Boss Mockery

Boss Mockery
effort 5.0 9 quality 4.555555555555555 9 reasonability 4.7 10

Currently, the main interaction bosses have with the player in terms of dialog comes before and after the fight, with occasional “stage two” hints resembling anime quotes. While these are sufficient, I thought it might be fun to give the bosses additional dialog when the player inevitably loses to them. Multiple other games have similar features, with the taunting words serving as fuel of the player’s determination to kick that sucker’s arrogant rear.

Thus, I have written one-liners for each boss currently in Arcane Odyssey. These would appear as dialog boxes just below the “slain by _____” in the Black Death screen, with the boss’s voice byte playing as the words appear (the voice byte being that repeating noise that plays when the character talks in a text box). Note that this will only happen to players who have not killed the boss before.

Shura’s Lines—

• “I told you that your presence was unwelcome. A pity that you forced my hand like such.”

Iris’s Lines—

• “Rrrraaahhh! Perish into ash, Ravenna scum!”
  • “Mess with fire and you get burned. Mess with me and you get dusted.”

Elius’s Lines—

• “I promised you would not leave this island. I do not break my oaths, not to the order, not to anyone.”
  • “Haha! You could not compare to my power! That is what the order’s training grants me.”
  • “Barely even a worthy challenge, you were.”

Argos’s Lines—

• “Hmph, I have strained more to crush ants under my boot.”
  • “Men, take this one to the cells, get ready the… delay that order, the weakling is already dead.”

Cernyx’s Lines—

• “Thou were unworthy of to even hear of Cernunno’s will. Prepare a grave for this one.”
  • “It is unfortunate I must spill blood upon His sacred ground. But your blasphemy could not be tolerated…”

Carina’s Lines—

• “MAHAHA! I knew you were weak from the moment I saw you! You never stood a chance!”
  • “Grawhaha! Did my brother actually lose to you, or did he try and spare you out of pity? I won’t make the same mistake!”

Calvus’s Lines—

• “Like the worm that you are, you crawled onto my righteous path and were crushed.”
  • “The mines were too kind a fate for you. This time I won’t even grant you that mercy.”
  • “The darkness of your kind’s ignorance has been quelled by my radiance and the Order’s wisdom.”
  • “And so the Order prevails. I pity you, not able to see the new dawn of magic.”

(Bosses in the future should be given an amount of lines depending on how much players lose to them on average. Hence why Calvus has many.)

16 Likes

Carina’s “taste my boots” line from the original idea was changed on account of me remembering what fandom I was making this for.

1 Like

“Mrrrrow! Perish into ash Ravenna scum :heart:!”

• New Church of Iris propaganda
2 Likes

It would be cool as a detail,but I feel like it would be hard to hire some voice actors considering the game isnt THAT popular (unless vetex gets friends that will help him do it),and if it gets added I hope there will be some boss death cutscenes (as in when YOU die to them),like Shura stabbing you from behind after using teleport,or You getting knocked back by the Iris blast/explosion,unable to move. For Argos,Elius and ETC it could be just a reverse death cutscene (Like Elius,for example,will paralyze you, and then finish you off with a spear/scimitars,or a huge rock falling onto you while fighting Argos,and then he tells his Men to take you to a cell)

2 Likes

This will only apply when you fight bosses for the first time btw so it wont be annoying,or perhaps a toggleable option

It’s… text boxes. There’s no other voice acting in the game, that’d be an entirely different suggestion on its own.

I also specified that in the base suggestion. It’s only for up until you actually beat the boss.

Nvm im a dumbass LOL

1 Like

I saw this in that “Make bad ideas” post… This would be very cool…I feel like WoM had something similiar but this would be fun!

nice, but whats stopping this suggestion from being able to be applied to mirages too?

Did you forget what community this is
(wait till arcane reddit finds out)

this is SICK

can u like change this so some simps dont take it wrong

his ABSOLUTE RADIANCE

absolute cinema

1 Like

Cool idea if it was just text, but vetex has stated that adding voice acting that wouldnt sound cringe would be difficult and not worth the effort, plus getting a voice actor for EACH boss (bearing in mind that by the end game there will be dozens) would cost alot and finding them would be even harder

A “voice byte” means the little noise that players repeatedly when the character talks. It’s not voice acting, it’s already in the game.

I did, but you do realize that it’s impossible to make those depraved souls not simp, right? It’s domination dialog, no matter what they say someone’s gonna misinterpret it.

replace with singed

easter egg idea for calvus:
“You must not give up just yet…
[Player_name]! Stay determined…”
why referencing asgore? its funny

1 Like

This is a neat idea, my only concern is some of these lines come off a bit cringe, and even if in the case this suggestion was used but Vetex made his own lines they still could be pretty cringe.

Meanwhile, the game’s actual dialogue: