If you had superpowers, would you actually be a superhero?

no lol, i might stop crime if i see it but im not actively hunting it out

if you had super powers the government would arrest you and throw you into testing facilities to try and reproduce your super powers and in the end militarize them

That’s why I said I would stay low-key so the government doesn’t dissect me.

most likely no

if i had telekinesis they wouldn’t have the chance

you’d probably get tranqed in your sleep and then be in a coma for 5 months while they analyze you

If I had telekinesis I’d probably just accidentally cause people to recreate the salem witch trials

if i had telekinesis i would be very reckless and possibly accidently destroy the planet

honestly i’d still like to have either telekinesis or teleportation

nah

definitely nah

help people out everynow and then ? sure

actively try to find crimes and such ? nope

superheroes do lots of other things though

hell nah i develop immortality

I’d just mess around with those powers and maybe save someone if they seem to be in a life-threatening situation

So does the police, fire fighters, EMTs, paramedics. And they’re actually trained for the job.

And superheroes can do anything their powers allow them to. The Flash once rebuilt a crumbling building, Superman has saved victims of domestic abuse, and Spider-Man has saved thousands of people in the time he’s been doing his career. Superheroes can and do do a lot of things that isn’t just “punch bad guy”, and even when they do “punch bad guy” at least it usually helps contribute to the world a bit. Also, there are heroes in certain settings that can be specially trained to be a superhero. (MHA)

the problem is this, you aren’t The Flash, and you certainly won’t be Superman. You’re a real person who isn’t the writer’s favorite. Things will never go the way you intend them to, and the things you do won’t automatically be justified even if you had the right intentions. You are the most dangerous person alive anywhere you go, one slip up and someone will die, would you use your powers so sparingly considering that fact

That depends a lot on the person and the power.

yes (especially if it’s sparingly)

The question was about whether “you”, i.e the people on this forum about what they will do with some kind of special power. Most people do not have the skill needed and the mindset required for that line of work. And since we don’t live in the world of comic books, where superhero are exempted from crimes because they have good intentions behind their actions, it’s incredibly dangerous to do something without the skills required as you might accidentally cause more damage than what would originally happened if you had waited for emergency services to come. To assume that “but if I don’t come in, someone will die” is egocentric, as if you come in, things might even worsen, because again, not everything will go as planned, and everything will likely to not go as intended

no lol

Yes, and what happens to “you” will depend on yourself and your power.

Invincible, X-Men, and literally several other genres would disagree. Other genres of stories can have characters also do something illegal (i.e, stealing a helicopter) because of good intention. If you mean the damage heroes cause when fighting then Iron Man had already established damage control to clean up after fights, and there was a comic where Superman wanted to move an incoming fight (the comic being “What’s So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?) somewhere else to avoid damage and casualties, and probably lots more examples.

dang man didn’t know wanting to help someone was egocentric :skull:

Also, would you rather have them not do anything and just let a person die?? Are you serious? How is causing some damage to property an excuse to not save a person’s life?

The damage they do cause also relates to their skill and talent and power (i.e, a guy with speedforce abilities will not do as much damage as a guy with super strength on the level of the Hulk)