Dark sea lightning is an awful mechanic and desperately needs some sort of rework

they should make a siege weapon that absorbs lightning strikes in a wide vicinity of your ship and fires them to do big damage to ships ngl

5 Likes

teslas in AO would be so badass tbh

lightningreticledemo
maybe even make it as simple as just a targeting reticle to show where exactly it’s gonna hit, quickly made a visual for both, know exactly where it’s gonna hit

though now i can probably imagine some people abusing that by luring atlanteans into getting struck which might be pretty funny

19 Likes

honestly how I imagined a visual system, nice.

I assume we’d be able to see it over oceans too?

you know, it’s a bit of a stretch, but if this is all chaotic magic energy, what if the warning circles look like actual magic circles? maybe a little distorted.

I’d make a good tester, tbh.

yeah unfortunately to become a tester you must be blind and deaf

1 Like

maybe the circles would be less advanced, possibly even more basic than aa’s

I forgot I actually had to be bad at testing in order to become one, aw well :pensive:

yeah, like some sort of arcane wild formation that isn’t really well made, as if the environment itself is casting magic.

Sensing be like:

Honestly I just think people are exaggerating it’s a super small chance of one being struck by lightning and it doesn’t even kill you and I doubt Vetex would do anything about it anyway since it’s super unecessary.

I think the issue isn’t the really how dangerous it is, but how unfair it is. You can just be going about doing whatever and take 700 damage with no warning. Nothing else in the game does that much damage without any indicator after you are actually aware of it.

I mean I did mention it’s kind of rare since I did 3 Dark Sea runs 2 yesterday and 1 today and haven’t been struck by lightning at all so I’d say it’s kind of fair.

Rare but unfair is still an issue, there is a reason that the legendary weapons in AO won’t be like the ones in AA. I also haven’t been killed by lightning but have been struck a fair few times, and when I’m low health there is the constant fear that I could just instantly die with literally nothing I can do about it.

I struggle with my own auditory and vision issues – it all ultimately comes down to the individual but Ive found that white eyes tend to flash their healthbar before even coming close to evicting you from AOs god forsaken mortal coil . And in general, I have grown a tendancy to peek my camera beneath the waves every few minutes [though that leads to me spending thousands every day on repairs… god bless my poor ketch]

However I had absolutely 0 idea that there any ques for lightning ever? until now? Reading this post? Ive been to the dark sea a fair amount, luckily never struck cause I just dont stand still but I always just assumed it was random.

I think a visual representation would be good – because any form of subtitles ever opens up a huge can of worms concerning translation, what should and shouldnt be subtitled, abuse of subtitles to avoid threats before you would have even realistically heard/seen them even with normal hearing, amongst other things

I think that the top of your screen should glow red/purple when the lightning is about to strike near you. It’s simple, mimics the current visual cue, and provides a quick and clear message to get out of the way.

1 Like

spoiler, normal lighting does not give any sound warnings

just dont be low

some games have subtitles for sound cues

tbf i get struck 2 times per expedition, none of those have been while fighting atlanteans but the point is they easily could’ve and I could’ve lost entirely outside my control

Exactly what happened to me. I was turning my ship around to fight an atlantean ship, and immediately got struck by lightning, and then 2 separate ice chunks from the sky. It instantly killed me from full health, and I have almost 1.8k health. Completely unfair, and I lost a lot of Dark Sealed chests. And I regularly get struck in each expedition I do (2-3 times atleast).