Arcane Odyssey v1.13 Balancing Changes WIP

Me when the immense earth-shattering slash can’t cut wood or glass

i mean…

duration should not be a positive either, no? I think it’s 0, in this scenario

200 damage in 15 seconds is the same as 200 damage in 5 seconds. The only real thing that matters is the damage, unless you want duration to weigh positively for synergy potential. You’d then probably need to account for the synergies the magic has to accurately weigh whether that duration is very impactful. (a 15 second DoT with 0 synergies is less impactful than a 5 second DoT with 8.)

so unless you want to do that, I wouldn’t weigh the duration at all

it’s funny how fucking PLASMA and LIGHTNING do less damage than some minerals

It’s not gonna be 200 dmg in 5 seconds and 200 in 15 though. It’ll be 200 dmg in 15 seconds and 70 in 5 seconds

what produces this

Poison is 100% dmg and burn is 35%. If 200 dmg is the base than the poison gets 200 and the burn gets 70 since they all use the same base now (metal base dmg).

i don’t really see how this changes much? the total damage dealt doesn’t rely on duration, yes? then why weigh it? the only reason I see to weigh duration is synergy potential, which then requires you to weigh synergies

Yes, it changes it in that poison has more dmg from dot.

quit meatriding water

no it doesn’t get “more damage from longer duration”, it just has more damage in general.

if poison did 20% 5 times in 5 seconds for 100%, that’s the same as 5% every second for 20 seconds for 100%. the total damage from DoT in this scenario is a constant 100% of impact damage

I’m saying it just has more dmg cause it’s total dmg is set higher

I’d rather pick what I like to use and than try and improve it

1 Like

yes, you are correct in the sense that poison has higher DoT damage. however, you are incorrect in saying duration plays a part in giving it that damage.

I never said that that duration changes the total dmg; I was arguing with someone that said the slightly higher dps of burn and scorch made it better than poison

If no one minds I’m gonna go sneak a paralyze jellyfish shield in to synergize with water conj

oh, sorry, seem to have misread, im REALLY stupid for this lmfao

that could be true (i don’t know how reapplication works) but you’d have to take an arbitrary duration into account and assume DoTs are reapplied as soon as they end

but reading back, @Level does have a point.

If you don’t account for duration here, this isn’t such great data for practical use (it’s not like the Fire user can’t land another DoT or 2 in the time it takes Poison to expire.)

If Poison can’t be refreshed with a higher DoT, it could potentially do less DPS in a sustained fight than a quickly re-applicable DoT. You could negatively weigh duration as the more quickly you can reapply a quick DoT, you’ll do more average damage than a really long DoT

With the poison duration reduction though, it rivals burn in dps.

i assume that’s the point

although for your stats, poison seems to be the best for damage irrespective of duration. will you account for that now, or?