Arcane Odyssey v1.13 Balancing Changes WIP

Only magics that had self-synergy before had dot. And light is getting self-synergy in this balance patch.

Granted, light has, you know, the worst damage in the game, and we all know crystal needs a nerf, but whatevs

This is under status (wip)

Soaked:
Applies Scalded when hit by a heat magic
Magma: applies Petrified (Obsidian coloured)
Wind: -10% ā†’ +10% and applies Frostbite (works like the old effect) or Freezing (but this is more boring/uncreative)

Heat magic and wind synergy

that REALLY doesnā€™t change the point that much. And donā€™t get me started on the fact that theyre buffing magma, because WHY NOT

magma stun in water map :robot:

Scalded just means they still get reduced dmg but they auto apply their dots since scald is the same as burn. That magma buff is completely and absolutely unnecessary though.

Is there more info on scalded? You donā€™t have decrease damage with self? Does scald act as a scald DoT and you can stack the other DoT with it or is it just the same?

For a catalyst magic, water is just worse acid, has more negatives than positives (mostly heat, acid explosion)

Magma stun isnā€™t needed but I guess it helps heat magics and wind. Not really sure how to fix it. How broken was water with max size?

Scalded is virtually identical to burn except that it has a different name and icon.
Awakenings only existed for like two months before release so I think some of the nerfs had to deal with water being the first synergy testers went to.

Soaked synergy buffs are fine, but letā€™s maybe not move Water back to being as strong of a solo magic as it was in WoM again. Shit was so braindead it was unbearable

1 Like

Its the fact that soaked is supposed to be a catalyst with no dot but is outclassed by most dot magics in synergy.

1 Like

yeah only real synergies are frozen and paralyzed

This is from maplestorm

As you can see water is one of the worst in terms of synergy.

I see that yā€™all donā€™t know what to do to make brutal rush more effective, I have an idea.

perhaps brutal rush when it makes contact with the ground, it makes a damaging shockwave, and then ricochets off the surface.

if it directly hits an enemy, it ricochets off of em, and if thereā€™s a group of enemies, itā€™ll bounce around and hit all of them.

this makes brutal rush a good crowd control tool, boosts its AOE, and in confined spaces, this can be a menace.

Acid and Water are meant to be two sides of the same coin, for heat magic synergies and cold magic synergies respectively. Corroding has more positive damage interactions because it cannot result in hard CC, while Soaked can. The magics themselves have a fair tradeoff, Acid having lower impact damage and higher DoT with average speed and terrible size, and Water having higher impact damage with no DoT with average speed and impressive size.

Water isnā€™t as bad of a magic as people seem to be making it out to be as it stands. Itā€™s flat-out better than Ice by a good margin and even after its nerfs from WoM it stands out as a fairly potent stat-stick, for what is supposed to be a supportive magic.

Could it use a bit of a buff? Maybe, which itā€™s getting regardless. The new interactions with Soaked relating to the Scald status should be more than enough to give this magic a bit of a boost.

But the thing is acid has just overall better synergies than water allowing to be stronger in support as well as having synergies that strengthen its own dmg making it a potent primary as well.
With scald it will still likely reduce the dmg of those magics and scald is identical to fire so it just skips to the dot earlier.
What Iā€™m saying is that water is lacking as a primary magic and could use synergies that increase its dmg to make it more valuable as a primary.

yā€™all like my idea

Once again, different purposes. Acid brings 10% damage interactions to the table. Water brings Frozen and Paralyzed to the table. Water doesnā€™t need better damage interactions. Thatā€™s not its purpose.

1 Like

Had some ideas for boss changes. Though some of them might be a bit much:
-Make the boss arenas indestructible (idk if this has been suggested already). The destructible environment hinders both player movement and boss attacks. Itā€™s really tiring having a boss get stuck in the ground.

Shura: Remove the corrosive puddles/make them disappear faster. Shura currently feels like a bit much despite being the first boss in the game. Just let the player focus on the attacks coming from Shura directly instead of overwhelming them with environmental junk.

Iris: Increase her attack rate, but give her periods to rest so players have a chance to attack her.

Elius: Not much to say about this boss. I think heā€™s pretty decent. Lower the amount of electricity particles for his second phase. Itā€™s an eyesore. Damage values could be lowered as he does feel like quite a jump in difficulty.

Cernyx: Increase his attack rate (or keep it exactly the same). Add some contraptions around the map. When he uses an attack that brings him to your position, lure him into said traps to stun him and give yourself a chance to attack him.

Carina: I think she would benefit greatly with an indestructible arena.

Calvus: The 500 damage attack needs a better hint on avoiding it. Maybe a bit of dialogue that appears onscreen?

1 Like

This. PLEASE!!
100% agree!!

Giving a better hint about Calvusā€™ big attacks would also be really helpful. Plus, itā€™s not exactly a nerf so it should be okay to do so just as a QoL update to Calvusā€™ already incredibly frustrating boss fight.

I think Carina needs a damage buff and for the arenas there should only be one level of destructible floor