be saved for future patches.

For what? What am I doing with a 20s soaked

All bleed stackers getting 50% extra dmg over 5 seconds with a virtual minimum of 10% extra dmg

If u have a synergy and a 20second long soaked that synergy is going to last the full 20 seconds.

Damage buff makes no sense because if you were to apply Soaked using an imbued weapon that doesn’t have Soaked, you wouldn’t be getting extra damage for that because the only benefit of Soaked on its own is synergies. Same result as if you apply Soaked using an imbuement that already applies Soaked.

The only loss you get from doing that is synergies (since you have the same synergies regardless of whether or not you imbue Water).

If you were to apply Bleeding using an imbued weapon that doesn’t have Bleeding, it would cause the target to Bleed. If you were to use a weapon that applies Bleeding, you lose that aspect, hence you’re losing out on damage. That’s why it applies two.

If I’m water water which I need for that 20s soaked than I have nothing to synergize with that soaked.

Same would happen if you imbued Water on Basic.

If I were to apply Glass on Basic however, vs applying Glass on Iron Leg, there would be a huge difference, because in one case I’m losing damage and in another case, I’m not.

It very unequally benefits a dot magic though. That 10% global would’ve been better than giving metal an extra bleed stack

If the point is to increase the viability of double statuses or make them less worthless. Than why is it only beneficial to the dot statuses

Yeah but the whole point of the change isn’t because “it would be really cute if the fire magic got more damage when using the fire fighting-style.”

DoT magics get less damage for the strict purpose that they have a DoT.

That means if you imbue a DoT magic onto a magic/f-style that already has the same DoT, you LOSE damage because you no longer get the added benefit of your own DoT.

This means you are downgrading by imbuing a DoT magic onto something that has the DoT. It’s getting worse.

If I imbue a non-DoT magic onto something, I’m not losing any more damage than I should be, because my damage is not based on a DoT. The value of your status is synergy, not damage, so you don’t need to deal extra damage because that extra damage isn’t compensating for a loss, it’s adding a new benefit completely.

What your losing by imbuing duplicate non-DoTs is synergy potential. That’s the only redundancy. Hence why the durations are buffed, meaning that your synergy potential is increased. Duplicate DoTs technically also lose synergy potential but that’s not as important as outright losing damage.

For a thought experiment, think about what you would gain from imbuing Water into Basic Combat, and then imbuing Glass into Basic Combat.

If I imbue Water into Basic Combat, I now have Soaked synergies. If I imbue Glass into Basic Combat, I now deal DoT.

Take that same scenario, instead making Water imbue into Sailor, and Glass imbue into Iron Leg.

If I imbue Water into Sailor, I don’t deal Soaked because I already deal Soaked with Sailor.

If I imbue Glass into Iron Leg, I don’t deal Bleeding because Iron Leg already deal Bleeding in the first place.

Glass was designed around using Bleeding to compensate for its damage losses. That just means I lose damage without that compensation.

Not sure if Water was necessarily designed around being able to synergize, but that’s what you lose by imbuing into Sailor. So the solutions are:
A. Make it synergize better
B. Compensate in some other area
C. Increase duration so that synergies can last longer.

Increasing duration seemed like the simplest solution because it’s basically stacking Soaked’s duration rather than applying two instances of Soaked (which is literally useless).

3 Likes

Any positive synergy with soaked Litterally clears it. 20s for nothing.

lightning doesn’t remove it when it paralyzes

Since when?

It does and then prevents you from reapplying Soaked, but that’s not how it should work.

Preventing you from reapplying is a bug, as to whether it shouldn’t remove Soaked, I think that’d be cool since Paralysis doesn’t have any interactions on its own anyways.

Ya it shouldn’t remove soaked

So non dot gives up potential of synergies for double duration, but dots give up potential of synergies for double dot dmg.

Non-DoT magics give up potential of synergy for double duration. DoTs give up potential of synergies for nothing.

Applying two DoTs is because DoT magics NEED their DoTs to deal damage. Double DoTs compensate for that, not the synergy potential, otherwise they’d get compensated in two areas rather than 1.

Ideally, dupe-combos like Water-Sailor would get 50% synergy increase (because that’s how it would work if you had two stacks of synergies, so it makes perfect sense). Only reason this wasn’t the suggestion was because I don’t see a world where Vet ends up adding that.

Why not give the dots double duration as well instead of effectively doubling their dmg? Over the same interval

Some magics just break those rules about reduced dmg for dot, mainly metal and wood. Magma and acid also have pretty high dmg even with dot.

But DoTs are already set to be reapplied when you hit them again… right?
at least on the new balancing doc.