Elemental Encounters Results!

Not sure if I should put this in #writing:general-writing or nah, so I’l be safe with it.

SORRY FOR THE LATE RESULTS I WAS A LITTLE BUSY AND I HAD TROUBLE DECIDING A WINNER

First Place: @Danny_Zou’s “Winter

This one really captured the depth and power in the Elementals that I envisioned them having, while also giving the Elemental itself character! Loved the introspection of it and how it highlights the truly mysterious nature of all Elementals. Awesome job!

Second Place: @LordOfTheBloxxed’s “Fool’s Encounter with the Feathered Serpent

I’ma real sucker for watching my protags get beat (not Tokyo Ghoul tho, that one just makes me sad), so it was really entertaining to watch this guy lose everything to his overconfidence. The Quetzalcoatl was magnificently portrayed as something pirates the world over should rightfully fear!

Third Place: @LonesomeWolf’s “Roles

Much like the former, I love to see this kind of drama and conflict, along with a similar sort of internal resolution of the self as @Danny_Zou’s.

So I hope you guys had fun with your prompts! Sorry to those who entered and didn’t place (if you want a reason why you can dm me or ask here [asking here will recieve a public reply]), but congratulations to @Danny_Zou, @LordOfTheBloxxed, and @LonesomeWolf! Your pieces will be done ASAP. 2nd and/or 3rd place prizes may appear before the release of the Sand Crab Elemental (the last one) since they’re to be sketches and not finished pieces.

8 Likes

screams

cries

1 Like

The protag beating part is only half from personal experience.

But on a side note I might rewrite like a quarter of the whole thing after the advice I got, thanks again for picking my story out of all of them for 2nd. Also good job to all the other competitors, lot of really nice stories from all of you. Wouldn’t say there was a single bad one.

1 Like

Being the guy on the top of that list I really ought to say something so uh…

I actually did read every single one of the elemental encounters stories (I think). I really loved the way people wrote and the magic that flowed through their words.

An elemental is… a being of pure magic, a living well of pure power, something that is far more than meets the eye. They are the physical embodiment of the storm, the fire, every element that is and could be.
To capture something like that in words, in text, is an achievement in of itself. It’s like pinning down a cloud and examining its composition, like catching that illusive rainbow that’s forever disappearing into the mist. It’s magical. Every single person who has written something for this, who has tried to put the essence of an elemental into words, has experienced, has made magic. That’s what writing is about, really. To create magic, so that others can experience it.

That’s all I’ve got to say.

5 Likes

gee thanks i feel way better about myself now

now that confidence is going down the drain due to a 9 letter word called criticism

congratulations

2 Likes

I’m just happy to get anything.

1 Like

you guys need do a book about this

The best I can do is informational books and world-building (like encyclopedias), but these guys definitely could

I am depression but not that surprised

:frpensive:

Do I hear an opportunity for an epistolary work?