Deepwoken: Reaching for Greatness (A deepwoken criticism)

yeah deepwoken sucks but uhhhh the clips are kinda funny

3 Likes

clips are funny

I honestly hate the permadeath mechanic in a game like Deepwoken.

Mind you that I’m a Realm of the Mad God player, so I know how the mechanic works and why it isn’t infuriating in a completely PvE game.

You can find my Deepwoken experience right below.

Experience

When I first joined Deepwoken, I didn’t know much about it and before joining I was told about horrible things regarding being fucked since there were rkers everywhere due to luck and because I was joining late. (Jan 7)

First spawned in, Female Celtor, Sword and I was actually impressed by how ‘cool’ the game seemed at a first glance, the mechanics are easy to learn and hard to master which isn’t bad at all, and I actually like stuff like this, although infuriating when you meet someone better than you.

I spawned in the temple area so I had immediate access to the instructors.
Going on, I talked to the NPCs around the spawn area, some were useful, some weren’t.

Then I tried to sail, and boy was it ‘exciting’ (can’t find a better term between neat and cool).

I then arrived in Lower Erisia and got my ass beat by three bandits.

Fast forward, I kept dying to the bandits and got sent to The Depths and ended up getting backstabbed while I was talking to a guard which was quite infuriating since the person that attacked me wasn’t low-level at all: I was a mere power 1/2.

Then we arrive to my third life (nothing really happened on the second), and this time I decided to spawn on the ‘main’ spawn and instantly got killed by yet another high level while I was busy buying an item… interactive?

Then while I was in Lower Erisia, a Sharko spawned on me and obliterated me.

Again, in The Depths, I’m spotted by some high levels and they use me as a damn HP-pack.
That’s fine, I get to live while gravely wounded.

Thanks to a friend I get to escape The Depths and that’s when I decided that I had enough and that Deepwoken wasn’t a game that I could play without worrying 24/7 about getting teamed/killed.

Now, why do I dislike Deepwoken?

If I were to say permadeath, then I’d be right, I hate Deepwoken because of permadeath, but I don’t hate the game itself.

Let me clarify:

I think that the game itself, isn’t that bad, although I haven’t really experienced it fully because I left it after 5-10 hours of gameplay I believe.

The exploration? It’s kinda cool, I’ve heard good and bad stuff about it, but so far it was ‘neat.’

The combat system? The basics are kinda cool in theory, but eh in practice when you realise that people won’t really do that much at higher levels (PvP), still good.

The sailing system? Personally, it is quite nice, and sailing around is simplified thanks to these gates, though the only thing I dislike is not having a map (I don’t mean WoM’s map since for the kind of game that Deepwoken is, it’d be ‘handholding.’)

So why do I dislike this game so fucking much?

Rant

Because of permadeath.

Permadeath ruins this game so fucking hard it makes me think they took inspiration from the Battlefield 2042 devs and decided to go the EA route: milking this game as hard as they could.

You can’t put permadeath in a PvPvE game where low levels aren’t even allowed to exist because some people need that mental trip to feel good.

Like, holy shit, the game, the mechanics, they aren’t bad, sure, luck ruins them a little bit because killing is something you are ‘kind of’ forced to do (they said that PvP wouldn’t matter for progression and in case it would, its influence would be minimal).

Talents, Mantras and whatever else are things that I can’t really judge, but so far I’ve heard and learnt that people go for metamancing builds and are ‘forced’ to kill to have a higher chance at obtaining said metamancing stuff.

And why is permadeath so important? To add a difficulty? To ‘make you feel that sense of adrenaline’ or some bullshit a failed philosopher would say?

You can do all of this without permadeath, and I can tell you, that the positive felt experience of this game would increase if it weren’t for it; you died? No big deal, you just lose exp and money (Voxlblade type).

And if someone complains about ‘but restarting lets you experience more builds,’ alright, you’re right, but what does it have to do with the fact that you could just put a Restart button instead of having to go through the 7 Steps to Hell?

Oh, wait, you think that progression would be too easy if permadeath were to be removed?
Why is that so? Because you’ve learned all of the places to farm at? Because you consider the game too easy and since then you have forced yourself to kill newbies because you need that serotonin?

