CRITICAL flaws of the game, and why people say its “boring”

I am coming out from my slumber to address this issue that many players are feeling. (Ah yes literally the second day of me taking a break) I thought I would check in again, and all I see are rant posts.

All the complaints revolve around how the game is boring. You guys aren’t wrong. I 100% agree with your reasoning.

It all comes down to PLAYER SATISFACTION.
The game simply isn’t satisfying enough for people to enjoy. Yes, it may be super complicated, with extremely well built features and a mature developer, however it doesn’t make the players feel REWARDED and SATISFIED.

Four main reasons for this:

• Long walks in quests.
  • Randomised NPCs.
  • Quest spawn rate
  • NPC aiming

Now before you click off and say “doublerun thats never going to change, because these are core features that define the game.”, just hear me out.

Firstly, the boring quests, combined with the smart NPC aiming. You literally walk for AT LEAST 400M in total to the quest location, which in itself takes up 80% of the total time it takes to do a quest.
AND ONCE YOU GET TO THE NPC YOU NEED TO KILL, THEY HAVE SMART NPC AIMING, SO YOU NEED TO ACTUALLY PUT IN A DECENT EFFORT TO KILL IT.
IN TERMS OF QUESTS, THERE ARE LITERALLY NO QUESTS, SO PEOPLE HAVE TO ACTIVELY FIND QUESTS. EVEN SO, there’s no GUARANTEE That they’ll find one.

Ok, lets compare to the somewhat rival of WoM, which is Blox Fruit. Both are RPG games. One is developed by kids, and another is developed by a guy who’s probably gonna get hired by Blizzard.

First impressions of anyone who has played both games is that WoM is way better well built. It’s another level of roblox game. HOWEVER, even though Blox Fruit lacks SO MUCH, it’s leveling system is ABSTRACT AND SATISFYING.

There is a sense of PROGRESSION. On each island, there are different NPCS at a FIXED LEVEL that all have a different theme to them. There are also fixed quest givers. As you level up and progress to each island and fight harder NPCs, you have this SOLID sense of ACHIEVEMENT that you are growing stronger.

In a sense, everything is TANGIBLE in Blox Fruit. When you look at WoM, everything is RANDOMISED, and players are getting FRUSTRATED that they don’t have a sense of CONTROL over what’s happening. When it comes down to the fundamentals of game design, people play games that are easy to understand and have a simple but immersive form of fun.

Take a look at World of Warcraft for example. Even though its a HUGE open world mmorpg, and players have to travel ALOT, at least theY know where they are going, because everything is certain. Now lets compare that to the one quest where you have to find 6 dark wizards in the area and kill them. Not sure about you, but when I get that quest, I literally just delete it and find a new one. I can’t be bothered wasting my time finding 6 completely random spawning NPCs.

Now going back to Blox Fruit’s leveling system, we see that it takes longer to get to max level compared to WoM, even within the first 2 updates it received. So it terms of time, WoM is much quicker. But what’s lacking with WoM is that it doesn’t make people feel as if they’re getting stronger. There’s no instant reward, such that players are not feeling motivated To keep leveling.

This is also even more exacerbated by the lack of frequency of quests in higher levels. When you’re a Starter Wizard, there are alot of quests, but each quest doesn’t give much exp. When you’re Apprentice Wizard, you get less quests, but more exp per quest. Which is more satisfying, do you say? Some may say Apprentice, but I think most would opt for a continuous sense of growth.

Another important factor contributing to this issue is the storyline and bosses. I seriously expected Vetex to be a bit more creative with the storyline and make it an actual story, but it just turned out to be a bunch of quests. Coupled with a no level cap raise (even just by 5 levels), this is literally why people think doing the storyline is more of a “chore” than anything else.
HOWEVER, a major reason as to why I think the storyline is actually somewhat good is because that vetex introduced TRACKING. As mentioned in my points above, this has given a sense of security for players doing the quests.

As for the bosses, making them randomised was not a good idea at all. It doesn’t give a sense of STORY and AWE (yes) that fixed bosses have. Like that one boss in AA at Doom village where you enter a cool little hole to reveal an epic evil boss is really cool. HOWEVER, if vetex plans to add fixed bosses in the future, I highly suggest he doesn’t just sprinkle them here and there within the 5000 level cap. I would rather have 3 fixed bosses within a span of 600 levels rather than 5 fixed bosses within a span of 5000 levels. Players simply don’t have the patience and scope to look at the bigger picture of the leveling system.

To summarise and reiterate my points, it all comes down to TANGIBILITY and SATISFACTION. Those are the two things that players are not getting from WoM. I dare say, the only good thing about WoM that has kept me going is the community. All the people are mature and nice. This is precisely why Guild Update is so hyped for many.

