Assistance needed regarding memory leak

Hello everyone,

As you may have noticed, we have been experiencing some persistent FPS lag in AO that is caused by a memory leak. I have been investigating the issue, but I need your help to get to the bottom of it.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could report what actions you were doing in the game when you noticed your fps dropping and not recovering. This information will help me identify which game features might cause the memory leak and further test it.

Please be as specific as possible in your reports, including details such as which island you were on, which magic or build you were using, what activity you were doing, and any other relevant information. The more detailed your report, the better I will be able to pinpoint the cause of the lag.

I’m looking for fps drops that stay and do not go away.

P.S The memory leak is player-caused as servers left to run for many hours on their own experience no drop in performance.

40 Likes

when i look down my fps becomes dogshit idk why

1 Like

breaking structures

4 Likes

Hey!

A pretty common memory leak involves imbuing, specifically on Thermo Fist (unsure if it affects other styles).

I think the M1 effect is the issue, as you punch more and more with Thermo the game begins halting on every swing, or the imbue effect (magic circle appearing) is the cause. I’ll test it in a bit

29 Likes

Breaking structures, getting shot at by solid magics, large clouds of ash/poison

1 Like

this happens on boxing too, safe to assume all styles, happens on my warlock

8 Likes

My game starts lagging a lot once I have the Navy spawn on me from Notoriety. Possibly due to all the NPCs attacking me at once.

2 Likes

i think it’s because of the shaders or something

I tend to experience bad fps

• In ravenna because of carnia and calvus
  • Noteriety boats
  • Weirdly enough it randomly spikes
  • Imbuement can be a problem
1 Like

The most common cause of frame drops I experience is from m1ing with Thermofist, I’ve seen this issue pointed out by many other thermo warlocks as well

8 Likes

I have noticed a few different actions that cause massive lagspikes during my gameplay. Also, for the record, these have all occured on the glass conjurer I’m leveling. My main account generally has smooth fps except for one specific location.

1st lag spot: Literally existing anywhere around the mid-section of the map, occupying the space betweens stepsones, palo town, and limestone key especially.

using beam spells with any magic, but especially with explosion and ash

fishing on anywhere south of frostmill is abnormally laggy, but if I fish north of that location the fps is smooth as butter.

As a warlock w/ lighting & sailor fist, imbued M1s consistently drop FPS

3 Likes

i get lagspikes being at ravenna and turning my camera around

1 Like

Typically when my boat attatches to another boat i lose like 5-4 frames

i also have this on my thermo, where i was at munera garden m1ing, an my fps became horribe while punching. decent fps when i stop m1ing.

2 Likes

Iron leg imbune isn’t permanent so you can spam click it and literally just summon the circles as much as you want, not great for when you switch between magic and fighting style constantly while fighting.

Ravenna is quite literally lag kingdom.

M1’s with fist fighting styles are hell.

5 Likes

Render issues. Unrelated to memory leak.

1 Like

low end PC person here - I tend to notice when my frames get eaten and don’t return, so here it goes!

Imbuement
is a common thing stated here, and I can agree sometimes it just decides “nuh uh ur stinky” and eats my frames !

Other players attack effects
for whatever reason tend to cause extreme frame drops. When fighting Carina with the boys, we had very big lag and frame issues. We were light, poison, and plasma conjurers! :v:

Messages appearing on the right side of the screen
Whenever I’ve claimed an island for my clan, theres always been a curse that causes lag for me. This goes for all messages that appear but this one tends to be the worst because it just appears so frequently.

I have no idea why, but whenever the ‘you cannot claim this island u already claimed one, stinky’ notification appears on the bottom right of the screen, it just eats my FPS.

Over, and over, and over. I’ve noticed when disabling global message notifications and minimizing the amount I can get, I barely lag as much as I do on other games as big as AO!

I noticed this hugely at one point when I went to sandfall to dig up a legendary chart after claiming harvest island - ended up lagging so hard my entire client shit itself and crashed.
The only thing that would put gaps between the frozen frames was when I’d get a notification that wasn’t the claim notification, which was odd.

4 Likes

adding on to my previous post, I also experience massive lag spikes in response to specific boss attacks:

Elius’ lightning magic when using glass magic or thermo fist

Calvus’ blast attack on newer servers only, regardless of build or other circumstances

Shura’s teleport

3 Likes