Fatigue and Resting

Proposal

Instead of using up health when stamina is empty, continuing to use stamina-draining actions will subtract from your maximum stamina. This loss in maximum stamina would be temporary, and it would slowly go back to normal over time, but much more slowly (at least 10-20 times slower). You can lose up to 90% of your stamina gauge before it switches back to draining your health (and the HP loss would be harsher), but in the vast majority of situations you wouldn’t go that far. There are ways to recover from fatigue faster, which I will list in the next section.

Details/background on your proposal

The stamina bar would have a visual part of it greyed-out to show your fatigue, and an icon would appear next to the stamina bar. Hovering your cursor over the icon would show how much fatigue you have, and how much time it would take for you to fully recover in your current state. While you are not in combat, there are ways to recover from fatigue faster.

• You can speed up your recovery by sitting or lying down anywhere (using the emotes) for 1.5x recovery rate.
  • You can sit on certain furniture (such as chairs or benches) for 2x recovery rate.
  • You can lie down on sleeping mats or sleeping bags for 2.5x recovery rate.
  • Lastly, you can lie down on beds for 3x recovery rate.

(These values can be adjusted if necessary.)

Reason to add/change

I feel like this system would give a realistic purpose to furniture (and some emotes), as well as provide a harsher penalty for spamming certain actions in combat, so you can’t just tank the HP loss. This would not lead to greater stamina costs for actions. As long as you don’t go into the negatives with your stamina, this wouldn’t affect you at all, and even if it does, there are plenty of ways to recover. With most cases, people only go slightly into the negatives with their stamina, so they would only have a tiny bit of fatigue, which they could recover from in less than a minute.

i think it would be cool to rest on your ship while sailing

this is kinda neat and i guess food could help too?

we better be seeing redbull in game to add extra stamina :mariomug:

5 Likes

it’s interesting, especially considering running won’t take stamina

also food is gonna exist

2 Likes

Oh, food! I didn’t think of that. Yes, if food was added that could help with this. I’m not sure if I should edit the suggestion to include that though, since we don’t know how food would work yet.

4 Likes

Yeah. All in all Imma vote

Eh idk, it just sounds like an annoyance. Losing health due to a low stamina is hardly a consequence at all, so replacing it by being forced to stand still to recharge your max stamina at a not-super-slow speed is just annoying.

It also sounds especially bad for strength mains since they use their stamina to move and to attack.

I’m probably expecting the recharge time to be much slower than it would be tho

2 Likes

As long as you give yourself a moment to recharge your stamina (and running won’t use stamina in AO), you wouldn’t get the penalty in the first place. And yeah, the penalty for using slightly too much stamina one single time would only make you lose like 5-10 points of max stamina for a few seconds. It’s no big deal unless you try to spam.

Maybe there could be something to increase your max stamina when you upgrade strength? Or maybe even agility!

It being annoying, isn’t magic recharge annoying? Isn’t running out of breath annoying? There are so many annoying things and yet nobody complains. You will easily get used to it, it also makes things much more interesting.

Both can be done midfight, fatigue is literally punishing you for playing too much without resting

You can still recover while fighting.

For the record, this could be made WAY less harsh by just tweaking a few of the numbers. For instance, perhaps you could only go down to 50% max stamina as the hard limit, and you could recover faster as well.

Look, I’ll just make it simple
At best, it’s something you don’t notice yet brings nothing to the game
At worst, it’s an annoyance

2 Likes

Well, it’s pretty justified in my opinion. Instead of just going up and PvPing, you will have to prepare before the fight. Make sure you aren’t too fatigued, making sure you got all the right gear equipped, etc etc.

It will also teach people to stop spam high jumping to recover stamina. :fr: Sure it’s a strategy but it kinda shouldn’t happen. You’re just taking the punishment with like no actual side effects. You’re supposed to care about the punishment, not just ignore it.

The main point was that it only is a hard punish for spamming heavy attacks (beyond your stamina bar). And even then, you could still fight without worrying about it too much.

In never thought about the defensive side of the spam. That’s a good point.

anything that doesnt add to the main story line or benefits the player is annoying and should never be added to the game, magic charging should be removed and our health bars should stay full indefinitely because dying is annoying, this suggestion is incredibly stupid and you should be banned from the forums

take my vote

1 Like

Realism < Gameplay

1 Like

IMMERSION

GIVE

:nod::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

I actually REALLY agree with this not because i am a friggen magic main because i really hate tanks with high hp gear and stuff killing people in pvp just because the hp punishment is almost nothing to them they spam moves ALWAYS like BRUHHHH

1 Like