As for my suggestions on how to improve, they are as follows:

• Increase quest spawn rate, and have a guaranteed amount in a certain town.
  • Have certain fixed NPCs, and make them spawn more often.
    ^ fixing both of these should also fix long walks in quests
  • Have structures spawn more often, if not guaranteed with a randomised type
    ^ if you fix all of these then the difficulty in fighting npc aim should be compensated (and thank you vetex for adding the aiming nerf)
    **- Make the NPC level progression SHIFT throughout Magius, such that higher level NPCs may spawn more often in the northern regions of the map, and lower level NPCs will originate from the bottom right of the map, where we are now.

Thanks for reading, make sure to share your ideas in the replies.
Back to hibernating.

26 Likes

That’s a lot of bold letters

4 Likes

so, the thing is, the starting area isn’t locked to a specific area. Every time a town or culture is added, that’s a potential hometown, and by extension a starting point for new players.

12 Likes

i thought we are gonna get horses in the future tho

1 Like

there cannot be any fixed npc (i mean important npcs) becosue a player can jsut spawn in the otehr part of the map in this game everything its modular so you can t expect to have a “Higher lvl zone” and actually i realy enjoy the game like it is now, there is no need of npc lvl shift and about hte boss fights those are just the first 2 vetex can just put the boss in a structure like a cave that spawn randomly and boom but as i said before those are just the first 2 bosses which are relatively weak as the max lvl cap planned. about quests , you got a point i think when npcs sleep there should be other npcs that give quests in town so if you start the game and its night you are not stuck for 10 mins to wait the day.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree with this post, though i am a bit disappointed that you didn’t mention how min maxing kinda sucks right now, which is one of the most important things to do for players who’re chilling at max lvl.

I know that this issue is being addressed somewhat but here’s how i think that it should be addressed.

I agree with alot of this but I mostly hate the random spawning of bosses it isn’t that bad besides the fact that it is still broken in new updated servers

didnt read any of this but hi everyone

3 Likes

Ello thinggy

i can’t believe that these wandering bosses can wander around and have no fixed boss arena

8 Likes

I agree with some of the ideas in your post. However, I think that these are all features that will be improved upon in the future. I think the real problem here is that content takes a long time to be added into WoM, which is expected when you’re a solo developer like vetex. It’s just really hard for players to wait for weeks before an update releases, and depending on the content in the update some players won’t even bother to play the game if doesn’t have content that they want.

I expect that it will take about a year for all the main functionality and ideas of the game to be added. Only then will vetex start adding more content based updates. Of course, it would be good to get new content out sooner than later, but for now it’s better to play the long game and patiently wait until these features are added to the game.

what’s bad about the fact that you have to put in decent effort to kill npcs it probably makes defeating them more satisfying because they were challenging and not as easy as training dummies

what it makes sense not every single npc will have some problem and i’ve seen towns full of quests

if walks weren’t long lost item quests would just be easy,and encountering stuff in those walks is interesting

thats not the point

you realize we didn’t even reach 2% of the level cap right? and we aren’t in a ending world about to be dominated by some crazy tyrant like AA, so we don’t need story instantly shoved into our mouthes

WHAT? NPCS AREN’T DUMB AND THEY DON’T JUST WALK IN A STRAIGHT LINE IN MY DIRECTION? BAD GAME!!!

3 Likes

we’re almost a 10th into the storyline

there really should be some different quest types to spice it up

well we are already dealing with some relevant people like the bosses, and we are about to learn 2 magics, we just need the updates for it

Fixed bosses is the absolute WORST possible way you can implement a boss. All that would do is create a HUGE cesspit of people trying to grind it with their friends, especially in an open world game like WoM. This ruins the game for people who actually want to play it the way it’s supposed to be.

Guaranteed ANYTHING and level progression in WoM is also the worst possible suggestion that I’ve ever seen in my entire life and I’ve seen people trying to get Goku in Smash. You forget that WoM is supposed to be a WORLD with “living people”(NPC’s) and diverse places with the same amount of power. Making it like Rogue Lineage’s NPC’s(From what I’ve seen but I haven’t played it) and Blox Fruit’s Level progression would completely destroy what WoM is going for.

If you want to turn WoM into the next Mario Party or simulator game then be my guest. Just know that that will completely get rid of what makes WoM a good ass game.

(Although I do agree with your points about the quest pacing and storyline)

4 Likes

I agree with all of these. Kind of annoying that you have to sort through npcs to find a quest that’s of your level , walk 500+ meters and then fight a npc that feels like a robot with a watered-down aimbot more than anything else. I suppose vetex will probably make some changes to these things later on since this seems to be the general annoyance within the playerbase.

And clearly you are the minority of the population.

Never design a game. Trust me. You’ll get fired.

You missed the overall point of my reason. By randomising and making NPCs decently challenging, its making the players feel unsatisfied.

1 Like