Why can’t progression be ‘extended’ at the expense of permadeath then? Is it because ‘I’m saying to change the identity of the game?’ Well shit, may a meteor fall upon us if I’m right because if permadeath is the only trait that your game can be remembered of all the other things, then there’s an evident issue in game design.

Wait, but other games like Realm of the Mad God exist, and the theme of permadeath is much more evident there, so why are you complaining about this?

Because in Realm of the Mad God, a fucking PvE game, aside from connection issues, it’s YOU who decides if you have enough skill to survive that shotgun instead of OTHERS. (unless a Miasma moment comes, in which case I’m sorry for your loss)

In Deepwoken it’s the exact opposite, the RNG decides if you have the good stuff and the OTHERS decide if you have to live or not depending on if they have good stuff to combat you with.

Rant over, for now.

The game had potential, in my eyes, but it was wasted into attempting to be the successor of Rogue Lineage instead of becoming something… more.

10 Likes

Honestly, you actually almost never wipe to players. I have done a shit ton of runs now (a bunch of power 50+) and about 4/5 of those life’s ended not by the hands of others, but by the hands of a NPC enemy

It’s already miles better than rogue lineage imo

5 Likes

Lord_Sendo comes in then calls yall vetex fanboys :troll:

what is this

that’s rule 34 lmao

Nothing!

is it concerning theres ao r34 even tho the game aint released

It’s all drifa

also why does the results for deepwoken r34
1 - actually high quality
2 - how are there so many comments (50+) on a single post wtf (comments are funny too)

Yeah I actually had to search this up to see what it was about :skull:

2 Likes

awesome

Well deepwoken is the type of game that could’ve been good if they didn’t just try to make it rogue lineage successor. The game had potential and I didn’t mind about the perma Death However I realized before the game came out how grueling of a process it’s going to be to get your levels back because of level 60 sweats at spawn island killing level one Freshies. Also the ping issue is just overwhelming How’s the servers I go and give me At least 600 ping then there’s some good servers that give me around 50 ping. Now with the recent update that you can pick your region is a lot better but it doesn’t solve everything. Some of the bosses in the game are really fun however most of the time you need to at least have 10 people and most people in the game are luck Hungry people. Oh and luck system I would be fine with it if people actually knew how it worked Like half of the time Level 50s kill like level 10s thinking they would get luck or like the 40 people group just trying to kill whoever they find.in all the game had a lot of potential and if they made it a little differently it could’ve been a great game but where is a lot of mechanics that need to be changed.

However I still play the game because it can be fun with friends

By the way sorry for the terrible grammar

deepwoken with a change of devs and fix of some peculiar features can become a good game

1 Like

Ok I’m bored so I’m gonna give me criticism on Deepwoken aswell
Honestly Deepwoken is one of those “fun to play” games that are actually pretty bad in game design.

Honestly I am a fan of permadeath in games and I wish more games have them as it makes the player more serious when playing but I feel like permadeath in Deepwoken is pretty unnecessary, especially with the state that it is in.
First of all dying itself is a punishment as you can loose items which may or may not be very valuable, aswell as that it is very easy to get wiped because of things such as: lag, high level groups with people that are like progressed to endgame with the best gear possible, random glitches, exploiters which end up taking like 6 days to ban despite blatantly flying around the map, or just straight up being unlucky

IMO the main thing that kills Deepwoken is 100% how unstarter-friendly it is. When you first start, I will guarantee you that you will have almost no clue what to do, so most of the time you will spend like 3 hours wandering around not even progressing OR end up just searching up a beginners guide on YT. When you finally learn the game and think you are pretty decent you head to an island and instantly get blasted by a single bandit because you probably don’t know shit about the PvE, which you would only know about if you spawn in isle of vigils. When you finally master PvE you then have to deal with PvP which is MUCH more different and you will have little to no preparation/ training for unless you have a friend to spar with, witch some people don’t have. ontop of that you will definently get killed by some random level 40 ganking level 1’s for no reason which encourages more people to quit the game

Deepwoken is a pretty solid game for the Roblox platform but it has tons of issues ngl

1 Like

wow lmao

worse than I thought

im glad others actually see how mediocre the games design is, i haven’t even bothered to play the game due to its community and permadeath but just based off all the stuff the testers complain about with it i can tell its pretty bad

17 Likes

after reading this im glad i still play wom and not midwoken :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :-1:

2 Likes