Beacons in The Dark Sea

Beacons in The Dark Sea
effort 4.0 6 quality 4.333333333333333 6 reasonability 4.0 6

Structures spawning within the insanity 0-2 ranges of the dark sea, these structures appear as a bright lighthouse on small islands. These places have an aura of warding, clearing the senses of travelers (gives warding equal to player’s insanity level + 1).

In the lighthouse are NPCs that provide services, such as selling rare ingredients, potions, ship repairs and even tier 2 enchantments, and on the top of the lighthouse is a giant lamp that points directly towards the War Seas.

Since these people are many miles away from civilization, I don’t think they would have use for galleons, so instead, they’d opt to trade for materials such as food or golden petals to keep up… whatever they’re actually doing out in the dark sea (or just make them charge for galleons anyways lol).

this would be another thing to look for in expeditions, since it’s a relatively easy way to get materials (i.e. stormsalt, pearls, colossal clams, etc) and can be a nice break point during a run

the light is mostly a decorational thing in a gameplay sense but it can still help on the off-chance that a player is lost in the dark sea without the compass

apparently according to lore :nerd_face: this wouldn’t make sense. so let’s just say that the people here, if there are any, have set up a temporary base in the dark sea for an assignment from their kingdom. maybe in that case they’d have a more shabby encampment, or a repurposed ancient building, rather than a whole lighthouse

4 Likes

why? why would this be a good idea?

elaborate why you think this idea sucks please and thanks

im not saying its a bad idea, i think its a wonderful idea!
just state a reason as to why you want this added, otherwise we are getting braindead suggestions that dont state reasons and still get massive upvotes

If sufficiently rare it could offer some depth to exploration. cause now when your ship is running low on supplies, instead of immediately turning back, there is hope in pushing forward to keep your run going.

But that’s the thing, it cant be too common, as it would trivialize the dark seas

1 Like

this is very cool and helpful for newer players to explore the deeper ranges but

lore-wise, why in god’s love would anyone want to stay that deep in the dark sea? and how did those lighthouse even got built in the first place?

i guess you could say that they’re doing experiments or whatever

It’s an interesting concept, but you have to state why to add it

yes. just yes.

it doesnt really make any sense but its kinda cool
the value of exotic enchants would definitely need to be adjusted tho

I feel like this would fit as a part of those Archipelagos on the Clans card in the trello. I don’t think anybody would willingly stay in the parts of the Dark Sea with poisoned rain.

Yeah, pretty cool idea although it isn’t lore accurate. (Maybe it could have the npcs as half altanteanised people who are still sane.) Honestly the Dark sea just needs more content.

This is basically just the Archipelago idea but with warding

2 YEARS AGO

how??

Bro just re-joins like nothing happened

I’d say it would be nice, but it simply makes no sense, as Vetex stated that people in War Seas almost never go to the Dark Sea, and even so, the environment doesn’t really make it a hospitable place. As a concept its great, but it would simply make a lot of plot holes.

could change it to just be within the 0-1 range, or even just range 0. i said ranges 0-2 initially since even though it’s already pretty far in, it’s not exactly the far reaches at that point

Even then, it still doesn’t make much sense. Vetex states that nobody really goes into the dark sea at all in the canon

Enizor knows that there are stuffs he need that only appear on dark sea so its safe to assume that at least some people do have knowlesge about it

with knowledge comes curiosity, someone will 100% try to go in

maybe not building a whole a$$ lighthouse tho…

we really all forgot about enizor :sob:i was ready to bring up ambanes too

Surprised that this got so many stars in the balancecord but so little votes in the forums (its a repost by the same person).

If this doesn’t make sense (namely the shopkeeper with npc part), then I think it would be cool if they were themed off broken ships instead. Like a ship that sunk/crashed and has some lights still on. I think it would be cool and sufficiently spooky; maybe also add some special chests to mimic what the shopkeeper would sell.