Character Creation Nitpick

Did any of you guys notice this very much immersion-breaking text?
Not only does it spoils you the existence of the Dark Sea and of Hecate Essences, but in doing so it also stops you from actually relating to the amnesiac character that doesn’t know anything about the world (it also is a lie as the magics aren’t all equal in power as seen in some absurd builds).

1 Like

Canonically before mages are born they see that screen, they just forget

“Immersion breaking” it’s the character creation page

7 Likes

Eugh! I hate it.
God forbid people do research to find things out in the 21st century

nobody who is new would understand what the dark sea is from one sentence

new players are like cavemen, attracted to bright flashy lights
like lightning conjurer

its like if im born and the doctor starts talking about fancy medical terms and then god goes “bro thats immersion breaking”

1 Like

what is that analogy even supposed to mean or prove???
(edit)
i thought you were yrni bc im tired and all i see is orange icon

the player starts a file
me being born

“you can change magic later with hecate essence in the far reaches of the dark sea”
doctor talks about fancy medical terms

yrni0 says it breaks immersion
god says “bro thats immersion breaking”

edit: mb all

yeah that works
i thought you were yrni defending your point and i was confused how you were doing it

i need sleep

accurate analogy

Irrelevant, there are ways to make immersive character creation pages, even with so many choices.
Also, immersion isn’t necessarily about being immersed in a story, but not seeing time pass when you’re doing something.

I agree that it is necessary to know that hecate essences are a thing, but this can be achieved through other ways (e.g. a quest asks you to locate one, an npc tells you about them, a story part in which you find one, etc.)

Me neither, but isn’t the dark sea supposed to be that big scary place that scares you for you to come back to once you’re stronger? Talking about it at the very start of the game makes it feel like a somewhat somber place that serves a bit of purpose but is overall calm, like a minecraft dark forest at daytime if you will.

This is the biggest non-issue to die on the hill of

It is a small issue, yes, but it remains one.
Not only does it achieves what I’ve mentioned before, but it also gives players questions that can’t be answered without going out of the game and making use of the internet, all while building up expectations that won’t be met.

Think of it as a rock that’s in the middle of an office; I can walk over and around it, I can jump and leap across it. It isn’t important in the slightest, but it shouldn’t be there.

nobody who isnt like 100+ hours max warding enchanted gear max brig is finding hecate essence anyway, new players wont even remember it

i kinda get yrni tbh, the wording could be more general just saying “you can change this later”

this would be so annoying to do

probably not even happening like, ever.

there we go

look this really isn’t as big of an issue as you’re tryna make it. Yes, it’s spoilers, and new players will have no idea wtf either of those mean, but it is not “immersion breaking” when it is on the character creation menu, that’s just incorrect. I agree they probably shouldn’t be on the character creation menu and should be an NPC instead, but it’s not really hurting anything that badly by existing.

No this literally just isn’t happening, it’s confirmed by vetex we don’t have to go to the dark sea for the story

I think the point of the message is not to help you learn about hectate essence but to portray the permanence of your choice in magic

1 Like

IMG_5899
The dialogue was there before hectate essence it was just changed with the addition of the feature. source above

it should say something like “Choose wisely, as it is very difficult to change this after creating your character.”

5 Likes

more like a rock thats in the middle of an office that’s lacking half its desks, because the game has many more important problems than this one